#21 Joe90

Joe90

Carpe Regular

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:15 am

Paid a visit on Thursday. Not looking for a TDM replacement although,as others have mentioned, I'd most likely consider the BMW F900XR if I was.
More interested in a 'retro/modern classic' stablemate and whilst I do like the Triumph Speed Twin and the new Kawasaki W800, my favourite remains the RE Interceptor which I first saw two years ago.
I was looking forward to seeing the Herald Brute but it didn't quite do it for me, particularly with the odd looking split radiator.
The new Rocket 3 was really impressive and the riding position felt spot on for me but at £20k that'll have to remain a fantasy.
If I'm not careful my next transport is likely to be this although I probably couldn't afford it!

Attached Files

#22 v8guy

v8guy

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:36 pm

Very interesting comments mate! I had a 'normal' VFR800 in the early 2000s - the last one before variable valve timing - and found the engine to be a little beauty. It DID have quite a bit of low down power but would fade off mid range and then surge in again as the revs rose. However I think the current engine is very different to the one I had.

Yeah, it has quite a different feel. I had one of the last before FI was introduced.. again, a cracking engine. I was relatively new to riding back then so perhaps didn't appreciate it for the gem it was. The VTEC engine in the 2015 bike isn't really lacking in low down power, in general, but it does feel gutless once road speed rises and it has more work to do in hauling the bike's weight along.

Re the 1200 Boxer - I wouldn't have thought you'd be saving much on weight going down the route??

10kg or so, so not all that much.. but a hike from 55ft/lb at 8k+ rpm to 92ft/lb at 5k rpm makes quite a difference! Big twins.. so much to like about 'em! :D

v8guy; 2003 TDM900 with added bling: Nitron shock, Racetech fork internals, 17" front wheel, K&N filter, Fuel silencers, PC3, Renthal handle bar, Oxford hot hands, Polisport handguards, Scottoiler (kinda..), Baglux, Givi monorack + pannier rails
My TDM: http://www.gtv8.org/tdm/

Current: 2003 Yamaha TDM900, 2015 BMW R1200RS
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)