• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TitanNeil

TitanNeil

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:32 pm

Ugh. There is finally some nice weather outside and I am in the garage struggling to make my '91 850 run properly. I did a buncha stuff to it - new head gasket, proper valve shimming, replaced timing chain. I discovered how much water a gas tank full of stabilized fuel will develop over a Canadian winter (about 1/3 cup!)...

So the bike rolls over fine, there is spark (although it seems weak, bluish yellow rather than fat white) but I keep getting fuel pouring out when I go to start it up. It starts on one cylinder and when I play with the choke and throttle the 2nd kicks in then fuel comes out the overflow. I am an expert at bodywork/tank removal now, so I rigged up a separate fuel bottle to save me from that nonsense as I don't seem any closer to figuring this out.

Needle and seats, right? They are clean and nice. Now with the tank out of the way I can see the left carb backfiring upwards - and the over flowing hasn't even started. Did get the timing chain 180 degrees off? Is a weak spark to blame for intermittent firing? Any suggestions? I have had the float bowls off 3 times yesterday and today and no change...Is the left carb just dumping fuel in and causing the backfire?

I also replaced the emulsion tubes which were ovalled...

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:40 pm

It could be a sticking/worn float needle valve, or possibly a worn/damaged gasket or o ring that is causing it to overflow.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 TitanNeil

TitanNeil

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:55 pm

I pulled the bowls off and inspected the needles and seat, they are super clean. I don't know if they could possibly hang up, as I was tapping the carb with a rubber mallet when it was running and it made no difference, kept backfiring.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:33 am

The backfiring could be due to not having set the pilot screws and balanced the carbs.  Difficult to know for sure though.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 TitanNeil

TitanNeil

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:42 pm

Back at it have carbs off and have 2 questions:

- I found a large chunk of the graphite(?) header-to-muffler seal in the workshop, and looking at the joint there is soot that has blown out. I assume it isn't sealing well there at all..could that cause backfiring through carb?

- I replaced the emulsion tubes with OEM Yamaha tubes. When at rest, are the main needles supposed to close off the opening? If I put a hose on the main jet and blow through it, it almost makes no difference if the needle is 'bottomed out' or not in there at all - air goes through nonetheless. Correct/not correct?

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:48 am

Doubt it, more likely to be the pilot screw settings and/or a carb balance.  Might also be air getting in through the carb inlet rubbers, you need a good tight seal and the rubbers need to be without cracks and still rubbery.

Correct.

#7 TitanNeil

TitanNeil

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:31 pm

Thanks for your answers, Studley. I appreciate it. I will report back after checking the cam timing again and setting pilot screws and checking carb balance.

#8 TitanNeil

TitanNeil

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:23 am

Well, i'm out of ideas. I checked everything over again, including swapping float needles between carbs. Float levels are spot on, timing is confirmed as good, carb balance appears to be right, and still I have backfiring throught the left carb.  Any, repeat any, suggestions appreciated....

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:19 am

What "spot on" float levels have you set?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#10 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:57 am

Anything like mine was?? https://youtu.be/IV1uQq37ySw

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:02 am

Do both slides move up and down together, when you operate the throttle with the engine running, with the fuel filter box off so that you can see?
If not, there might be something wrong with the membranes, e.g leaking.

BTW backfiring indicates a lean condition: too much air or too little fuel.

Also, my experience is that aside from worn float needles, carb overflow can also be caused from tank rust particles. A good fuel filter prevents that from happening.
I was reminded of this again, due to the large amounts of water you collected over the winter.
Maybe also a partially blocked idle jet causes your lean condition. But check the easy stuff first (before disassembling everything)

Edited by MipeTDM, 03 June 2019 - 09:03 am.

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:15 am

Try adjusting the pilot screw.

#13 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:52 am

A distant memory now but I seem to remember leaning out the carb as much as possible (dropping the needle) and getting that effect. It went on to seize the engine next! (Not TDM). Hope you can solve it soon.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#14 TitanNeil

TitanNeil

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:52 pm

Yes, just like that. Hard to start, probably only running on right cylinder and left one popping when trying to rev it up. Is there a cure?

Try adjusting the pilot screw.

Is it an air or fuel screw? They are both 2 turns out right now. Would it make a difference at higher rpm, as it pops when I try to rev it up?

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:42 am

The cause of his problem was the bike sitting and the carbs gummed up, he left a few litres of petrol in the tank and left a can of Seafoam in a few days after running the bike briefly which cleared it up, did'nt work for wicki recently though.

PS aircooled68 is currently lounging hotter climes so doubt he'll be back on soon..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:06 am

Yes, just like that. Hard to start, probably only running on right cylinder and left one popping when trying to rev it up. Is there a cure?

Is it an air or fuel screw? They are both 2 turns out right now. Would it make a difference at higher rpm, as it pops when I try to rev it up?

I suggested adjusting the pilot screws to see if it made any difference to the backfiring through the left carb.  You should also try adjusting the carb balance, again to see if it makes any difference.  If it doesn't then you probably have a blockage somewhere, like Aircooled did.  If it does make a difference then you'll have sorted it.

#17 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:23 pm

As there seems not to be an answer yet, is it worth considering an electrical fault? You mention a weak spark. I have experienced mysterious and intermittent backfiring which was eventually found to be a corroded wire. There is much to said against this as a solution, but your checks have shown everything else seems ok. Just my pen'orth.

PS I made this suggestion on another forum and he just wrote in to say all well after changing rectifiers (which he thought ought to be ok anyway) and clean/greasing all leccy cotacts. (Sorry for the hard sell...maybe irrelevant).

Edited by Robodene, 04 June 2019 - 03:03 pm.

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#18 TitanNeil

TitanNeil

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:01 pm

Success!!!

After going through the carbs thoroughly, nipping the spark plug leads back a bit on both ends to get a better connection, and crossing my fingers it appears the backfiring is gone! It did it a bit on startup (I think the left bowl just fills a bit slower than the right) but then it cleared up and now idles and revs as it should.

I'm very grateful to the good folks here who posted their suggestions, advice and experience to help me out with this. Studley, dapleb, aircooled, Mipe, Robodene and dablik.....thank you. This is one happy Canadian who will now be touring on the (probably) only TDM850 in Ontario....

#19 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:22 am

Hooray! These challenges are all very well but you can do without them.

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:48 am

Happy biking. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users