#801 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:46 pm

TBH I've never really considered what happens when the screws are turned in or out with regards to richening or leaning.  I tend to set both a 3 turns out, hook up the gauges and adjust until the intake vacuum is between 250 and 270mm Hg whilst adjusting the balance screw to get the closest measure between the two carbs whilst geting a smooth tickover at 1000rpm.  Hence why it's sometimes necessary to adjust pilot screws and balance a number of times.

It may be that after doing a blip test and adjusting the pilot screws I found the opposite of what FP say about it.  Memory's really faded over that though and I could be wrong.

If adjusting pilots makes no difference, there must be a reason why this is happening.  Blocked pilots, air leak, worn choke plungers, balance way out, etc.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#802 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:51 pm

Dont mind screwing around, pardon the pun, i can get to about 800rpm on idle, not an exact art is it.. okay good info cheers pudding.. :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#803 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:19 pm

Okeedokee, think I know why there's some confusion over richen or lean re turning the screws.

If your carb has an air-mixture screw, turn the screw clockwise to enrichen. If you have a fuel-fuel mixture screw, turn the screw counterclockwise to enrichen

If the screw is located near the carb intake, it's an air mixture screw.  If it's located near the manifold (as in TDM) its a fuel mixture screw.  Soooo, turn out to enrichen. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#804 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:12 am

Okeedokee, think I know why there's some confusion over richen or lean re turning the screws.

If your carb has an air-mixture screw, turn the screw clockwise to enrichen. If you have a fuel-fuel mixture screw, turn the screw counterclockwise to enrichen

If the screw is located near the carb intake, it's an air mixture screw.  If it's located near the manifold (as in TDM) its a fuel mixture screw.  Soooo, turn out to enrichen. :)

That makes sense !

#805 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:57 am

Smashing, in that case the post for the Blip test is correct Ian.. :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#806 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:19 pm

Carbs fully dismantled and cleaned, pilots 3 turns out, think i had a sticky slider in the left carb, started up and a little spitting out of the left carb, hooked up car battery and it stopped  :huh: started on bike battery and all is good, ordered vac gauges last week with Express delivery by Wed, not here, bassad sent it 1st class instead, so still to do, took her out for a spin and much much better, carb sync hopefully be the icing on the cake..

#807 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:21 pm

Progress. :0)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#808 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:51 pm

Good stuff Dabbers, nearly there. :good:

#809 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:09 pm

Aye chaps, been a big bollox the last couple months, weather's looking a bit crap now innit, need a few days to get it run in now..

#810 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:14 pm

Gorra camping / pub place sorted for ya when ya ready................

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#811 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:46 am

Cheers Al gonna be September me thinks..

#812 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 16 August 2020 - 03:58 pm

Cool :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#813 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:36 pm

Now it's running ok get out there and enjoys it Dabbers, summer will be gone soon enough!

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#814 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 03:59 pm

Aye SB your so right, never thought it would drag on so long but i'll try and make the most of wots left, prolly ride later this year to bang some miles on...

50 miles on the clock haha..... So what sort of mileage should i be thinking of changing the oil, checking valve clearances and re-tighten head bolts fella's ! i know opinions may differ but a general idea maybe, Haynes reckons re-tighten after a short run but is that perhaps a little premature !!!

Vac gauges finally arrived today, dont really like her just ticking over but suppose i better get to it, although she is running quite nice through the revs, well up to 4k at least..  engine feels nice and free, gears seem to be fine also, cant welly her yet but here's hoping all will stay good..

#815 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 17 August 2020 - 04:39 pm

Yooo hoooo....kettle's on......
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#816 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 August 2020 - 07:37 pm

Aye SB your so right, never thought it would drag on so long but i'll try and make the most of wots left, prolly ride later this year to bang some miles on...

50 miles on the clock haha..... So what sort of mileage should i be thinking of changing the oil, checking valve clearances and re-tighten head bolts fella's ! i know opinions may differ but a general idea maybe, Haynes reckons re-tighten after a short run but is that perhaps a little premature !!!

Vac gauges finally arrived today, dont really like her just ticking over but suppose i better get to it, although she is running quite nice through the revs, well up to 4k at least..  engine feels nice and free, gears seem to be fine also, cant welly her yet but here's hoping all will stay good..

i've never checked about retightening the head bolts.
Done about 150miles on rebuilt engine so far too. I changed my running in oil at 100 miles

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#817 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:39 am

Getting there Cliff, well done sir. We've now got a week of rain according to the weather girl  :rant:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#818 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:46 am

Yooo hoooo....kettle's on......

Hopefully before long eh  :good:

Getting there Cliff, well done sir. We've now got a week of rain according to the weather girl  :rant:

Aye Chris just about now, yeah the bloody weather, better get me oilskins out..

i've never checked about retightening the head bolts.
Done about 150miles on rebuilt engine so far too. I changed my running in oil at 100 miles

Haynes mentions it in the "running in procedure" and i'll check mine as will be checking the valves anyway, but you changed oil at 100 miles drew, so have you gone back to 10/40 semi after the 100 miles....Mick did his around 130 miles and i think Lee mentioned around 300 miles.. i'm only asking as i'll do it all at oil change time..

#819 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:10 pm

Haynes mentions it in the "running in procedure" and i'll check mine as will be checking the valves anyway, but you changed oil at 100 miles drew, so have you gone back to 10/40 semi after the 100 miles....Mick did his around 130 miles and i think Lee mentioned around 300 miles.. i'm only asking as i'll do it all at oil change time..

Still can't find it in the haynes, the TRX boys don't bother other than checking valve clearances.

Apparently  the gasket material nowadays is a lot better than the old ones so doesn't need it. At £80 a pop for a gasket I should hope not

I'm a big fan of ragging the bike to bed the bore in rather than pussy footing. they normally recommend changing after 20 miles but as the TDm is lower revving I did it at 100 miles and have no issues with any of my bikes so far using that method.

I did Heat cycle first though.

Fitted a new sprocket bearing and although not loose, was easy to press in when straight so I used thread locker. went for a test and all was fine.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#820 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:37 pm

Interesting drew, i've not been gentle but not ragged it either, somewhere in the middle i suppose, i expect your more confident about that procedure as you know more than me re mechanics etc.. never even considered gasket material either, anyway wont harm to nip em when doing a valve check, they can be done even if the cams dont need to come out again.. prolly change my oil around 200 miles, much will depend on riding time and weather..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users