• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 September 2022 - 10:18 am

This has got me puzzled...?

My 1991 3VD TDM850 had been parked up in the garage for seven days after a 200km run and apart from the battery being put on charge nothing had been done to it.

Without fail, every time I take my bike out, I give it a fairly thorough check-over.  Lights, chain, etc, and especially tyres, including pressures.  So, I was a bit disgruntled to find my rear showing 0.85 bar instead of 2.70 bar !  Seven days previously the bike had handled faultlessly especially on the twisty section just before home.  I assumed I had picked up some sort of penetration on the last few kilometers and resigned myself to a close examination of the rear tyre to find the damn thing and if possible to effect a repair.

I reinflated the tyre, a Battlex BT023 with on average 6mm tread, to 2.70 bar and then carried out a meticulous check for a nail or screw or whatever.

Found nothing !   

I dismounted the wheel to check for bubbles while immersed in a bath of water.

Not a single bubble !

The valve was new with the tyre about a year ago and the seating at the rim showed no signs of leakage. So I left it as it was and checked the pressure the next day,  exactly 2.70 bar.

I gave it another 24hours then another pressure check showed absolutely no pressure loss. I remounted the wheel, went for a very brisk local run, and rechecked the pressure on return, which was now 2.85 bar but this morning, cold, was back to 2.70 bar.

Was I imagining this ?  Don't think so because I had to inflate the tyre with a floor pump and my shoulders protested for a bit afterwards.

Any thoughts ?

#2 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 September 2022 - 01:02 pm

Sometimes, just sometimes, the core in the tyre valve can unseat itself and not seal properly. Pumping it up again would have moved it an maybe re-seated it. It may be a good idea to remove the core and give it a clean. It has happened to me on a car. Either that, someone was messin' with ya!

#3 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 08:52 pm

Sometimes, just sometimes, the core in the tyre valve can unseat itself and not seal properly. Pumping it up again would have moved it an maybe re-seated it. It may be a good idea to remove the core and give it a clean. It has happened to me on a car. Either that, someone was messin' with ya!

I remember reading years ago that Schrader made a specially strong racing spring for valve cores. It was thought that a high enough centrifugal force could overcome the spring pressure and unseat the valve. Just like you said.   However, honest guv, I never went that fast !

Good point though, I'll take out the core and give it a close inspection, maybe even replace it. 

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 September 2022 - 07:34 am

Is it possible you could have gotten a false reading when it showed 0.85 bar ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 08:55 am

Is it possible you could have gotten a false reading when it showed 0.85 bar ?

Don't think so.  I checked the front at the same time and got a reading of 2.50 bar as expected.  I then re-checked both tyres with my analogue gauge, same readings...front 2.50 bar, rear 0.85 bar.

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:39 am

Private garage rather than a communal one where someone could have tampered with it?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:11 pm

Private garage rather than a communal one where someone could have tampered with it?

Decidedly private !  And I'm living here on my own, my wife has been in the Untied Kingdom for the last two months.  

#8 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:51 pm

It's much easier if you use your foot to pump it up. Having said that I bet you can do a lot of press ups.

+1 on a valve rattling around. Make sure it's properly screwed in.

" I had to inflate the tyre with a floor pump and my shoulders protested for a bit afterwards.

Any thoughts ?"

Edited by harvey krumpet, 06 September 2022 - 09:53 pm.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users