#1 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 November 2021 - 07:51 pm

Just completed my ride out part of the bike safe course today.

Basically i get followed by the police and they criticised your riding to become a better/safer rider.

Turns out I'm good and could pass the 1st part of the  IAM course if I took it.

dead chuffed  :P

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#2 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 20 November 2021 - 08:18 pm

Well done, the only time I didn’t mind being followed by the police!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#3 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 20 November 2021 - 09:59 pm

Down here we have a voluntary 3 tier training system which is heavily subsidised by the gummint, Ride Forever. Full day training with theory and riding at Bronze, Silver and Gold level, beginner to advanced. 

It's really good, a full day for $50, about 20 quid.

Last time I did the Gold course our instructor was the district Chief Traffic Officer using a one way intercom, I can hear him but can't answer back..

The level of road craft and riding skill was amazing and very enthusiastic. I still chuckle thinking about hearing him shout "Gas! Gas! Gas!" as I exited corners. Turns out he just really loved the sound of the TDM getting the berries.

I hope to do another one in the New Year, the last one was like being coached around the TT. He also suggested we look at getting involved with IAM with the aim of training up to be local reps. Big shortage of trainers.

The funny thing with advanced training is it makes you ride faster despite focusing so much on safety. Never to old to learn, I reckon.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#4 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 November 2021 - 12:52 am

The level of road craft and riding skill was amazing and very enthusiastic. I still chuckle thinking about hearing him shout "Gas! Gas! Gas!" as I exited corners. Turns out he just really loved the sound of the TDM getting the berries.

Are you sure he wasn’t singing Jumping Jack Flash to himself?  :rotflmmfao:

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#5 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:52 am

🤣🤣 Very good Trevski 👍
<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 November 2021 - 11:18 am

I did one about 5 years ago, well worth (I think) the £10 I paid, plus a charity donation.

I got useful feedback and good encouragement to improve what I was doing right.

2 weeks after I got knocked off, while overtaking, i hesitated and forgot the officer who took me out had encouraged me to spend as little time alongside another vehicle as possible, i should have gunned it when I took it too cautiously.

Live and learn !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 November 2021 - 05:16 pm

I did one about 5 years ago, well worth (I think) the £10 I paid, plus a charity donation.

I got useful feedback and good encouragement to improve what I was doing right.

2 weeks after I got knocked off, while overtaking, i hesitated and forgot the officer who took me out had encouraged me to spend as little time alongside another vehicle as possible, i should have gunned it when I took it too cautiously.

Live and learn !

yes, i was criticised for being a bit slow in the country. but the leaves were down and wasn't taking chances under scrutiny.
I did catch up with the guys in front so we detoured a bit before following the route.
Great afternoon and it cost £65. I'm just glad I'm doing it right and not kidding myself.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#8 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 November 2021 - 09:08 pm

Are you sure he wasn’t singing Jumping Jack Flash to himself?  :rotflmmfao:

That's quick!

yes, i was criticised for being a bit slow in the country. but the leaves were down and wasn't taking chances under scrutiny.
I did catch up with the guys in front so we detoured a bit before following the route.
Great afternoon and it cost £65. I'm just glad I'm doing it right and not kidding myself.

My thoughts exacary,. so easy to get lazy and let bad habits creep in.

Not only is the training good but it's a grand day out and a pleasure to meet new riders.

Admittedly some of the riders I have seen on these courses are terrifying.Centre line fixation is the commonest cringe I suspect.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users