• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Quadsey

Quadsey

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:06 pm

So got the bike back last week and turns out it was the starting motor. They couldn't find anything wrong with the sensor relating to the 11 error code.

Haven't been out on the bike since because I primarily use the bike for work and am off due to covid-19

"Touch not, less ye be touched" -Brodie 1995

#22 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:27 pm

So got the bike back last week and turns out it was the starting motor. They couldn't find anything wrong with the sensor relating to the 11 error code.

Haven't been out on the bike since because I primarily use the bike for work and am off due to covid-19

at least it's fixed and yer mobile again.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#23 OwenMc

OwenMc

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 108 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:37 am

Just had the same story, from Error code 11 to 'starter motor issue' - and now back on the road since Sat :-)

I tried to switch the cylinder sensor, but couldn't get in there to do that, so had to wait until my mechanic was back from lockdown - all well in the end.

Now all I have to do is keep using the TDM, rather than leaving it gather leaves & spiders, and maybe it'll keep in good working order :-D

'64 MkI chassis, MkV specs, dodgy suspension, aerodynamic haircut, grab-handles :-)
'90 GS450L, '92 XJ600S, '99 TDM 850 '06 TDM 900A

#24 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:24 pm

Just had the same story, from Error code 11 to 'starter motor issue' - and now back on the road since Sat :-)

I tried to switch the cylinder sensor, but couldn't get in there to do that, so had to wait until my mechanic was back from lockdown - all well in the end.

Now all I have to do is keep using the TDM, rather than leaving it gather leaves & spiders, and maybe it'll keep in good working order :-D

how ya Owen,  jaysus ya have that 900 a long time now. So your starter motor was nackered too then?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#25 OwenMc

OwenMc

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:54 am

how ya Owen,  jaysus ya have that 900 a long time now. So your starter motor was nackered too then?

Yup, I've yet to find a bike that does what I need AND will fit my various ailing body parts :lol: 

I went to the NEC in '18 to see if there was anything more comfy & modern, and came away massively unimpressed with the latest offerings.

The starter motor's still doing the business, but the mechanic wasn't prepared to say how LONG that might last with the current one.

He really didn't want to get involved in replacing it, the costs & possible extra work needed were expected to be more than the bike's worth..... Of course that may have been influenced by me telling the guy who came to pick it up that my biking days were probably over :( 

I'm planning on running it until it dies again, and if that's just the rest of the summer, well so be it - I had fun while it lasted.

Edited by OwenMc, 21 July 2020 - 08:55 am.

'64 MkI chassis, MkV specs, dodgy suspension, aerodynamic haircut, grab-handles :-)

#26 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,351 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:59 am

Would it be worth taking the starter to a motor rewinds place and seeing if they can refurb it to get a few more years out of it? I dread to think the cost of new.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#27 OwenMc

OwenMc

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:25 am

Would it be worth taking the starter to a motor rewinds place and seeing if they can refurb it to get a few more years out of it? I dread to think the cost of new.

And you're not far wrong to be dreading that - I was quoted £400+ for a new one.

It might be worth taking it along to a motor rewinds place, but my spannering skills aren't up to the task of removal - nor my inclination (the bike is only one of the things going on at the moment....)

Edited by OwenMc, 21 July 2020 - 09:26 am.

#28 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:43 am

I took my BMW R80 starter to one of those places. It was starting to slow down while turning the engine over. About £80 and it came back like new. New bearings a clean and new brushes and it span the motor over like a good un. £80 well spent

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users