• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:45 pm

Hi all I have a 1999 4TX and Im having real trouble trying to get it to run. Ive cleaned the carbs and put new float needles in and new o rings in the housing where the needles sit. It seems to be starved of fuel (I think) however the plugs were wet when I checked and also there is fuel on the valves themselves. float heights Are set to 11mm however Im not 100% sure this is accurate as I have measured this with a steel ruler and not the fuel and tube way. Any ideas on what to try next other than be 100% sure about float heights. Ive also made sure Im definitely getting a spark which I am doing, fuel pump is working fine also
Cheers

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:36 am

Are you using any choke ?  Also, are you twisting the throttle when trying to start it ?  Should really only need choke and no movement of the throttle until it's fired up.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:15 am

I’ve tried it with both choke on and off and also with throttle open and closed and still
No joy. Unless there’s something seriously wrong with the bike mechanically I’m convinced it’s the carb set up

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:08 am

Was it running ok before you worked on the carbs ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:42 am

As an update, Im back to square one now with the bike. I have it running however as soon as I put the air box back on it just dies like it is struggling to breathe properly but then when the air box is taken off again it kicks into life.
Also, whilst running it yesterday for around 5-10mins in the garage the header pipes were bright red with heat, I think it is because the bike was stationery and also the the radiator was dropped off whilst accessing the spark plug so it wasnt cooling the bike when the fan kicked in- do you think these are the reasons or could it be something more serious?
Just to add, I notified that the air box days on it 3vd however my bike is a 4TX. I cant see it being an issue but could it be possibky?

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:42 pm

Ok, so assuming the airbox is clean and having removed the air filter previously with no change, you must be disturbing something when fitting the airbox.  It's pretty cramped around the airbox and easy to disturb wiring etc when fitting the airbox.

iirc the mk2 uses the 3VD airbox but with different inlet rubbers for the mk2a.

The only other thing I can think of is it's running really lean.  You could try pulling on the choke to see if it runs better with the airbox on.

#7 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:18 pm

Are any hoses going on the right way? Have you tried without the airfilter? Assume airfilter is clean?

#8 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:27 pm

Yeah hoses are all ok and tried with and without the air filter in. I think Im going buy new rubbers for the carbs and just see. Im convinced its an air leak somewhere

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:22 pm

so les say ya were feathering the throttle whilst someone else slipped the airbox into position,  would it stay running as long as ya gave it some gas? have ya tried turning up the idle control?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 browncastle

browncastle

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:32 am

Running hot is most often running to lean.

How does the spark plugs look ?

How did you clean the carbs ?

Have you changed your fuel filter?

Did you drain a pint or two from your tank before reinstalling?

Carbs really dislike E85 fuel, what we find on pumps these days. I drain the condensation from my tank every 2 months and use a fuel stabiliser now and then, as E85 does not separate from water as good as proper fuel. 

#11 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:19 pm

Yes tried feathering the throttle and still no luck as it fairly quickly returns to being awful and not running. I have to say however that if I keep the Revs fairly high (around 5000rpm plus) it runs ten times better. Ive also tried with the idle screw.
I havent changed the fuel filter so that is something I could try and in terms of what fuel it is Im not 100% but it could well be the E85 you mesntion. Do you really think the fuel can be playing a big part in causing this issue?
As an update, I have since booked to take it into a garage next weekend but I can solve the issue myself in the meantime then great!

#12 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:38 pm

Also regarding how I cleaned the carbs. The jets have been blown through with a compressor and they have also been in an ultrasonic cleaner. New float needles also installed and new rubber O rings in the housing of where the needles sit.

#13 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:39 pm

Just as an update to everybody it turned out to be cam timing! Ended up taking it to a garage and its running great now. Thanks for all the help

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:42 pm

Just as an update to everybody it turned out to be cam timing! Ended up taking it to a garage and its running great now. Thanks for all the help

so the cam chain tensioner was at fault?  

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#15 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:17 am

Im not 100% sure if it was CCT But it was explained to me as the Cam timing which was set incorrectly, three teeth out

#16 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:20 pm

Still sounds like CCT if it was running previously...
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users