#1 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:02 am

Happy new year one and all.

My old 99 TDM (vacuum fuel pump) had been off the road for about 8 months whilst I gave it a bit of a freshen-up. Anyway, I've done over 500 miles since putting it back on the road but have noticed that when I get above 90 mph in top gear and go for full throttle, it surges like it's running out of fuel. It only happens when I demand a lot of fuel at high revs in top gear, otherwise it fuels beautifully. First time it did it I thought perhaps it was carb icing, but now I'm not so sure. Is this typical symptoms of a fuel pump begging to fail or something else?

Thanks.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:50 am

Difficult to know for sure but you've mentioned the most probable cause, although a carb clean and balance might solve the problem.  Also worth draining the float bowls as water can accumulate there if the bikes' been stood for a long time.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:10 am

Blocked main jet or low fuel level in the float chamber ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:25 pm

Thanks guys. It pulls up through the gears fine, it's just when you demand high fuel flow after it's already been cruising at around 90 mph for a while. I guess it could be a partial blockage in the tank restricting the flow. I will report back when I find it.

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:44 pm

most loikely not this,     but please check the tiny small bore fuel tank vent / breather beneath the filler cap.  I use a length of strimmer cord and push it down thru the hole from the fuel tank end,  you will see the strimmer cord pop out underneath the engine (or where ever the rubber vent hose terminates).

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:52 pm

most loikely not this,     but please check the tiny small bore fuel tank vent / breather beneath the filler cap.  I use a length of strimmer cord and push it down thru the hole from the fuel tank end,  you will see the strimmer cord pop out underneath the engine (or where ever the rubber vent hose terminates).

Did the same but used a small syringe and watched the water flow out the bottom..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:32 pm

I know someone'll post this if I don't, so.

Might not be the best thing to be admitting cruising at 90mph.....and then opening the throttle.

#8 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:20 am

Might not be the best thing to be admitting cruising at 90mph.....and then opening the throttle.

Obviously when he was on holiday in Germany and testing it on the autobahns <cough>

#9 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:25 pm

Very good call my friend, I will definitely check this when I get around to it.

I know someone'll post this if I don't, so.

I didn't say I was on a public road...

#10 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:28 am

Generic fuel filter is a couple of quid & PoP to fit - cured my 850 from surging when demanding more fuel.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users