23 replies to this topic

#1 futtfutt

futtfutt

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:18 am

All joking aside I hope people take the time to read this and hopefully come up with an answer.

Yesterday afternoon rural road near Chipping Norton, I have slowed down to turn right at a staggered crossroads.
Volvo approaching flashes me and has his drivers side indicator going [ie. he's going to turn the opposite way to me]
So I pull out across the right turn, but Volvo carries straight on and misses me by literally inches. If the road had been wet or if Volvo going any faster, I'd have been pulped.

The question is: a] What do you do if this situation happens with any vehicle?
and b] What do you do if its a Volvo or other vehicle THAT ALWAYS HAS ITS LIGHTS ON?

I absolutely know that this guy had his right turn indicator going and yet he wasn't intending to turn, and I'll swear that he flashed his headlights twice to call me across.
It also occurred to me afterwards, that it is just possible for the sun to reflect off headlights at this time of year, and give the impression that they have been flashed.
I have to admit that although I am always a very cautious rider this has left me wondering am I getting to the point when I should hang up the bike keys for good, despite me holding a clean licence for nearly half a century.

An old Cherokee told his grandson, "My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us.
One is Evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies, and ego.
The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humilty, kindness, empathy and truth.
The boy thought a while then asked "Which Wolf wins?"

"The one you feed" replied the old man...

#2 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:24 am

I tend to wait for conformation, like a change in speed or road position, or the front wheels starting the alter their angle, many times I've looked hard in the rear view mirror for a reason the guy behind flashed me and realised the bumpy roads cause the effect of headlights flashing.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#3 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:35 am

good.gif

Just a thought, how many times have you found your indicater still flashing after you were positive you turned it off unsure.gif

................ and you wonder why they started to turn in front of you ranting.gif

drinks.gif

#4 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:36 am

If there were an accident he would deny flashing or indicating, putting you in the wrong.

I tend to treat all other road users like they want to kill me.... so I would let him pass.

#5 RSRocket

RSRocket

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 991 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:17 am

Do they still make "Volvo Aware Biker" stickers that I remember from the 70s?
24 Hours in a Day, 24 beers in a tray !

"I think the firing orders wrong! : ) "
"I do it with Twins"

Lone Wolf Rider

#6 paddy900

paddy900

roondaboot

• 1,246 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:25 am

I think you just count this as 1 near miss you wont forget,

as MB says how many times have you travelled on down the road without turning off your blinkers after you have made a turn, I know i am guilty of that,

Maybe the road surface was uneven giving you the impression he flashed his lights,

DONT be thinking of hanging up your keys,

Just think twice the next time
2003 TDM900 in Yellow....Best Colour, Fender extender, Oxford Heated Grips, Givi luggage, Mirror extenders, GS1150 Handguards, Matching seat cover, Belly Pan, R&G crash bungs, Touring screen, Meta alarm, K&N Air Filter,
Centre Stand, Scottoiler,Carbon Cans......really loud, Stainless steel Rad Guard, 12v Accessory socket,

Join us on Facebook

#7 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:25 am

Not a nice thing to say but I've had people do things just for the laugh. Like looking at me and pulling out in front of me on a round about and still laughing or other purposely sharply moving out on me as I'm overtaking. I'm with Maximus, treat all road users as though they're out to get you.

#8 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:29 am

I ignore Headlamp flashes totally, for years they have increasingly been used for ambiguous reasons, read your highway code it states clearly and has done for many years, a headlamp flash is a silent warning of approach the same as a horn is an audible warning of approach.
I always wait for a deviation in path before pulling out/across any traffic, I also have an indicator bleeper on my bike so that I do not forget to cancel them. tup.gif

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#9 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:39 am

QUOTE(masterbrewer @ Sun 26th Feb 2012, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good.gif

Just a thought, how many times have you found your indicater still flashing after you were positive you turned it off unsure.gif

................ and you wonder why they started to turn in front of you ranting.gif

drinks.gif

Regretfully, I felt compelled to instal an audible back up to remind me to switch them off.......I'd become aware that I occasionally failed to do so myself, & had seen numerous other bikers do the same........The gizmo is sufficiently irritating & embarrassing to be a v.effective prompt. It's saving grace is that 'my' particular version shuts-up if you apply the brake,
so - stopped at a junction for instance - brake on, it only starts up when you begin moving forward. I think there are other versions that have timers etc......
- Works for me, albeit through gritted teeth.........Jiff.

#10 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:14 pm

I accepted a wave from a driver once and I immediately thought that was a stupid mistake. Never again. And I do not believe a car's indicators just as I hope some will disbelieve mine when I have left them on - the imagined consequences are "proper" scary. I have a magnifying glass on my other bike's indicator warning light but it does not really help enough. A beeper would be good. Where do they come from?
From one who might have more years than you (we're nearly all "old fossils" on here, as one of our members once pointed out): do not give up.
Robo
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#11 pilninggas

pilninggas

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:34 pm

a few months ago, was out with a mate and he was following me. i kept looking down to see that i had not cancelled the indicator and had even activated a left-turn signal several times (or so i confusingly thought). we pulled-over and my mate was taking the piss and i thought i was going barmy.

a few weeks later, i am doing the 6000 miles service (it is an XJ6S) and check the electrics - the left turn signal once activated, won't cancel until the bike is turned off!!!

take the LHS switch-gear apart and it is full of damp and wet (!), no wonder it has been doing whatever it wants. dry it off and spray it lightly with WD40 (inlcuding the inside of the case itself). although the switches have drain-holes, the inside is bright and i think it suffers a bit from condensation.

i know the 850 switches are different, but if the 900 has the same stuff as my divvy, maybe this is causing a problem for you/other parties.

something i will check at every service - condensation causing corrosion in there isn't worth thinking about.....

Edited by pilninggas, 26 February 2012 - 12:34 pm.

#12 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:14 pm

QUOTE(Robodene @ Sun 26th Feb 2012, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A beeper would be good. Where do they come from?

From one who might have more years than you (we're nearly all "old fossils" on here, as one of our members once pointed out): ...........
Robo

Got mine from Peterborough Imports (07961 333441) -0r check it out via: www.indicator-buzzers.com

.............Jiff ( the oldest fossil still in attendance ? )

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:48 pm

Don't move until you can see the whites of their eyes !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:39 pm

If he flashes his lights he's giving you a silent warning contrary to popular belief

Volvo's sometimes have amber running lights, in the sun could it have been this that you saw?

Either way, your OK and that's the main thing. As people have said, don't hang up your keys, just take it as an educational moment

#15 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:38 pm

As already mentioned, I'd be looking at the driver and expect an acknowledgement to satisfy me they're giving way and a slowing down. But I have waved cars on, especially when there's little traffic and no need for them give way.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#16 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:47 pm

QUOTE(jiff @ Sun 26th Feb 2012, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regretfully, I felt compelled to instal an audible back up to remind me to switch them off.......I'd become aware that I occasionally failed to do so myself, & had seen numerous other bikers do the same........The gizmo is sufficiently irritating & embarrassing to be a v.effective prompt. It's saving grace is that 'my' particular version shuts-up if you apply the brake,
so - stopped at a junction for instance - brake on, it only starts up when you begin moving forward. I think there are other versions that have timers etc......
- Works for me, albeit through gritted teeth.........Jiff.

wifgeni.gif
People flash lights for many reasons......hello, thanks, after you and you bastard, are just some. Never assume a flash is meant for you or as it's safe to carry out a manouver.........that responsibility is yours!!
A friend turned right as an oncoming bus had flashed, and his Golf was written off by a car passing the bus. The bus driver escaped injury and any blame.
I never respond to flashed lights unless I can see the whole picture. angel.gif angel.gif
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#17 futtfutt

futtfutt

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:03 pm

A great many thanks for all the replies, genuinely appreciated. good.gif
No, I won't hang up my keys yet and, when I get another flasher, I will proceed with extreme caution, or, if possible, wave the driver on.
What really threw me yesterday was the fact that the driver was definitely indicating to turn right, so I am now just wondering if Volvos have audible indicator buzzers....

All's well that ends well as they say, but it sure made me sweat, and hopefully others will make a mental note.
Cheers from Futtfutt.
An old Cherokee told his grandson, "My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us.
One is Evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies, and ego.
The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humilty, kindness, empathy and truth.

#18 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:36 am

QUOTE(futtfutt @ Sun 26th Feb 2012, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A great many thanks for all the replies, genuinely appreciated. good.gif
No, I won't hang up my keys yet and, when I get another flasher, I will proceed with extreme caution, or, if possible, wave the driver on.
What really threw me yesterday was the fact that the driver was definitely indicating to turn right, so I am now just wondering if Volvos have audible indicator buzzers....

All's well that ends well as they say, but it sure made me sweat, and hopefully others will make a mental note.
Cheers from Futtfutt.

Audible warnings make no difference, always remember that Volvos are driven by dozy bastards who only buy them because they offer the best crash protection so it doesn't matter to them if they are shite drivers.

#19 futtfutt

futtfutt

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:46 am

QUOTE(fatchap @ Mon 27th Feb 2012, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Audible warnings make no difference, always remember that Volvos are driven by dozy bastards who only buy them because they offer the best crash protection so it doesn't matter to them if they are shite drivers.

A good point, and the same principle applies to most of the women I see driving around the Cotswolds in FWD's tdown.gif

Edited by futtfutt, 27 February 2012 - 12:09 pm.

#20 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:31 pm

Another thing to take on board whilst we are talking about hazard perception is that , for many myself included, it's now been months since we were riding and I now ride extremely cautiously for the first month or two of Spring whilst my skills get back to full strength. A couple of years ago I was following a car on a country lane for miles, it was the first ride of the year, the sun was shining and I was totally relaxed and looking around at the rolling Worcestershire countryside only to realise that the car in front had inexplicably started to brake. I gave the blue spots a really hefty squeeze and just managed to stop in time. Boy did that focus the mind!

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users