• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeD

MikeD

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:57 pm

I'm sure this has been talked about plenty of times! I have not had my TDM900 very long, and love it!

I noticed it can smell a bit rich from time to time, so I thought I would have a bash at adjusting the CO levels. I was intrigued to find both Cylinders were set to +21. With the bike warm and a little bit of throttle both exhausts were chucking out so some smoke. Adjusted them both gradually and ended up on C1 @ +8 and C2 @ +5.

Given the range is -/+ 128, the figures I have don't seem to be  very much. I know every bike is different when it comes to this setting but is what I have typical? 

BTW its a 2002 with 32k on the clock, K & N filter and a standard exhaust.

Cheers, Mike

#2 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:43 pm

Peeps generally change the Co to richen the mixture at low rpm and sort the low speed snatchiness.

Perhaps a previous owner has made adjustments?  How is the slow speed running?

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:42 pm

It's good to see you have them at different values. There are differences between throttle bodies, and also one has a long snorkel and the other has a short one (can't remember whether left is long or short), so you can expect different values for that reason

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 MikeD

MikeD

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. When I got the bike I found it a little snatchy but that could of been me getting used to it, I had a Mk1 bandit before. However that seems better now that I have done the airbox mod. Since making the adjustment I haven't been out, but ticks over very smooth

I thought it was odd for both cylinders to be set the same (21), I simply kept adjusting them until the smell and light smoke went. Not very scientific! we will see when I ride to work in the morning if its any better.

I wasn't adjusting for any particular reason, part from interest, I have been working my way around the bike cleaning the filter (KN), oil change, rear brakes and today some fresh antifreeze. So far really very pleased with the bike!

Cheers  

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. When I got the bike I found it a little snatchy but that could of been me getting used to it, I had a Mk1 bandit before. However that seems better now that I have done the airbox mod. Since making the adjustment I haven't been out, but ticks over very smooth

I thought it was odd for both cylinders to be set the same (21), I simply kept adjusting them until the smell and light smoke went. Not very scientific! we will see when I ride to work in the morning if its any better.

I wasn't adjusting for any particular reason, part from interest, I have been working my way around the bike cleaning the filter (KN), oil change, rear brakes and today some fresh antifreeze. So far really very pleased with the bike!

Cheers  

The CO setting is similar to the idle mixture adjustment on carbs, so is really on effective at light loads and low speeds

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:10 pm

Welcome Mick, glad you like the bike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users