5 replies to this topic

#1 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:57 pm

In another thread we've touched again on the subject of crampbusters, and with the prospect of the longer distance riding season (hopefully) in view, I thought I'd jot down a few notes on devices which aim to ease an aching throttle hand. (Whatever happened to the old adjustable friction screw?)

In my case, Parkinson's has been chipping away at my stamina reserves and weakening my right hand and arm, so that I've been having to shorten my horizons and take more frequent rests. Cold is a major problem, and I try to avoid riding after dark. Roll on summer.  Anyway,  there are several devices which ease the strain, and while not exactly elevating me to Duracell Bunny status they do help - in fact, without them I'd scarcely be riding any more. I've not indulged in the big-money electronic cruise controls, but have dabbled a fair bit in simple mechanical gizmos designed to ease the pain. These divide roughly into two classes which I'm calling the "rockers" and the "lockers".

1) "Rockers" =: devices to reduce the effort of turning the throttle and holding it steady., Called throttle rockers in the US, and crampbusters here. Cue first picture:.

DSCN1359_zps25208a42.jpg

On the left at the back is the original Crampbuster - a strip of very strong but springy plastic about an inch wide, that clips around the throttle grip and allows the weight of your hand to open the throttle and hold it at a cruising position. More pressure increases its hold on the grip. Variants of different shape are available, like the second, broader version shown rebadged by Scottoiler. They do work,and some people love them, but I've found they get in the way of my big ol' hands when I'm trying to cope with slow traffic - hence my  attempt to take up less space on the grip by cutting one down as shown. Better, but still a pest and liable to cause a potentially dangerous throttle surge if knocked accidentally.  What has worked best for me is the "Throttle Boss" by Kuryakin, the home of Harley accessories - see front of picture. This is a tough, grippy rubber strap (For knife fans, it's like Kraton) that wraps round the grip and has a lump or knuckle that's just big enough to work as effectively as the Crampbuster's blade without getting in the way so much and is easier to put on and take off.

None of these devices, though,solves for me the pain and fatigue of holding the throttle open long-term, and so to....

2) "Lockers" - devices to hold the throttle open at a set position for cruising. Some people are nervous of the concept of a throttle lock, imagining an uncontrolled bike barrelling headlong into oblivion, but with common sense it's not so bad as the throttle can still be closed at will, It does call, though, for a certian presence of mind as to whether the lock is on or off, eg when approaching the end of a motorway, off-ramp or a roundabout, so isn't for the novice rider... There's a bunch of stuff in this category that address the issues of locking and unlocking in various ways, and involving different levels of attack on the bike, and the cost. e.g. The "Brake-Away"  (popular in the US) is a neat idea that holds the throtttle till you operate the front brake, but it's pricey so I've not tried it. Cue second picture:

DSCN1361_zps41507d74.jpg

At the front is a gadget that works quite well for me, particularly as it takes up v. little handroom. It clips firmly but not too tightly around the grip, and rotates forward & downward with the forefinger, to rest on the front brake lever and prop the throttle open until you choose to close it. It can still be awkward for me, though, especially with winter gloves, so I've been going to try re-using the bigger item shown here - the Vista cruise control, which I found was popular in the maxi-scooter world, and worked well on my Burgman. It just needs tweaking, I think, for the hot grips on my TDM. ( There's a newer version that would avoid the issue). All it does in essence is place a ring around the inner flange of the throttle grip, and close on to it when the lever is flicked down with the thumb; Release is simple by flicking the lever back up..The other parts are just a clamp on to the handlebars to provide a fixed point, and a bridge to it over the RH switch block. The last item in this picture is a simple home-made job out of bungy cord which fits around the groove between the throttle grip flange and the switch block; pulling one end tightens the loop  to grip the throttle and pulling the other end releases it.

3)  So, you'll be asking, which is best? It depends on individual needs and tastes. I use a combination of 1 and 2 - cue 3rd picture:

DSCN1365_zps531d1c50.jpg

All bits are available on Fleabay etc.

Hope this helps to summarise things, and doesn't offend those who are in the know anyway.

Sorry about the usual typos.
. .,

Edited by Pict, 02 April 2013 - 10:23 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#2 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:34 am

I've been using the broad rocker type for years, got them on all me bikes. They enable me to ride with my fingures resting on the brakes so i've got quick cover (and comfort), you simply accellerate by pressing down with the ball of your hand. I love them. The advantage is you can not get the the throttle open 100% as your wrist wont bend that far and thus a self-imposed fuel economy :P The only downside is not to ride without gloves. They can get caught in your cuff with err...an interesting life experience

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#3 TonyM

TonyM

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:40 am

Very helpful thanks Pict. I'm going to get one of the Scotoiler type as a starter, but do you know if there's anyway of fitting aftermarket electronic cruise-control at all? Cheers. Tony

#4 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:37 pm

Hello and welcome Tony. You'll see by the date of post#1 that this thread is very old. Pict doesn't get on here much these days, someone is bound to be along shortly with an answer to your question. Watching with interest.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:59 pm

I've seen one or two around but they are expensive - £600 and up. You could get a cramp buster for a lot less.

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:37 pm

with electric fly by wire butterflies cruise control would be fairly easy, but TDM is mechanical butterflies so some sort of stepper motor is needed,

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users