Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:29 am

plus it once was the empires "Second City" the history of its name is "The name comes from the Old English liver, meaning thick or muddy, and pol, meaning a pool or creek, and is first recorded around 1190 as Liuerpul" whether this description is applicable to the current inhabitants is difficult to quantify.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#22 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:26 pm

Oh I dunno. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#23 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:43 pm

Well, it wouldn't be right to talk about it's incredible architecture, rich history,  it's importance as a port, or the football team

See and everyone thinks it's full of scouse robbers eh :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#24 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:50 pm

But it is full of those too :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#25 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:54 pm

So why haven't you got a shed Cliff ? :P

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#26 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:24 pm

pardon, but who the F would steal scouse!?!?

#27 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:55 pm

So why haven't you got a shed Cliff ? :P

Dunno wot ya mean :punishment:

pardon, but who the F would steal scouse!?!?

The French of course :P

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#28 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:15 am

Sorry to hear about your accident.  I don't know if you posted about it over on ADVRider either, but I never heard about it.  That sucks.

I'm glad your saving the TDM.  There aren't too many nice ones left in the states.

I haven't ridden much this year and keep toying with the idea of selling the TDM and just keeping my dualsport.  But I know the TDM is pretty much irreplaceable. And whenever I would eventually replace it, it would be with something a lot less unique and probably not any better.

#29 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:11 pm

Sorry to hear about your accident.  I don't know if you posted about it over on ADVRider either, but I never heard about it.  That sucks.

I'm glad your saving the TDM.  There aren't too many nice ones left in the states.

I haven't ridden much this year and keep toying with the idea of selling the TDM and just keeping my dualsport.  But I know the TDM is pretty much irreplaceable. And whenever I would eventually replace it, it would be with something a lot less unique and probably not any better.

Thanks!

My KLR has around 160,000 miles. It's been bored out, ports polished, custom seat, suspension, bars, wheels. (None of that kept me from hitting the pavement on it!!)

My TDM is basically getting the same treatment - to either match original "as new" spec or improve it (suspension for sure, which I've already done).

#30 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:59 pm

Top end with new pistons, waiting for rebuilt head

Attached Files

#31 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:50 pm

pic of head less valves attached

Attached Files

#32 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:17 am

Nice and clean

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#33 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:43 pm

Head almost complete

Attached File  TDM Head 4.jpg   72.02KB   1 downloadsAttached File  TDM Head 3.jpg   87.99KB   2 downloadsAttached File  TDM Head 2.jpg   94.46KB   2 downloadsAttached File  TDM Head 1.jpg   107.71KB   1 downloads

#34 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:46 am

A little bird tells me those valve stem oil seals are a pita to put back on as they are quite deep, so you'll basically have a new engine TD , woop woop.Will you paint or keep the patina ?

Did you go O/S on the pistons ! quite difficult to find them online.

#35 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:44 pm

Some here Cliff. https://www.gn-moto....ece-haut-moteur

#36 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:47 pm

Oh i've actually booked marked those, thanks for the reminder, i think that would work out a bit more expensive as opposed to buying a full kit, managed to track down one kit to 1st O/S which is for a mk2 but according to Haynes same specs apply for mk1 and 2, dunno if i'll need them yet though.

#37 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:01 am

I can virtually guarantee ya won't need 'em mate, it's more likely a question of, do you want them. :P

#38 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:11 pm

I can virtually guarantee ya won't need 'em mate, it's more likely a question of, do you want them. :P

Na dont want them at all, dont see any benefit to O/S pistons unless you have to rebore.

#39 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:07 pm

A little bird tells me those valve stem oil seals are a pita to put back on as they are quite deep, so you'll basically have a new engine TD , woop woop.Will you paint or keep the patina ?

Did you go O/S on the pistons ! quite difficult to find them online.

Pistons/rings are 2nd O/S sourced from a Yamaha OEM parts supplier over here online. I know I could have also gotten them from a local Yamaha dealership. Also replaced wristpins. 

Head has been decked by machine shop, new valves, springs, seals, new exhaust guides, recut seats. It was full of carbon, especially exhaust valve stems. Now clean!

Cosmetics will be the last thing. Not extremely committed to keeping it looking original. Maybe candy apple red or maybe a metalflake.

Unless you meant painting the engine. Unlikely. Engine patina nice.

As I probably posted elsewhere, all bearings are new now (wheels, swingarm, steering head), new Race Tech fork springs, new custom-built high performance shock by suspension shop in North Carolina, seat gel-pad installed with new custom seat cover, aluminum bars. Bike is intended to be a good rider for years to come.

Due to crashing the KLR650, I'm advised not to ride until one year has passed (September 9). TDM will be ready!

#40 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:11 am

Due to crashing the KLR650, I'm advised not to ride until one year has passed (September 9). TDM will be ready!

Ah well, plenty of time to fit a mk2a gearbox then, you may as well go the whole hog :D that's a lot of new replacement parts but i bet she runs real sweet.

Yea it was the engine i meant, you might change your mind once you've painted the rest of the bike though. Keep posting please, it's all very interesting :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users