• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Coopz

Coopz

sticking around

• 27 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:36 pm

Hey I know this is a common question but I really need a better screen for my 900. I'm 193cm and the stock screen was ineffective, I tried no screen which was better but it's tiring on longer rides. Bought a large cheapy off Aliexpess, it was good till 80kph then the wind noise and buffeting got intense (even with a good helmet and earplugs), I trimmed 10cm off and now the wind hits me in the neck.. Can't win.

A friend put me in contact with a custom screen company (I'm in Australia and the market is tiny here) The company has 2 options that might work, a older model double bubble and a updated version, just wondering if anyone has any experience or recommendations?

Attached Files

#2 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 22 March 2023 - 01:39 pm

After the standard and touring Yamaha screens, I then an Mra Varioscreen on both my TDM’s for years, got on fine with that, a couple of years ago I changed to the Mra X-creen, for me it’s even better so will be staying with it. It’s another one of those “ what’s the best tyres” questions, it may take a while (and quite a bit of money) to find out what suits you. Unless you can borrow off other owners.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#3 Coopz

Coopz

sticking around

• 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:18 pm

After the standard and touring Yamaha screens, I then an Mra Varioscreen on both my TDMs for years, got on fine with that, a couple of years ago I changed to the Mra X-creen, for me its even better so will be staying with it. Its another one of those whats the best tyres questions, it may take a while (and quite a bit of money) to find out what suits you. Unless you can borrow off other owners.

Thanks, I've heard the Varioscreen is good but it's impossible to get in Australia and postage from Europe is very expensive. The TDM never took off in Australia, a friend has one and that is the only other tdm I've ever seen here..

#4 Boosh

Boosh

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 31 July 2023 - 07:47 am

I'm of a similar mind to Coopz - removing the screen completely is the quietest option for me, although the bike, visually, clearly has something missing - it's far from ideal!

Many years back, I did make a screen, as close to the standard one as I could shape it, out of corrugated cardboard, painted over with PVA adhesive. This was so it was stiff, but I could easily and quickly cut the screen (with decent scissors), to see how low it needed to go to become as quiet as no-screen.  For me, it needed to be cut down to almost nothing!

I've tried the genuine Yam raised screens (both), and an older-style MRA (borrowed off someone else's bike).  The MRA was good, but not as good as I expected, the Yam screens less so.

The noise and buffeting is what I'd like to reduce (same as everyone else, I imagine).

Did you find a good compromise, Coopz? Did you get any joy with a double-bubble?

All answers welcome!

Edited by Boosh, 31 July 2023 - 07:58 am.

#5 Coopz

Coopz

sticking around

• 27 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 03:43 am

I added a deflector to my aftermarket Aliexpess screen. Only ridden it once at around 80kphbit it seemed to work well. Still noisy but no real buffeting problems. Spring starts in a few weeks, hopefully I'll get some testing miles on it.

Attached Files

#6 Boosh

Boosh

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 August 2023 - 02:27 pm

Thanks very much for the update.  I wish garages were that size in this country!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users