#1 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 July 2020 - 02:42 pm

A few days ago, after removing the zorst can, I fettled the rear caliper on my mk1, cleaned the pistons and caliper, re-greased and bled through some fresh fluid.  Noticed at the time that one of the bleed nipples was a bit wobbly so ordered some new nipples.

Anyhoos, decided to fit the new nipples today, first one went in, a bit fiddly with the zorst in place but managed with a socket and rachet, second one went in, started tightening it up with the socket and after a few turns it went pretty stiff to turn.  Took the socket off and noticed the nipple had gone in at a wonky angle. :o 

Soooo, removed the caliper and got it on the kitchen table workbench and clamped it up ready to tap the hole.  Tried tapping it but it just wouldn't straighten up.  Ended up chewing up the thread. :help:

I've just ordered an 8mm helicoil type kit.

If it aint broke, but a lil bit wobbly, don't fix it ! :oldgit:

On the plus side, yamaha nipples are £10 each, I found and got 4 alternatives delivered for £4.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 03:19 pm

Whilst it's apart I'm also gonna see if my local hydraulics fettlin shop can sell me a stainless hose coupling as mine's well rusted.

New nipple and old coupling pic

Attached File  Newnips.jpg   104.44KB   0 downloads

Nips look almost identical, new one hangs a bit lower has a slightly longer top bit, will report back as to how they perform.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:29 pm

Swapped out the front bluespot nips and put new fluid in.  All bled and sorted, no dramas.

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:48 pm

Hmm it was maybe that hose coupling I tried to get from hydraulic shop. They were very helpful but didn't have anything small enough.

Well done on udder nips.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:00 pm

I'll get you one if they have 'em Daps. D'ya want stainless or steel ?

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:22 pm

If you can Juan yes please SR. Don't mind wharrits made of

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:29 am

No joy at my local hydraulics are we shop Daps.  They have an unusual thread combo apparently, or the shops just pants. I've seen new oem wans on ebay, cost around a tenner.  Searched on ebay using the oem part number.

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:57 am

I think they are unusual thread. That jogged my awesome memory. They had the fittings but not small enough he did also mention thread pitch. The guy was a biker and liked finding solutions so he definitely tried.

Ta for asking.

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:38 pm

Well, I've got an aftermarket rear brake hose fitted and I've just done away with the oem coupling as the AM wan fits straight into the calibob.  Didn't realise until I inspected but I'd got 2 couplings fitted, oem and AM.  Sooooo, a quick measure and it looks like they're m10x1.25 pitch.

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:29 pm

Threaded insert kit arrived this am. I knew it was gonna be a tricky job, blind hole an all that, and it was.  Firstly, the 8mm threaded insert (1.0) was too long.  Secondly, the slot in the tool used for screwing in the insert was too long.  Thirdly, the tang on the insert needs to be snapped off after installing the insert so I had to think of how I was gonna do this without damaging the nipple seat.

Soooo, I cut a thread from the insert using a dremel.  Then I shortened the end of the tool so there was just enough slot to grab onto the insert tang.  There's a small notch on the tang where it snaps off using the tool, I cut into the notch further, hoping this would still be strong enough to thread it in but weak enough to snap off with my tiny long nose pliers.

I measured everything and marked the drill bit and tap, drilled and tapped the hole and then vacuumed out all the swarf.  Fitted the insert only to find out it was still too long.  Removed the insert, cut another insert, removing 2 threads and fitted into the hole.  Perfect fit this time. :)

Fitted caliper and bled the system and all is good. TF.

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:35 pm

Saavvvved

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:02 pm

Hmmm, seem to be getting a slight weep of fluid coming from the thread on BOTH nips. ooh err ,matron.  Maybe as little as a drip a day but I'm wondering if these nips are causing the leakage, or if it's fluid making it's way up from what was already on the threads when I bled them.  I'm reluctant to tighten them any more, might have to source a rear calibob.

#13 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:04 pm

Undo and tighten a few times, could hopefully shape the seat a little.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:05 pm

Might be worthwhile using some ptfe on them, means a re-bleed though, or if you think a replacement is need tighten em up 1st and see !

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:12 pm

Will try both suggestions, cheers guys. :good:

#16 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:23 am

I have a special tool to recut the seat lightly by hand you can borrow.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#17 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:22 am

The seat is the bit to focus on, the thread should have no fluid pressure on it if the seat is good.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:34 pm

Yeah, I agree Dave.  That's why I was thinking the new nips might not be quite right.  Only takes a slight difference in the angle of the seat to cause problems.  Might have got some debris on the caliper seats so pleased to hear that Lee has a tool I can borrow to help reseat/clean them. :)

I have a special tool to recut the seat lightly by hand you can borrow.

Cheers Lee, I'll have a go at using it if that's ok.  I'll pm my address. :good:

#19 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:56 pm

See here for nipple therapy.........http://www.fraserbro...t&product_id=51

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:33 pm

Not sure I could use that Favs, doubt there's enough meat on the caliper to drill out a mahoosive hole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users