• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 Wallander

Wallander

sticking around

• 32 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:42 am

Those passenger pegs look like fun, it will be a great 2up bike! :)

YAMAHA%20TDM%20Triple.png

#42 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:19 am

I really hate those rear number plate hanger assemblies, they look ok on sports bike but naff on anything else.

TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#43 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:29 am

Bag o shite, it's not a twin, end of. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#44 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:46 am

Not for me.
Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#45 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:56 am

Is it 1200cc and 4 err I mean 2 wheel drive loike one of their many "mock ups" that was just abooot to be released...MOCK being the operative word. Then suddenly everyones mate who was a dealer new a mate whos mate said that their mate said the next TDM was just abooot to be released by their mates mate who had a mate at Yamaha that met their mate at a show where there mates mate aunties dog was gonna be showcasing the new TDM to a mate? :)

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#46 Scurve

Scurve

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 174 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:23 am

Bloody awfull !

Looks like everything else on the market, bought the TDM because it was different, this is'nt :sorry:    

Scurve

#47 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:35 am

One of the reasons I first looked at the TDM was because it's big. I'd look like
a bear on a tricycle on one of them!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#48 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:14 am

Nope. Not for me. Looks to have hardly any under-seat space, tank looks too small to hold much,it's got a pillion perch setup, it's not a twin and overall it just doesn't look right. Horrible.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#49 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:42 am

http://www.motorcycl..._medium=twitter

With MCN publishing a mock up of a replacement TDM based on the MT09 what do people think. Could this be the way Yamaha will go with this new triple engine?

Has anyone ridden the MT09?

Sat on one yesterday and seemed very small so is it suitable base for a triple based TDM?

I

Well guys and gals, I have some news on this bike.

As most of you will know I have just bought Dandy's bike but before picking it up I called into my local dealers to get some new gear.

Whilst there I told them about my new steed and the reason the MT09 not worth considering being that it wouldn't suit my needs without weather protection.

I was then chastised for not having spoken to them first because.......

Early next year Yamaha are releasing the replacement for the TDM. Whilst this is official it is not yet public knowledge so please keep it under your helmet.

The replacement is actually a faired MT09 with different fuel maps and slightly taller gearing.

Apparently the frame of the current bike has all the mount points for the fairing if you know where to look.

You can find some artist renderings of a TDM/MT09 hybrid on the net and my source says that these are very close to the finished product.

Further more he also says this is just the beginning and there are plans for the MT marque to be a family affair.

He reckons that the faired model will come in at less than £7000 too.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#50 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:07 am

In my book the 'current' TDM scores on two main points (among others)....

Firstly it's that fantastic 'big twin' engine which delivers oodles of punch right across the rev range without the need to play The Flight of the Bumble Bee on the gearbox.

And secondly it looks right. The motor looks like a motorbike engine, and not like peering into the back of a washing machine. And the overall styling (to me) is the best looking of all the so called adventure bikes. it's such a shame Yamaha haven't done another facelift and kept the old dear going a bit longer.

I just can't get on with the current round of these bikes with bits stuck anywhere without any thought for styling. For me you can shove Triumph's and BMW's offerings as I couldn't bear to look at them. Tony.

#51 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:16 am

What MCN was that in?.

#52 jlmtdm

jlmtdm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:42 pm

It does not do it for me ,nice enough looking if you like the current styling trends .

I realy struggle to like the current showroom stuff ,is it just me with this style of bike I like the purpose full look of the dare I say it and the BMW and the vdaro :hide: I agree about the back end looks like it came off a sports bike.

Theres very few out the crate stuff that interests me im off to google the tdmmt09 .

#53 Scurve

Scurve

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 174 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:56 pm

Looks about the size of a moped !

Scurve

#54 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:12 pm

The manufacturers current bikes are in my opinion aimed at the weekly local 'Bike Meet' as the motorcycle press appear to also cater for, people that do more than 50 miles in one hit are ignored.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#55 cob427uk

cob427uk

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 50 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:58 pm

Thought this would stir up a debate. I am keen to try the MT09 just to see what the engine is like but to me the bike is physically too small for a base for a new TDM. PerhapsYamaha might have something to show us at the NEC in a few weeks. I will certainly jump on the KTM 1290 Super Duke now that is a beast of a twin but not much use for the daily commute.
Givi Luggage, Touring screen, HID's, R&G crash bungs

#56 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:23 pm

Thought this would stir up a debate. I am keen to try the MT09 just to see what the engine is like but to me the bike is physically too small for a base for a new TDM. PerhapsYamaha might have something to show us at the NEC in a few weeks. I will certainly jump on the KTM 1290 Super Duke now that is a beast of a twin but not much use for the daily commute.

K'inell. That thing is purported to be 180hp & 188kg. I can see the comparison with the TDM.

In a similar vein, my old man has just taken possesion of a Duke 390, brand spanking. If you think the MT09 is small have a look at one of them. Me Dad has the inside leg measurement of a Fox Terrier & easily gets both feet down, reckons it weighs about as much as a box crisps, too.

I am interested to see what Yamaha does with the new triple motor, just hope they make something with a big tank, comfy seat & enough suspension for modern partially sealed roads.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#57 cortez

cortez

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:31 am

Surely Yamaha wouldn't just slap a fairing and different bars on the MT09 and call it a TDM would they?  A waste of time and money on their part if they do.

Ah well, the new Vstrom 1000 is out soon.

#58 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:16 am

Surely Yamaha wouldn't just slap a fairing and different bars on the MT09 and call it a TDM would they?  A waste of time and money on their part if they do.

Ah well, the new Vstrom 1000 is out soon.

I shall be "testing" an 09 Vstrom thou soon. On my favourite TDM roads, most of which are gravel, the rest is just very twisty tar seal. Looking forward to the comparison.

If Yamaha would give us a sub 200kg bike, dripping wet, with 90hp+ and all the doability of the current TDM's I would start saving.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#59 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:50 am

Hard to put into a short post alls the pros and cons of the TDM, I purchased a 2012 as I wanted proven tried and tested technology with age old knowledge base from owners etc found in place like this. I have ridden hundreds of bikes and had no interest in the TDM until one came in to me by chance for a service, ten minuets into a test ride I thought, crap, now I'm going to have to find a good one for myself, I have ridden the TDM many times before but this time I seemed to click with it and realise just how good it is. Strange when you think I ride all sorts like the MTS 1200 and BMWs etc... IMO the value for money in the TDM speaks for itself when you look at bikes in its category, and that's another point the TDM seems to cross into many. Spend a little more on a TDM doing the mods many do and you can spec up a great bike for half the money of "new" models. Anyway I'm sure the triple is a great bike as are many other brand triples but sadly nothing on the market ATM makes me think wow I have to get one... simplicity of the TDM is one of the things that makes it great IMO.
2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#60 scrumpymike

scrumpymike

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:59 am

This TDM design study just slavishly follows the modern trend of 'style over substance'. Yamaha have a massive opportunity to replace a legend with something even better - I do hope they don't blow it (although a supercharged TDM might be fun :)). As already mentioned, the new 1000cc V-Strom is the one that appears to tick all the boxes for me: the all-important V-twin, enough grunt, relatively light weight, sensible ergo's, and (according the bike's project leader) lowest-in-class seat height, though I haven't seen the exact dimension given in any of the pre-launch hype. Can't wait for this year's bike show :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users