20 replies to this topic

#1 peteb

peteb

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:54 am

Hi chaps,

First up thanks to all the contributors who have made my reading and decision about buying so much easier. Just became the proud owner of an 09 ABS model with 46 thou on the clock. Has belonged to a mate of mine since new, and he's only selling because he's emigrating. The bike is in mint condition, and has quite a few extras...side and top boxes, touring screen, centre stand, heated grips and a few other sensible mods.

Buying it to try and make it a bit easier for my wife to join me travelling. Have been using a KTM 950 ADV, but its a bit tall for her to get on and off (it is the 'S' version), and a bit hard on the rear. We tried the TDM out before I bought it, and its a lot more comfortable for her, and easier for me with the combined COG being lower. Not too sure if I will keep the 950 or sell her (she is a beautiful machine, but there are already several other KTM plastics in the garage as well...). My first return to Yamaha in many a year, owned lots of them but went KTM when the Japanese all went 4 stroke. Which also means I haven't owned a linkage bike in over 20 years, so I guess that will be a good place to start servicing....wish me luck with the frame collar (actually I'm sure it will be fine because Ian is a pedantic owner and also a long time offroad riding mate of mine).

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:04 am

Hello dare and welcome
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:08 am

Greetings

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:17 am

Hello !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:17 pm

Welcome. Finally seen the light.

#6 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:42 pm

welcome to the site

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#7 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:04 pm

Hellooo and wecome Pete. Hope you bond with the bike and our little group here. There's a wealth of knowledge, experience and pure shoite on each and every topic. Enjoy!!
Oh...and PS... Where are yooooo?
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#8 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:40 pm

Welcome and good luck with the new arrival  :good:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#9 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:56 pm

Hi Pete and welcome to the forum, the best I've ever had the privilege to be a member of. There's plenty of info on tackling the lubrication of the rear suspension linkage in the Knowledge Base section including some piccies by lil' ol' me. Surprisingly it's under 'TDM 900 - Rear suspension linkage service'. Enjoy!

Riggers.

#10 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:01 pm

Welcome.

Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#11 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:07 pm

Hola!

#12 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:25 pm

Hi peteb!

Welcome!

Congratulations to the new toy. :drinks:

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#13 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:22 pm

:welcome:
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:12 pm

Hi and welcome. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:43 am

Hi Pete and welcome, good to know that some people are still able to say hello and introduce themselves!

Edited by chrisr, 19 August 2018 - 11:44 am.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#16 WayneUK

WayneUK

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:52 pm

:welcome:

#17 peteb

peteb

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:31 am

Thanks for all the welcomes, to answer one of the questions I am in Durban, east coast of South Africa. And the linkage greasing went well, no problems with the sleeve or anything else. Was going to do a shock service at the same time, but discovered the bumber is a bit disintegrated, so will have to order one of those before I strip it down. Nice to work on a bike which has been looked after and plenty of grease in all the right spots.

#18 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:13 pm

Thanks for all the welcomes, to answer one of the questions I am in Durban, east coast of South Africa. And the linkage greasing went well, no problems with the sleeve or anything else. Was going to do a shock service at the same time, but discovered the bumber is a bit disintegrated, so will have to order one of those before I strip it down. Nice to work on a bike which has been looked after and plenty of grease in all the right spots.

How are we fixed for a get together in Durban Pete ? That'd be a ride out ;)

#19 peteb

peteb

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:54 pm

We can get together whenever you're keen...we have some of the best riding (and the best beer!) in the world!

#20 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:37 pm

We can get together whenever you're keen...we have some of the best riding (and the best beer!) in the world!

How to cause an argument discussion :hide:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users