- - - - -

Motorcycle safety in the UK

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Advance training (285 member(s) have cast votes)

Is advance training of any use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Andy R

Andy R

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:50 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Thu 15th Jun 2006, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me'self and Wicky were talkin to two Pan riding officers and they were telling us how they were not allowed to go over 80 (or maybe 85) cos of the weaving problem.....so if you really need to outrun one....87mph should do the trick.

I love the fact that the LHS had all the gizmos/buttons/doohickies on and the RHS was just a marker pen in a little clip for writing stuff on the tank.

There is a wobble at speed. This seems to hit at varying speeds and only seems to happen on dual carriageways and motorways with a slight side wind. It's not difficult to control if you know what you are doing.

Our Pans have had a suspension upgrade, which helps, and our Riding Instructors are working directly with Honda to find the actual cause.

As for speed we were not restricted on the course after the first week. Can't tell you what speed I got up to on a public forum, but you wouldn't outrun me at 85 rotflmmfao.gif

It also sounds like their Pans are equipped differently to ours. We don't have any marker pens and a small panel on the left that controls the lights and matrix.

Can we talk about something else now please? wink.gif
www.myspace.com/andyrothers

#42 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:50 pm

Devon/Cornwall have now ditched the Pan (should that be down(ed) the pan) and now use BMW's. They also mentioned that the instructors who taught them didnt seem to have any issue with the weave/wibble/wobble/jigger at very high speed, I think 140mph was mentioned. Apparently all of the mone made on the pans went back into trying to sort out this problem.

We could change the subject, but its quite an interesting one. The officers we spoke to were very interesing and informative.

Boop
dapleb
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#43 Andy R

Andy R

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:55 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Thu 15th Jun 2006, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Devon/Cornwall have now ditched the Pan (should that be down(ed) the pan) and now use BMW's. They also mentioned that the instructors who taught them didnt seem to have any issue with the weave/wibble/wobble/jigger at very high speed, I think 140mph was mentioned. Apparently all of the mone made on the pans went back into trying to sort out this problem.

We could change the subject, but its quite an interesting one. The officers we spoke to were very interesing and informative.

Boop
dapleb

It's Ok, I don't mind talking about it really. I just don't want to be the resident plod of the forum, if you know what I mean huh.gif My job is only a small part of my life.

Edited by Andy R, 15 June 2006 - 04:56 pm.

#44 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:49 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Thu 15th Jun 2006, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boop
dapleb

ya day were noice bhoys. they feckin hated their ST13's though and were full of praise fer the ST11's.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#45 oiler

oiler

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:52 pm

QUOTE(Andy R @ Thu 15th Jun 2006, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's Ok, I don't mind talking about it really. I just don't want to be the resident plod of the forum, if you know what I mean huh.gif My job is only a small part of my life.

I like the idea of having a resident plod, makes me feel safer.
Message came back from the great beyond..........57 channels an nothin on..........

#46 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:03 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Thu 15th Jun 2006, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya day were noice bhoys. they feckin hated their ST13's though and were full of praise fer the ST11's.

Last one I spoke to (admitedly a fair few years ago) preferred the BMW he had before his ST11

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#47 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:05 am

QUOTE(oiler @ Thu 15th Jun 2006, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the idea of having a resident plod, makes me feel safer.

Yeah, community policing is reassuring for us older folks cool.gif

Stu

#48 Nosaj

Nosaj

Carpe junky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:19 am

QUOTE(stu @ Fri 16th Jun 2006, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, community policing is reassuring for us older folks cool.gif

i got three points and a sixty pund fine thanks to a resident plod.... tried everything
do you know who i am ??? havn't you got anything better to do ?? im great friends with the chief constable you know , and the final one , you only stopped me cos i is black.... RESULT 3 points 60 quid lighter.
Although going home last night in Liverpool there was a police check , pulled in all 4 cars in front of me, and let me continue. that throws out the theory that we only pick on bikers.

#49 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:49 pm

QUOTE(Nosaj @ Fri 16th Jun 2006, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i got three points and a sixty pund fine thanks to a resident plod.... tried everything
do you know who i am ??? havn't you got anything better to do ?? im great friends with the chief constable you know , and the final one , you only stopped me cos i is black.... RESULT 3 points 60 quid lighter.
Although going home last night in Liverpool there was a police check , pulled in all 4 cars in front of me, and let me continue. that throws out the theory that we only pick on bikers.

but is you ??? don't tink we get many non pale types on ere, then again oil never know until i meet some of these ere peeps i suppose.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#50 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:53 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Fri 16th Jun 2006, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but is you ??? don't tink we get many non pale types on ere, then again oil never know until i meet some of these ere peeps i suppose.

But we thought we were all straight for a while, so who's to say, as long as there's no English world cup footballers here tongue.gif

#51 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:30 pm

since ages the belgian police force (military, local, national) have used beemers
but since last year they are switching to another make : yamaha FJR1300 ...
the coppers prefer the handling and power of the yam over the beemer, but the mechs are not impressed with the wear and tear!
apparently the FJs arent taking the abuse as well as the beemers
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#52 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:56 pm

QUOTE(Guinness @ Sat 17th Jun 2006, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
apparently the FJs arent taking the abuse as well as the beemers

that's because Japanes society is very polite and easily offended rolleyes.gif

#53 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:42 pm

QUOTE(E.T. @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's because Japanes society is very polite and easily offended rolleyes.gif

How long have you been thining about that one ET?

#54 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:36 pm

QUOTE(SteveGlover @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long have you been thining about that one ET?

That is soooo strange

For yonks I #m only getting email notification on a few threads notably

"tyres"

"the scandanvian thread"

nothing else I've ever posted to shows up

Today however, I'm getting alll sorts of notifications - this thread too...BUT now I notice it was last June 2006!!!!

Weird!

#55 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:03 pm

QUOTE(E.T. @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is soooo strange

For yonks I #m only getting email notification on a few threads notably

"tyres"

"the scandanvian thread"

nothing else I've ever posted to shows up
Today however, I'm getting alll sorts of notifications - this thread too...BUT now I notice it was last June 2006!!!!
Weird!

I bet you've finally paid your ISP bill dry.gif

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#56 Andy R

Andy R

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:18 pm

And we are getting the Pan Europeans back at the end of the month yahoo.gif Spooky blink.gif

#57 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:12 pm

QUOTE(Andy R @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And we are getting the Pan Europeans back at the end of the month yahoo.gif Spooky blink.gif

I thought you didn't want to talk about them yeahyeahyeah.gif rotflmmfao.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#58 Andy R

Andy R

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:16 am

QUOTE(Hartside Man @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought you didn't want to talk about them yeahyeahyeah.gif rotflmmfao.gif

Well, I've had a few months off from it rotflmmfao.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic