• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:51 pm

I'm sure most of you will be aware that from this Sunday, 1st July, the 90kmph speed limit on minor roads is being reduced to 80kmph...almost exactly 50mph.

BUT....the signs are not being changed and no-one knows whether your sat nav will pick it up either.

So, ANY NON DUAL CARRIAGEWAY road is now limited to 80kmph despite what the signs say.  And watch out particularly in Normandie for privately operated speed trap cars, not cop cars.

Nevertheless, Bonne Route !

#2 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:01 pm

Well we’re lucky that they’d never do that over here just to make more money!......Oh.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#3 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:34 pm

I'm sure most of you will be aware that from this Sunday, 1st July, the 90kmph speed limit on minor roads is being reduced to 80kmph...almost exactly 50mph.

BUT....the signs are not being changed and no-one knows whether your sat nav will pick it up either.

So, ANY NON DUAL CARRIAGEWAY road is now limited to 80kmph despite what the signs say.  And watch out particularly in Normandie for privately operated speed trap cars, not cop cars.

JBX mentioned the new speed limit in a thread I started recently, but thanks for the specific details and the 1 July date. I’ll be riding through France next week and I’m sure there’ll be lots of ‘law enforcement’ quotas to be met, so I’ll take it easy ;)

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#4 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:49 am

Well we’re lucky that they’d never do that over here just to make more money!......Oh.

Do I detect a wee hint of cynicism here …..?

#5 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:10 am

JBX mentioned the new speed limit in a thread I started recently, but thanks for the specific details and the 1 July date. I’ll be riding through France next week and I’m sure there’ll be lots of ‘law enforcement’ quotas to be met, so I’ll take it easy ;)

You seem to have it sorted, so have fun !

The technique I'm forced to adopt is to ride just a bit slower than local motards.  I ride like an old man...I am an old man !   And you know that it's considered polite to acknowledge all other motards with a gallus wave of the left hand.....safety permitting of course..  This includes the Gendarmerie but not scooter riders or kids on restricted licences.

Ah, La Politesse !

#6 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:26 pm

Now I'm up north my annual French tour days are likely over, so I'm not bothered. Having said that, after the recent meltdown I had after being subjected to a full screening at the technocratic cattle market that is Stansted Airport these days, never say never. If you're an old geezer in shorts, sandals and t-shirt, remember to remove your bus pass out of your pocket, it sets off big brother's alarm and marks you out as a possible turrist, not a tourist.

Edited by muddy, 27 June 2018 - 06:26 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#7 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:31 pm

Now I'm up north my annual French tour days are likely over, so I'm not bothered. Having said that, after the recent meltdown I had after being subjected to a full screening at the technocratic cattle market that is Stansted Airport these days, never say never. If you're an old geezer in shorts, sandals and t-shirt, remember to remove your bus pass out of your pocket, it sets off big brother's alarm and marks you out as a possible turrist, not a tourist.

Been there brother !  Political correctness and common sense are just total opposites.

#8 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:20 pm

Don’t give up Muddy, there are ferries from Hull and Newcastle over to the continent.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#9 tantfor

tantfor

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:33 am

They should really take some notes from Germany. No speed limits in highways  :good:

#10 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:05 pm

Is all this still correct Curly ? I'm recently back and the locals seemed to think 90 signs still in place meant ok to up it to 90 (no central barrier but temporary extra lane for passing)then back to 80 when 80 sign appeared. Made no difference to me as I never stuck to the 90 limit anyway. Ticket's a ticket either way. Away from populated areas I figured most were running along at around 90 - 100 kph as before.....

#11 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:37 pm

Is all this still correct Curly ? I'm recently back and the locals seemed to think 90 signs still in place meant ok to up it to 90 (no central barrier but temporary extra lane for passing)then back to 80 when 80 sign appeared. Made no difference to me as I never stuck to the 90 limit anyway. Ticket's a ticket either way. Away from populated areas I figured most were running along at around 90 - 100 kph as before.....

You're right Apache, I should have posted about this earlier....

It would appear that when there is an extra passing lane the limit has been raised from 80kph to 90kph, although the authorities fudged the whole thing and kind of kept it in the dark....

And as you've noticed, on a decent bit of road, nobody is bothering their arse about it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users