• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 59 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:42 am

I'm not intending to use the bike much for the next three months. I've not used fuel additives previously. Anybody got advice? Thanks.

#2 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:15 am

Don't need em with todays fuels for that length of time  :good:

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:15 am

I put some Redex in and it seems to work.  Still got the same fuel in my tank for the past 12 months :blush2:  and it fires up and runs fine.  3 months lay-up shouldn't be a problem imho.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:44 am

Agrozzzle not required. This year I am planning on filling with esso superunleaded which they claim contains zero ethanol despite the confusing labelling!! Again unnecessary but I'm doing it anyway. :0)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Wesi

Wesi

arrived on last train

• 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:05 pm

Hi,I always use Seaform which has worked well on my winterised bikes and petrol mower

#6 DaveW

DaveW

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 59 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:02 am

Thank you all. Maybe I wont bother if I think I'll use the bike occasionally but if not I'll try the stuff suggested.Great to get feedback from other owners.

#7 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:16 am

my 2p worth iv heard that fuels with ethanol in are hygroscopic so will absorb water which can then settle to bottom of the tank causing rusting also a half empty tank can allow condensation to form again falling to bottom of the tank.

so fill to the brim with super whats to lose it just means you have a full tank for when you want to take it for a run

#8 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:02 pm

my 2p worth iv heard that fuels with ethanol in are hygroscopic so will absorb water which can then settle to bottom of the tank causing rusting also a half empty tank can allow condensation to form again falling to bottom of the tank.
so fill to the brim with super whats to lose it just means you have a full tank for when you want to take it for a run

Airhead BMW's suffer in this matter. There is a small amount of fuel below the petrol taps so it never gets drained. This tends to be all the crappy stuff so if left it rots the tanks through. So they recommend you totally drain the tank if leaving it. If I am laying a bike up for a few months I use a pump and remove all the fuel.

Edited by gautrek, 18 November 2019 - 12:03 pm.

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

#9 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:52 am

If you've used ethanol E5 or E10 fuel then drain the tank fully, pour into a container with a tap on the bottom and over 24 hours the water will collect in the bottom of the container. Then put the waterless fuel back in the tank and top up with fresh superu sans ethanol.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:22 pm

Many super unleadeds now contain ethanol weewan. Also "E5" does not mean 5% ethanol ..... It means "up to 5% ethanol".

So, super unleaded is actually E5 and could contain zero ethanol.... Or 5% .... How helpful!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:04 pm

Avgas contains no ethanol as long as you don't mind a bit of lead, we use 100LL at work. :rolleyes:

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#12 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:14 pm

Avgas contains no ethanol as long as you don't mind a bit of lead, we use 100LL at work. :rolleyes:

Yup - I use 50/50 Avgas, superunleaded (Esso/BP which should be zero eth) in my 51 year old Yamaha 250 racer - burns really well and keeps the piston crowns cool(er)

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users