#781 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:26 pm

Deffo a rich problem as it get worse when the engine warms up.  Pilots out to 3 turns is worth trying, bear in mind pilots aren't always set to the same number of turns.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#782 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:33 pm

Deffo a rich problem as it get worse when the engine warms up.  Pilots out to 3 turns is worth trying, bear in mind pilots aren't always set to the same number of turns.

Will check, mine were different initially, carb work in the morning then, i wonder what's causing the fuel leak at the tap from the fuel line, only happening under load and not leaking with the tap on while static, blockage maybe.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#783 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:10 pm

You could try the throttle blip test Cliff.

• NOTE: A rich problem gets worse as the engine heats up.
    • If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm drops below the set idle speed, then rises up to the set idle speed, the low speed mixture screws are probably set too rich: try 1/2 turn in, to lean the idle mixture.
  • NOTE: A lean problem gets better as the engine heats up.
    • If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm "hangs up" before dropping to the set idle speed, and there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm, the mixture screws are probably too lean: try 1/2 turn out, to richen mixture. Be sure there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm!

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#784 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:56 pm

Brill thanks i'll reference that when i need..

So i've pulled the fuel tap, dunno why it was leaking, vibration !! or summit to do with me carb issue, emptied the tank but fuel seems okay without any crap and the filters were okay.

Carb issue

First i checked the fuel height on the left carb and it was around 7mm LOW, right side in spec as they both were when i fitted them, having done the fuel height on the bench, so that was odd, took float bowl off and cleaned everything again, float bowl had no shoite innit and the jets gotta ultrasonic along with the housing, reassembled add fuel and rechecked the float height and it was approx 2mm above spec, odd again, was reluctant to start adjusting the float tang as i knew it had previously been okay, then noticed fuel leaking from the drain screw, least i think it's from the screw but when i popped the hose onto the float drain spigot the leak stopped at the screw but dribbled slow out off the hose with the screw done up......swapped the drain screw over to opposite sides and the same problem with the right screw, so i could have a damaged seat on the cover or the cover has a crack innit, but nowt i could spot... 

So while under way and bogging down the drain offs had hose attached which seem's to prevent the leak at the screw but it's their none the less, and am assuming this is the source of my woes.. leaking draining fuel so the bowl is not full but would'nt that mean the bike is lean now !  confused..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#785 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:11 pm

I could only see the crack in my floatbowl when the drain screw was fully tightened up. The crack ran along the length of the casing where the screw goes.

#786 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:16 pm

I could'nt spot a crack with mine tightened.. so can i correctly assume a leak is obviously enough to give me erratic revs !

Just spotted this video by shane connelly, worth checking this method..

#787 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:47 pm

No idea matey. :lol:  I guess it could if the fuel level is all over the place.

Good test in the vid, it'd help identify if there is a leak going on. :good:

#788 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:49 pm

Well it certainly wont help eh  :lol: but that's the 1st issue to address, cant do nowt else otherwise.. okie doke cheers mucka  :good:

#789 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:27 pm

Cracked float bowl, on the inside visible, fixed that with loctite quick steel epoxy type stuff, sets in 10 minutes flat, looks like the taper on the drain screw wont seat either so had to lose that, still it's a working bowl.

Finally got around to starting her up after dinner, pilot screws set 3 turns out, still spitting and back firing a bit, more the right carb, i'll be setting the battery up off the bike so i can fiddle with the pilot screws a little..bassads to get at..

#790 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 09:07 pm

Good job Dabs. :good:  Sure you'll get them carbs running sweet now you've fixed the leak.

#791 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 09:17 pm

Good job Dabs. :good:  Sure you'll get them carbs running sweet now you've fixed the leak.

Cheers, if i find i'm struggling to curb it with the pilot screws do i need to think about changing the clip up or down a notch on the jet needle.

#792 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 09:39 pm

It's not something I've ever done, from memory the only times I couldn't get a response from adjusting the pilots was when the choke plungers were rotten, think the end had snapped off in the hole and the other occasion was an air leak on the scottoiler vac connection.

#793 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 09:56 pm

Here's hoping then, would be nice to get out furra ride..

#794 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:20 pm

Who are you kidding, them pilot screws are a bollox to get at, one had fell out, no wonder it seemed odd trying to screw the bleeder, had to lift carbs to find out, 

Bike struggling to start off jump leads and bike battery (car batt needs a run, could'nt use that) so i put the battery back, i set the pilots at 3 turns out, did that with the carbs propped up so i defo know it's 3 turns, warmed the bike up and did the blip test which shows Rich, battery back out turned em in 1/2 turn, battery back in  :lol:  still popping away, sounds more aggressive .... and that's enough for now.

Incidentally when revving now it's bogging between 2-3000 rpm

Really need to have the battery set up off the bike to see if the pilots will make any difference.

All i can say is Arse.....

Edit.. i think at this point i may need to pull the carbs and give them a clean up again, i'm thinking shoite still somewhere as no noticeable change on screwing the pilots in 1/2 turn...

Edited by dablik, 09 August 2020 - 06:21 pm.

#795 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:01 pm

Who are you kidding, them pilot screws are a bollox to get at, one had fell out, no wonder it seemed odd trying to screw the bleeder, had to lift carbs to find out, 

Bike struggling to start off jump leads and bike battery (car batt needs a run, could'nt use that) so i put the battery back, i set the pilots at 3 turns out, did that with the carbs propped up so i defo know it's 3 turns, warmed the bike up and did the blip test which shows Rich, battery back out turned em in 1/2 turn, battery back in  :lol:  still popping away, sounds more aggressive .... and that's enough for now.

Incidentally when revving now it's bogging between 2-3000 rpm

Really need to have the battery set up off the bike to see if the pilots will make any difference.

All i can say is Arse.....

Edit.. i think at this point i may need to pull the carbs and give them a clean up again, i'm thinking shoite still somewhere as no noticeable change on screwing the pilots in 1/2 turn...

So th blip test still showed rich ?  Just wondering if the pilots need turning out to 3 1/4 to lean.  Did you try balancing the carbs ?  I found going from balancing to pilot adjustment and repeat is sometimes necessary to get them balanced properly.

#796 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:10 pm

I'm just sat here thinking that exact thing, especially as i can see the sliders are not in sync with one another, i'm also thinking i should of tried to even them up a bit even without gauges which i will have to order. Sure you or drewpy or both said to sync already..

Can i try and sync with a warm engine initially or should idle be below 1000 rpm for best.

So i've turned them in and richened,  out to lean and in to richen then !  The blip test method you posted has the pilots turn IN to lean mucka..

Just shows how lucky i was when the carbs were cleaned a couple of years ago eh, okay aint giving up, the bitch will work..

Edited by dablik, 09 August 2020 - 09:19 pm.

#797 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:24 pm

I'm really confused now ?

"Turn in to lean the mixture, turn out to richen the mixture"  was what I was advised the other day.....

I'm just sat here thinking that exact thing, especially as i can see the sliders are not in sync with one another, i'm also thinking i should of tried to even them up a bit even without gauges which i will have to order. Sure you or drewpy or both said to sync already..

Can i try and sync with a warm engine initially or should idle be below 1000 rpm for best.

So i've turned them in and richened,  out to lean and in to richen then !  The blip test method you posted has the pilots turn IN to lean mucka..

Just shows how lucky i was when the carbs were cleaned a couple of years ago eh, okay aint giving up, the bitch will work..

#798 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:25 pm

It might just be one pilot screw needing adjustment and a carb balance, esp. if the sliders aren't in sync.  Could also be air getting in past the diaphragms, or one of them.

Just lower the tickover as low as possible without stalling if you can't get it to tickover at 1000rpm.  You might find that after a few adjustments, the tickover will need lowering and should improve.

Factory pro say that for CV carbs..... Turn in to lean the mixture, turn out to richen the mixture.  But, I seem to remember some confusion about this being mentioned on here years ago.

#799 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:33 pm

Well, that's interesting....  

Without having a gas analyser, I suppose the blip test will be a good indicator.  But only if the carbs are balanced.

It might just be one pilot screw needing adjustment and a carb balance, esp. if the sliders aren't in sync.  Could also be air getting in past the diaphragms, or one of them.

Just lower the tickover as low as possible without stalling if you can't get it to tickover at 1000rpm.  You might find that after a few adjustments, the tickover will need lowering and should improve.

Factory pro say that for CV carbs..... Turn in to lean the mixture, turn out to richen the mixture.  But, I seem to remember some confusion about this being mentioned on here years ago.

#800 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:42 pm

Gotcha i've found the same as Factory pro on a Ducati forum for the same carbs but your saying it MAY be out to lean if turning them in makes no difference ?

Defo out of sync now though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users