31 replies to this topic

#21 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:27 pm

Mail on Sunday catches new speed camera tycoon speeding - twice in the same week

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz16i1gLCNk

#22 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:28 am

QUOTE(stu @ Sat 27th Nov 2010, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this the same Sagalout who didn't know where RoI was ? tongue.gif

Not guilty, have ridden both north and south on the island of Ireland tongue.gif
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#23 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:39 pm

QUOTE(Saga Lout @ Tue 30th Nov 2010, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not guilty, have ridden both north and south on the island of Ireland tongue.gif

You're not the same Sagalout on TRC that didn't notice where 'down my way' was, then? huh.gif

Stu

#24 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:43 pm

QUOTE(stu @ Tue 30th Nov 2010, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're not the same Sagalout on TRC that didn't notice where 'down my way' was, then? huh.gif

No, he's obviously some kind of impostor .... quite flattering to know that someone wants to impersonate me, I thought that only happens to celebs laugh.gif
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#25 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:54 pm

A mate of mine lives near Ardee where there is a real problem on this particular road with speeding. I have seen cars go by his house at silly speed frequently. This 'safety van service' is supposedly paid for by the tax payer on an hourly basis. The road was just about passable due to the amount of snow and ice and there was s 'safety van' sitting there being paid by the hour on a road where no-one could possibly go faster then 20mph. The RSA will continue to hand out tax-payers money for this 'service' - it's criminal.

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

Long Loved TDM is no longer with me...

#26 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:13 pm

QUOTE(apw99 @ Sat 4th Dec 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A mate of mine lives near Ardee where there is a real problem on this particular road with speeding. I have seen cars go by his house at silly speed frequently. This 'safety van service' is supposedly paid for by the tax payer on an hourly basis. The road was just about passable due to the amount of snow and ice and there was s 'safety van' sitting there being paid by the hour on a road where no-one could possibly go faster then 20mph. The RSA will continue to hand out tax-payers money for this 'service' - it's criminal.

Chill ALex wink.gif

The 'hourly' rate simply means that they are not paid by the ticket, so there is no financial incentive for them to clock more people. The contract is being paid for wherever the operators are sitting, would you rather they be in a cosy office, or out in the ice? smile.gif

Stu

#27 LDRider

LDRider

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:49 pm

Are these cameras part of the Irish financial bail out? I imagine they are, at some basic level.

I got ticketed few weeks ago, ~100 meters before the limit went from 45MPH to 55MPH (county line). So, basically, f*&^ing cop charged me $100 (which, btw, he seemed to want credit for not making it higher) for going 61MPH in a 45 zone when in 1/2 sec I would have been only 6MPH over. I'll add that this is one of the inherent problems with a bike like the K12S which will go from 30 to 60 in a blink of the eye. I had made a hairpin turn, twisted the throttle, and wham, nailed by radar even though I have radar detector on the bike.

2010 BMW R1200GSA 30th Anniv
2006 BMW K1200S set up for touring
1992 TDM850 set up for touring

#28 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:49 pm

QUOTE(stu @ Sat 4th Dec 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chill ALex wink.gif

The 'hourly' rate simply means that they are not paid by the ticket, so there is no financial incentive for them to clock more people. The contract is being paid for wherever the operators are sitting, would you rather they be in a cosy office, or out in the ice? smile.gif

Exactly the point Stu - the hourly rate means they are being paid with my tax-money for sitting on an ice-locked road to catch speeding motorists who could not get over 20mph even if they tried. Are you saying this is acceptable? This is exactly the sort of behavior which has contributed to us being in the position we have now ended, the great Banana Republic of Ireland! Myself and 50 thousand others marched last Saturday and I can tell you first hand not one of those people were chilled - complacency needs to be a thing of the past, along with FF and their cronies. And no I don't just get on Carpe and moan, I do actually write to my TDs and councilors, I do march and I do participate which is better then sitting in a van scratching your arse and screwing the tax-payer yet again... €85billion is enough to owe without forking out for this sort of f$Łk-acting (excuse my French). There ye are now wink.gif

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

#29 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:20 am

My point was that if they were paid by the ticket, they'd sit somewhere like the Stillorgan dualler and shoot fish in a barrel. I don't think speed cameras are the answer at all. But if the contract is made, I'd rather there be no incentive for sneaky-sneaky siting of speed-traps, in the way that LDR was caught.

Stu

#30 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:40 am

QUOTE(stu @ Sun 5th Dec 2010, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My point was that if they were paid by the ticket, they'd sit somewhere like the Stillorgan dualler and shoot fish in a barrel. I don't think speed cameras are the answer at all. But if the contract is made, I'd rather there be no incentive for sneaky-sneaky siting of speed-traps, in the way that LDR was caught.

Totally agree Stu - wouldn't it be nice to see positive (re)enforcement like the speed camera lottery where there is a least a perceived reward instead of a threat of punishment. Lets hope the contract remains intact on the current basis .... I just have no faith or trust in any of the institutions in this state anymore...maybe I'm just too angry to be objective...need to go and roll in the snow rotflmmfao.gif

#31 whichwaywasit

whichwaywasit

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:38 pm

QUOTE(apw99 @ Sun 5th Dec 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Totally agree Stu - wouldn't it be nice to see positive (re)enforcement like the speed camera lottery where there is a least a perceived reward instead of a threat of punishment. Lets hope the contract remains intact on the current basis .... I just have no faith or trust in any of the institutions in this state anymore...maybe I'm just too angry to be objective...need to go and roll in the snow rotflmmfao.gif

there is no need to have a financial incentive to make them actively screw the motorist

we have had blair,brown, mandelson and campbell, these guys liked targets. catch enough motorists you get to keep your job, catch even more and you are deemed bad enough barsteward to deserve promotion, and then you are the ideal person to screw your workforce to screw the motorist

I still have dificulty understanding the concept of how there can be a crime, when there is no victim

Don't tell me it is to reduce accidents, when you can drive over someone on a bike and just get told off

#32 Nanook

Nanook

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:55 pm

Judging by the comments that have been posted in this thread it doesn't seem to matter that someone in the torched van could have been injured or killed!! I'm againts speed cameras in principle but putting the poor sod's life at risk is inexcusable in my opinion.
Beware the whitevanman!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users