#21 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:31 pm

Your right i previously had some much better quality hose on but, it was a bassad to fit due to the od of 13mm and after a winter the hose had no flex at all and was stiff as a board so i replaced with those above, not so bad to fit but obviously bad quality or just unsuitable....

Will have a look how much oem are and at Wemoto, what i find also the od size is big for anything of quality, prolly car hose, will have a look for Viton but i think the price may require a substantial lottery win...

Be sensible for peeps to be checking though, they were working a couple of months ago..

Oops forgot........i think it's a combination of the tank on/off the bike so much and BAD quality so the E5 has had no issues eating that rubber up, other people seem to be running okay on E5 so i would'nt blame the fuel alone...

It's a heads up more than anything as i would hate to read of someone getting caught up in a fireball while riding...

PS how long does petrol take to evaporate  :D

Edited by dablik, 02 July 2021 - 07:37 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#22 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:40 pm

I trimmed the end off the feed pipe (oem) to tap as it had split on the end with me taking it off and putting back on many times.  Line internals looked good though.

Wemoto stuff is neoprene 12.5mm od. £6.04 per metre.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#23 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:17 pm

SAE J30 R9 seems to be the latest comes in same width 12.5mm as wemoto or 15mm, will be a squeeze though..

From what i remember the problem under the fuel tank with the fuel out and reserve is that you can fit the 12.5mm/13mm hose but will only be able to put a clip on one hose, no room for another, and a struggle to put hose on carbs as the Tee is plastic and hose quite stiff..needs must..

Edited by dablik, 02 July 2021 - 08:24 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#24 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:40 pm

Inside dia has got to be the measurement for ordering.

I'd bet thats some cheap crap rubber you've got on there, bloody hard to find the good amongst it all.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#25 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:08 pm

Just measured a stub on the fuel tap and looks like 6mm id pipe should fit snugly.  7mm pipe with 8mm bulge.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#26 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:17 pm

Just measured a stub on the fuel tap and looks like 6mm id pipe should fit snugly.  7mm pipe with 8mm bulge.

7mm may do it but i think the fuel tank stubs may be a little bigger, and normally for example 8mm id hose is actually er 7.3mm..might have a spare knockin about to measure as well  :good:

#27 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 July 2021 - 07:26 am

this just popped into my inbox today
https://bikerrated.c...-compatibility/

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#28 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 08:32 am

More reading, did'nt know fuel hose had a bend index,https://www.wayoutwe...d-tech/ethanol/

#29 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 10:19 am

Yeah, I noticed some hose sellers stated the bend radius in cm, now I know why. :good:

this just popped into my inbox today
https://bikerrated.c...-compatibility/

Reading the bit about using fuel additives.  100ml of fuel additive costs more than £6 and only does 20 litres so not really economical for daily use.

#30 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:10 am

This bottle will do around 16 full tanks, i would be happy to use the likes of Esso or BP premium but that's just not possible all the time when out, okay for the car..

Been having a little research, while i would prefer to use the best fuel hose possible and the price does'nt bother me (£10-£18 metre) problems will arise fitting due to the OD of said pipes, i know as i've fitted this size before, so i aim to go with neoprene fuel hose as supplied by Wemoto and Yambits, Yambits state this is oem fitment, i also just had a good luck at what i believe to be an old piece of oem pipe and it shows no deterioration, neoprene is also said to be safe for at least 12 months with Ethanol (E5 i guess not sure about E10) so i'll buy enough to have spare in the event and check it often...

I may buy a new fitment for under tank at some point and have additional stubs put on at a 45 bend to allow fitment of the claimed 100% proof fuel line...

#31 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:32 am

I've seen 6mm id hose with SS braided outer at od 10mm on tinterweb.  Not as flexible as reinforced rubber prolly but a lot smaller od.  The eco hose is summat loike 13.5mm od but is good for E10.  Given that other parts are subjected to fuel, eg. carbs, pump and tap there seems little point in using eco hose.  Easier to stick with E5 eh.

#32 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 July 2021 - 12:27 pm

Cliff

I've  been using that for when the bikes been laid up in winter for the last 2 years, thats a good price :good:

#33 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 01:05 pm

I've seen 6mm id hose with SS braided outer at od 10mm on tinterweb.  Not as flexible as reinforced rubber prolly but a lot smaller od.  The eco hose is summat loike 13.5mm od but is good for E10.  Given that other parts are subjected to fuel, eg. carbs, pump and tap there seems little point in using eco hose.  Easier to stick with E5 eh.

Dont like braided hose, Wemoto sell 8mm for mk1 12.5mm od and yambits have the 6mm and uses 9mm clips, also these mk1 carbs have all Viton seals from Litetek so the expensive stuff would be okay for my use except for the fitment, wonder if 6mm will do it, need oil filters from yambits anyhoo..

Cliff

I've  been using that for when the bikes been laid up in winter for the last 2 years, thats a good price :good:

Which one Steve, the good stuff ya mean ?

#34 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 02:11 pm

Cliff

the lucas

#35 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 02:55 pm

Cliff

the lucas

:good:

#36 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 02:17 pm

Just filled up with 99 RON Esso Supreme Unleaded.  The one that has 5% ethanol, but doesn't really have 5% ethanol.  £1.49 per litre :huh:  Anyhoos, will be interesting to see if my economy changes.  If it doesn't I'll prolly try the Tesco Momentum.  Not too fussed about my economy as I'm averaging 55mpg with spirited pootling, but more mpg would be a bonus.

#37 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:38 am

My $0.02

Re; Ethanol n TDM

FR has had ethanol in fuel for over 30 years + became FR most popular fuel some years ago - just saying - might have heard something by now? Or has the money generating FEAR machine sprung into life?

Not saying changes aren't needed for some vehicles esp. if fool lines changed to an ethanol non-compatible type (most likely - although the demon carb dismantlers may need new compatible seals - you 2 know who you are :P  ).

Yamaha say good from 1990 - heard nowt ill from EU pals with TRX either

Yes, ethanol can take on water which will then be in the tank if stored for long periods. One could do what long term storage folk did before ethanol - drain the tank and run fuel system dry? Remember the lead-free petrol & gummed up carbs bollocks?

If you have suitable seals etc. and use the bike, E10 is not problematic, cos it won't get to take up significant amounts of water.

So ride im cowboy, people yeeeehaw :good:

Previously discussed here: http://www.carpe-tdm...nce#entry365125 with some super info by JMC.

A new, entirely theoretical bridge between contemporaneous parallel universes is now available for testing in Pocket Universe Lab Eighty-Five.. Main Core is critical.....

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#38 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:46 am

thanks Fandango et al.

Had a read thru this topic and it is a bit of a headache. I run all me hedge trimmers, saws (i have one or 2....) blower, petrol winch etc on cheap petrol mixed with Redline racing 2T oil.  I am concerned about running our bikes on E10 due to fuel line degradation etc.

Regarding 3VD and 4TX fuel lines,  are they still available new from Yamaha?    

Cliff,  can you not fit quick release couplings to the fuel lines in order to reduce the strain/wear on the rubber hoses when you need to remove the tank off of the bike?  I wonder what it's going to be like 10 years from now with regards to E content in fuel?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#39 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 09:23 am

Yes Ken i could, i have one of those widely available quick release couplings on the overflow hose which helps a lot, originally had 2 but one fell to bits when installing on the fuel line a cupla years ago, decent one's are such silly money but if i'm ever happy with me bike i'll make the investment down the road...

After seeing the state of those fuel lines i took off after a years service i wanted to fit some decent hose, all OEM hoses not available or i would of gone that route as they seem to hold up okay, even 30 year old hose but sure that would play with my head..

I have fitted this fuel hose, a cupla things to note, you cannot fit this hose to the under tank tap on both spigots, they will fit but you have to clip them both and it's not possible to do so as they butt up together and so i have fitted a neoprene hose (6mm-7mm would be better) to the reserve tap as it's very seldom used and will get inspected periodically, also i had some compression hose clips which slid onto the hose fine but not suitable as i had petrol weeping at the tap, now fitted with ss jubilee hose clips 12-14mm and at tick over are good.. will road test when i can...

Agree with sweety pie above though, if your using the bike regularly no worries and emptying the tank at lay over prolly best idea, i will use stabiliser in the winter as bike lives outside so emptying the tank not wise really.. all in all it's a bleeding pain innit...Ken you've got lot's of hose to be buying matey  :huh:

Edit... having to fit a neoprene hose to the reserve seem's to make having the good stuff redundant i spose but it's less places to spring a leak.

Edited by dablik, 11 July 2021 - 09:26 am.

#40 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 01:09 pm

Cliff

what I have done before I lay the bike up is, go the local filling station to brim it, take some additive with me, add to tank,

by the time I'm home its all mixed and pulled through the system :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users