22 replies to this topic

#1 SteveK

SteveK

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:15 pm

Has anyone tried (or had to) use an EHIC card in Europe and should travel insurance also be taken out for European trips?
Full Givi luggage, MRA flip screen with German import top blade, Garmin sat nav, LED running lights, heated grips, Fender extender.
Follow my 2013 Pyrenees tour on http://pyreneestdm.tumblr.com

#2 pilninggas

pilninggas

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:21 pm

QUOTE(SteveK @ Fri 13th Jan 2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone tried (or had to) use an EHIC card in Europe and should travel insurance also be taken out for European trips?

Well I have never had to use it (my grandmother once had to use E101 in Austria). The thing about EHIC it is for medical care/attention, travel insurance is vital, as it may cover everthing from the food in the hospital (which EHIC might not depending the country/local healthcare) to medi-evac; heaven fore-fend that you might need it.

Make sure travel insurance that you pruchase includes bikes (beware they might tell you bikes are covered, but then mean <125cc) - i forget which company i use, but they also do cheap single trip breakdown (not the best cover, but better than being stuck on the autobahn at 1100pm)

Edited by pilninggas, 13 January 2012 - 08:22 pm.

#3 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:43 pm

ALWAYS take out travel insurance. Read all the small print too, many policies exclude motorcycling. That said I have an EHIC too and have been fortunate enough never to have needed to use either.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#4 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:54 pm

Really? Do you really need travel insurance to travel in Europe? I didn't even consider it for the trip to Germany last summer. I had European breakdown cover, EHIC, what would travel insurance provide over and above this?

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:08 pm

Always take EHIC (was E111) and private health insurance.
I used it in Greece about 10 years ago for a broken ankle, x-ray & plastered = total cost £11 plus what the travel insurance cost initially.
Your call,
HTH
Favs.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#6 SteveK

SteveK

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:12 pm

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Fri 13th Jan 2012, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? Do you really need travel insurance to travel in Europe? I didn't even consider it for the trip to Germany last summer. I had European breakdown cover, EHIC, what would travel insurance provide over and above this?

My point exactly, I have european breakdown insurance as an option on my bike insurance and that seems to cover everything mechanical. I've always taken out travel insurance when my daughter has been pillion but this year I'm touring alone.
Full Givi luggage, MRA flip screen with German import top blade, Garmin sat nav, LED running lights, heated grips, Fender extender.

#7 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,777 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:29 pm

As far as I know, the EHIC will only provide basic medical cover. Any repatriation would not be covered. Travel insurance does not just cover health and injury, but also many other things, eg, extra costs due to missed ferries or even cancellation on the trip.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#8 pilninggas

pilninggas

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:11 am

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Fri 13th Jan 2012, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well i think single trip (2 weeks) last year cost me £21 quid (motorcycle travel insurance). Now say I crashed in Italy and broke my back unsure.gif (terrible, but you never, never know). EHIC would cover the immediate healthcare (surgery, the initial recovery) - but would stop somewhere at that point. Travel Insurance would then take over, further overseas treatment, liaison with UK medical services, repatriation of me and also the bike/belongings if possible. I did read the policy document a few years ago of my travel insurance, and that policy included the cost of a family member/friend flying out if you sustained a serious injury.

It may never happen, but you can't tell - that guy over on the adv-forum who got paralysed in mexico, was evacuated back to US with his insurance, sadly he did not medical insurance in the States (something he regretted) and his family had to cover that cost. RIP Clayton.

It also covers incidentals, like loss of wallet or passport, things that might happen.

For a small cost, who would take that sort of chance [and believe me I am a chancer!!]

Edited by pilninggas, 14 January 2012 - 10:11 am.

#9 SteveK

SteveK

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:39 pm

Good point, well made. Can you remember who you got that insurance from, seems good value compared to what I've paid in previous years.

#10 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:13 pm

AFAIK, the E111 card provides the card holder with health care at the same level as a local. So if it cost them £100 for care that's what it would cost you.
Does travel insurance really recover your bike and other kit back to the UK if you are too unwell to take it yourself?

I'm not say it's not worth bothering with it's just I've never even thought it necessary for a bike trip, thought is was only when flying somewhere.

So should I take out travel insurance for the wee trip to Brittany in April?

#11 pilninggas

pilninggas

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:38 pm

QUOTE(SteveK @ Sat 14th Jan 2012, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point, well made. Can you remember who you got that insurance from, seems good value compared to what I've paid in previous years.
http://www.travelcov...l-insurance.asp
QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Sat 14th Jan 2012, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AFAIK, the E111 card provides the card holder with health care at the same level as a local. So if it cost them £100 for care that's what it would cost you.Does travel insurance really recover your bike and other kit back to the UK if you are too unwell to take it yourself? I'm not say it's not worth bothering with it's just I've never even thought it necessary for a bike trip, thought is was only when flying somewhere.So should I take out travel insurance for the wee trip to Brittany in April?
If you are carrying EHIC, the medical care you recieve is free, the bill is sent to the government/NHS - that's why you need to carry it, both to prove you are eligible and also so if you are out of it, they know your registration number.Well i think it they will repatriate your bike, if you were unable to, as a result of an accident. To be honest i also get euro breakdown - so one of these should kick in, should the worst happen.

Edited by pilninggas, 14 January 2012 - 01:44 pm.

#12 pilninggas

pilninggas

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:44 pm

QUOTE(SteveK @ Sat 14th Jan 2012, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just checked last year was £28ish, the year before was £21ish - I guess this year will be £35!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:50 pm

The Post Office do the cheapest Travel Insurance that covers you for riding a bike larger than 125cc - someone on here recommended them but can't remember who.

My understanding is that the E111 just gives you basic hospital cover offered in that country (which I assume varies from country to country) but won't pay to get you home if you can't ride home.

You need to get breakdown cover to get the bike repatriated, travel insurance won't cover that.

Edited by hallrob1, 14 January 2012 - 01:51 pm.

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#14 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the E111 doesn't mean you don't have to pay for treatment. It only provides the same level of care as locals. The NHS doesn't pick up thr bill.

I stand to be corrected of course.

#15 pilninggas

pilninggas

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:21 pm

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Sat 14th Jan 2012, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure the E111 doesn't mean you don't have to pay for treatment. It only provides the same level of care as locals. The NHS doesn't pick up thr bill.

I stand to be corrected of course.

turns out were both right/wrong:

about EHIC

#16 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:48 pm

I have annual world wide on my house insurance and my bank gives free european cover. I haven't yet checked for motorcycle exclusions..... But I would never go abroad without travel insurance as it coverrs more than just medical - personal injury, liability, etc.

Edited by TKH, 14 January 2012 - 02:50 pm.

#17 pilninggas

pilninggas

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:22 pm

QUOTE(hallrob1 @ Sat 14th Jan 2012, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Post Office do the cheapest Travel Insurance that covers you for riding a bike larger than 125cc - someone on here recommended them but can't remember who.

My understanding is that the E111 just gives you basic hospital cover offered in that country (which I assume varies from country to country) but won't pay to get you home if you can't ride home.

You need to get breakdown cover to get the bike repatriated, travel insurance won't cover that.

thanks for that info, it is very cheap with good cover.

#18 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:38 pm

http://www.rescuemyc...nce/Motorcycle/

Someone recommended this crowd last year, I just kept the link in Bookmarks.

#19 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:23 pm

So on reading the e111information I can't see why, for a bike tour, you'd need travel insurance. E111 covers health issues, including an accident. Breakdown cover for any accident or breakdown. So what would the travel insurance give you?

I always think of travel insurance to cover holidays where you fly out, stay in a hotel etc. Go skiing etc. Etc.

#20 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:37 pm

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Sat 14th Jan 2012, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So on reading the e111information I can't see why, for a bike tour, you'd need travel insurance. E111 covers health issues, including an accident. Breakdown cover for any accident or breakdown. So what would the travel insurance give you?

I always think of travel insurance to cover holidays where you fly out, stay in a hotel etc. Go skiing etc. Etc.

Each to their own I guess. dunno.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users