• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Philtaylor1968

Philtaylor1968

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:17 pm

Hi guys, my 91 tdm will not start, battery is good,starter motor good, relay switch good,starter cut off relay good, there's nothing when I press the button!...is there anything else I should be checking.kind regards phil.

#2 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:28 pm

The button and fuse to begin with.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 October 2019 - 05:12 pm

Hi.

Also worth checking that it's not in gear.  The sidestand switch might also be sticking.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 October 2019 - 10:31 pm

Check contiuity between the ignition and fuse, wire has been known to corrode inside the switch housing and side stand switch can give intermittant reading when they become corroded inside, can come apart to be sorted, you checked battery connection !

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:27 pm

ensure the ignition switch is flushed out with contact cleaner and the key is making good contact.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 October 2019 - 04:55 am

Hello dare and welcome. Hope you get it sorted.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 Philtaylor1968

Philtaylor1968

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:24 pm

Thanks lads for the advice, I will try these ideas on Saturday and update you all.

#8 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:29 am

....and you haven't activated the kill switch? 😎
Welcome, by the way!

Edited by Bjørge, 29 October 2019 - 09:30 am.

Bjørge

#9 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:02 pm

have you shorted the solenoid to see if it spins and starts? - used to have to carry a screwdriver to do that on one of my old bikes that had intermittent fault

neutral light is in the circuit as well as clutch switch and sidestand

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#10 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:57 pm

silly i know but have you tried wiggling the key in the barrel , had problems with this , had to much stuff attached to the key ring , too much weight 

#11 Philtaylor1968

Philtaylor1968

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:40 pm

have you shorted the solenoid to see if it spins and starts? - used to have to carry a screwdriver to do that on one of my old bikes that had intermittent fault
neutral light is in the circuit as well as clutch switch and sidestand

so you mean put a screwdriver onto the two connections on the solenoid to jump the solenoid switch itself, thus cranking the motor?

#12 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:33 pm

so you mean put a screwdriver onto the two connections on the solenoid to jump the solenoid switch itself, thus cranking the motor?

yes - if it is the starter switch in handlebars that is u/s will still fire up - i had some problems with the stater relay block connectors - had tested relay with circuit as shown in manual and also checked all the other switches - side stand, clutch, neutral light and starter button - eventually discovered it was corrosion on one of the pins in the block connector -

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#13 Philtaylor1968

Philtaylor1968

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:49 pm

Thanks a lot mate I'll look at that. Excuse my ignorance, but which exactly is the starter relay ? It's one of those little black ones situated under petrol tank?, Does it have a part number? Kind regards and thanks for your help, Phil.

#14 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:47 pm

hi apologies for delay in responding - yes the relay is the larger one that is on side of battery on rubber clip - think i have a spare if you PM me

#15 Philtaylor1968

Philtaylor1968

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:32 am

Hi, I've pm,d you mate.

#16 Philtaylor1968

Philtaylor1968

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:46 pm

hi apologies for delay in responding - yes the relay is the larger one that is on side of battery on rubber clip - think i have a spare if you PM me

I've sent my details mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users