• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 KurtDeVos

KurtDeVos

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 66 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:12 pm

Hi all im new around here and on the adventure to get myself a TDM 900. 

So today I had a day off so thought I may check out this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291654975723. So I turn up a the shop and they wheel the bike out and I get the usual start up and have a seat treatment, the member of staff was pleasant enough but then the manager (im guessing) rolled in and took over the sale. He said how the price was good and will not move on the price, he asked if the Yamaha Diversion was mine at which point he said there was no trade in deal.

All this before I even thought about any sort of haggle or trade in, he then showed me the paperwork and it had not been serviced since 2012 but said it did not need it because of the mileage (but im sure servicing is annual regardless of low mileage). On the MOT it had 3 advisories one for a loose chain and two for slight play in the suspension bushes. I asked if these had be done but he told me they were only minor and again showed me the mileage. 

The straw that broke the camels back was when I asked to test ride it and he said no not today, as he wheeled it back to its spot he said people who buy these have normally already have ridden them...I have never ridden a TDM nor a 2 cylinder so I wanted to know how it felt before I parted with my hard earned especially with it having slight play in the suspension. 

So I dont know is that normal for a dealer?

Edited by KurtDeVos, 12 January 2016 - 04:15 pm.

#2 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:29 pm

Hi Kurt, welcome to the wonderful wacky world of the TDM. :D  :welcome:

Not dealt with enough dealerships to say if its normal or not, but it doesn't sound a very customer friendly one does it! If they're not going to let you ride a bike you want to buy from them to...well...ride, then I say stuff 'em!

Here's my two pennies worth on dealers, I've just dumped mine because their attitude stank and the more I went to them and parted with my cash the stinkier their attitude got. :angry:

You'll probably find a damn good bike from someone on here at a fair price. PasstheBuck I think has one for sale at the mo.

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:38 pm

Never bought a boike from dealer and never will!

Find wan you are interested in and post up details ear. The Hawkeyes will soon give a verdict ... May know the boike and have no vested interest in stitching ewe oop!!

I would let you try mine but its a mk1 and it would only make ya disappointed in the 9er ;-)

Good luck on yes search.

Aswell as PTBs 9'er Jerrys was sellin a low miles 9'er.

Ya might find a carpedIan local what will come tyre kickin with you if ewe wanted. Oi can offer me boot in the Devonia and Morris dancin regions of the UK if that elps
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 tediumwannabe

tediumwannabe

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 198 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:39 pm

Main dealers are total 'kers,

Ask around, plenty of every kind of bike about, and loads of TDMs. Buy from a friendly enthusiast, on here maybe, or find a decent independent trader/shop who'll look after you. Don't be afraid to haggle or walk away but be reasonable in what you're asking for.

Good luck mate.

#5 KurtDeVos

KurtDeVos

• 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:03 pm

If they're not going to let you ride a bike you want to buy from them to...well...ride, then I say stuff 'em!

My thoughts exactly, I mean I had phoned ahead come down in time and what he did not know I had the money in my jacket. The attitude was just one of give me your money and get out, he took great pride in telling me how if I don't buy it some guy was after in from Portsmouth and was happy to pay the extra £150 for delivery. 

Never bought a boike from dealer and never will!

Find wan you are interested in and post up details ear. The Hawkeyes will soon give a verdict ... May know the boike and have no vested interest in stitching ewe oop!!

I would let you try mine but its a mk1 and it would only make ya disappointed in the 9er ;-)

Good luck on yes search.

Aswell as PTBs 9'er Jerrys was sellin a low miles 9'er.

Ya might find a carpedIan local what will come tyre kickin with you if ewe wanted. Oi can offer me boot in the Devonia and Morris dancin regions of the UK if that elps

Thanks for the offer but im all the way down in Ascot! 

Main dealers are total 'kers,  Don't be afraid to haggle or walk away but be reasonable in what you're asking for.

Good luck mate.

Cheers, im quite happy to haggle and have bought and sold many cars and bikes as im sure we all have its part of the experience. But these guys just put it on the table before i had even had a chance to get a feel for the bike and that put me right off. 

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:12 pm

Crikey he sounds like a right wanker, dont get hung up on low mileage Kurt it will only cost you more money, TDM's are pretty robust, some with mega mileage..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:53 pm

Crikey he sounds like a right wanker, dont get hung up on low mileage Kurt it will only cost you more money, TDM's are pretty robust, some with mega mileage..

True. They can even withstand oil without added motorcycle juice :lol:

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#8 KurtDeVos

KurtDeVos

• 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:55 pm

True. They can even withstand oil without added motorcycle juice :lol:

Im pretty open minded with mileage, you can get super high mileage bikes that looked like they just rolled out the show room. Although all the bikers at work are already ribbing me for wanting one and keep telling me to get the big cc adventure bikes. 

Edited by KurtDeVos, 12 January 2016 - 08:56 pm.

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:49 pm

Bigger adventure bike me arse, i mean supposing i were a bit more flush the idea would be tempting, i've done big mileage on a mk1 and a 9r, they have all you'll ever need to be honest and certainly a lot more economical which will leave more beer cake money.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 KurtDeVos

KurtDeVos

• 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:56 pm

Bigger adventure bike me arse, i mean supposing i were a bit more flush the idea would be tempting, i've done big mileage on a mk1 and a 9r, they have all you'll ever need to be honest and certainly a lot more economical which will leave more beer cake money.

its more cake money for me! Exactly my point, they are more economical, not going to be a big pain in traffic. This is coming from a guy that always has the latest Triumph Tiger on that PCP finance nonsense. 

#11 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:58 pm

Hi Kurt, and WELCOME

I bought my TDM from a dealer. They were up for a deal, gave me a test ride and replaced the chain and sprockets without me asking. I know I could have bought one cheaper, but the deal was good for me, low miles, nice nic, and a short warranty.

Dealers like the one you have found will be weeded out by potential customers doing what you have done.....Walked Away.

There are many decent TDM's around and as stated the mileage seems to be less important than for some other boikes you might fancy. Dont listen to other bikers ribbing who probably never rode a TDM. I bought mine as a second bike, and my riding mates were "amused" by it...until I used it to do some runs with them and they realised that it was quick enough to keep any of them honest, all day comfy, and seemed to not really need fuel all that often.

Take the plunge and educate them.

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#12 KurtDeVos

KurtDeVos

• 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:24 pm

Thanks Roger, 

Yeah it just seems they have some sort of hang up, but I have always been for being different in the carpark!  I need a bike thats a jack of all trades, so is happy lurking around traffic and the back roads with the odd motorway run and trips to Europe but can also take me to work everyday. Out of all the bikes the TDM seems to fit the bill quite nicely. 

#13 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:05 am

Thanks Roger, 

Yeah it just seems they have some sort of hang up, but I have always been for being different in the carpark!  I need a bike thats a jack of all trades, so is happy lurking around traffic and the back roads with the odd motorway run and trips to Europe but can also take me to work everyday. Out of all the bikes the TDM seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

You've just described the TOM exactly.

Welcome to the madhouse by the way, there's a few of us local who can kick tyres if asked.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#14 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:07 pm

Mick thinks he's got a TOM, but it says TDM on the fairing!

Edited by chrisr, 13 January 2016 - 01:07 pm.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#15 tediumwannabe

tediumwannabe

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:54 pm

Kurt, another thing you need to do is make a draft of this thread including all the comments and send them to Bridge Moto's MD along with your "STICK IT UP YOUR ARSE" letter.

Happy Days.

#16 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:38 pm

Mick thinks he's got a TOM, but it says TDM on the fairing!

:rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:

Fecking autocollect!

Hate using tables.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#17 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:13 am

suspension bearings and seals with rollers would be near £100 in parts alone, then you need a press tool to put them in with. A right shady shower they seem to be.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:14 am

I'ld say it's only normal for people who don't how to sell, or people with something to hide.

This time of year, what dealer doesn't want a customer through the door - I was in an Edinburgh dealer the week before Christmas, as I walked past the staff office I heard them say (at a volume deliberately loud so that I would hear it, for fun) - Look ! A  customer !

suspension bearings and seals with rollers would be near £100 in parts alone, then you need a press tool to put them in with. A right shady shower they seem to be.

Do you happen to have the dimensions, or bearing part numbers for them handy ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#19 KurtDeVos

KurtDeVos

• 66 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:39 am

This is what I thought, when I asked about them he downplayed it instantly saying it was only slight. His attitude was someone with bite my hand off for this, there was quite a few imperfections in the body work, the usual engine peel etc but the way he was acting it was a brand new bike just out of the container from japan. He also said the previous owner had only used it to commute to work but at 4k miles he must of only lived around the corner again not very good for the engine. 

I'ld say it's only normal for people who don't how to sell, or people with something to hide.

This time of year, what dealer doesn't want a customer through the door - I was in an Edinburgh dealer the week before Christmas, as I walked past the staff office I heard them say (at a volume deliberately loud so that I would hear it, for fun) - Look ! A  customer !

So I was down at infinity motorcycles yesterday and wanted to try out the MT09 Tracer, not a problem was out on the bike 20 minuets after walking in to the shop. Everyone was friendly and very knowledgeable about the bikes they were selling. I think the guy at Bridge Moto seemed like he knew how to sell but to only one customer, the ask no questions, part with money get them out of the door kind.  

#20 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:00 am

This is what I thought, when I asked about them he downplayed it instantly saying it was only slight. His attitude was someone with bite my hand off for this, there was quite a few imperfections in the body work, the usual engine peel etc but the way he was acting it was a brand new bike just out of the container from japan. He also said the previous owner had only used it to commute to work but at 4k miles he must of only lived around the corner again not very good for the engine. 

So I was down at infinity motorcycles yesterday and wanted to try out the MT09 Tracer, not a problem was out on the bike 20 minuets after walking in to the shop. Everyone was friendly and very knowledgeable about the bikes they were selling. I think the guy at Bridge Moto seemed like he knew how to sell but to only one customer, the ask no questions, part with money get them out of the door kind.  

What did you think of the Tracer? It was too noisy, sporty and busy for me. The TDM is far more suited to old farts like myself.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users