26 replies to this topic

#1 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:55 pm

All - my 9'er failed MOT today. I'd checked everything from front to back and was pretty confident of the usual pass. However what I didn't know is that HIDs are now a fail as are exhausts louder than stock.

I'm glad I kept old of all the old exhausts and lighting stuff.

Just thought I'd share for those like me who weren't aware of the new rules that apparently came in a couple of months ago. So, back to dim lights. I guess the neighbours will be a bit happier re the cans.

#2 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:58 pm

That's a pain. Must admit I didn't know that about HID's. I have one for the dip and it passed last month. :huh:

Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#3 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:13 pm

With mine as soon as he went to the lights test asked me about the HID and apologised for failing the bike. Gutted. Maybe they didn't clock that you has a HID on dip as it would start up after the bike did. Maybe the issue is with high beam, as I have it, with a fast starting ballast. Anyhoo I was looking forward to some riding tomorrow .....

#4 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:22 pm

This is a fast ballast for high beam

http://www.hid50.com/FastBright.html

Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:43 pm

Sorry for yer MOT test fail but glad about the new space ship light rule.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:47 pm

Took mine in yesterday and had a niggling feeling that it might fail for the first time. I knew my chain was too slack, but didn't have the right socket to adjust it. So I decided to take it to a backstreet Trotter's Emporium MoT centre in Carlisle, rather than the last nit picker, in hope they might overlook it. Got that wrong. He sort of shamed me for it, then said 'I'm not gonna fail it, but get it fixed'. I gave him a drink for adjusting it there and then. Nice bloke, bit of a Cumbrian bruiser with a heart. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#7 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:50 pm

Forthose with different rear indicator lights, there's a new MoT issue about the distance between the lights. I cannot give you the actual requirement.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#8 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:48 pm

I'm in Penrith to do a fit of a tour round got soaked coming from loch Lomond still waiting for my mate from London on a niner he's got lost and I'm getting pissed waiting for him

#9 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:13 pm

It's all here from May 20th 2018

https://www.mot-test...anuals/class12/

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:09 am

Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units shouldnt be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 Pantboy

Pantboy

850 going for 900

• 890 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:27 pm

"8.1 Noise
8.1.1 Exhaust noise
If possible, you should assess the exhaust noise by revving the engine to approximately half the maximum engine speed. The engine should be warm before you carry out this check.

It isn't possible to rev the engine on twist and go type motorcycles.

The exhaust system and silencer should be in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the motorcycle isn't clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition."

Glad they cleared that up then.

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:25 pm

:lol:   Bloody annoying that twist n go bikes can makes loads of noise and still pass innit.

I doubt it'll change much in the real world as peeps will just swap to standard for the mot then swap back after passing.  Prolly do same with the zorst too.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 03:44 pm

Good news everybody! Passed after replacing cans with originals (didn't realise how much performance gain the defunct cans made), replacing HID with halogen and replaced a tyre valve he reckoned was faulty, it wasn't but it's easier to do the work than spend time arguing. And yes tyre valves aren't on the MOT unless they are blatantly a safety issue but mine wasn't.

Pair of cans made by Beowulf (not branded though) anybody?

#14 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:19 pm

:lol:   Bloody annoying that twist n go bikes can makes loads of noise and still pass innit.

I doubt it'll change much in the real world as peeps will just swap to standard for the mot then swap back after passing.  Prolly do same with the zorst too.

Mayhap, but if it wouldn't pass the mot test with them on and they're cited as a contributory factor in an accident ("I was dazzled by the oncoming headlight on the bike officer") then youll likely cop majority liability.

#15 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:04 am

"8.1 Noise
8.1.1 Exhaust noise
If possible, you should assess the exhaust noise by revving the engine to approximately half the maximum engine speed. The engine should be warm before you carry out this check.

It isn't possible to rev the engine on twist and go type motorcycles.

The exhaust system and silencer should be in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the motorcycle isn't clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition."

Glad they cleared that up then.

Testers opinion.....as it always has been...no change

#16 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:37 am

+1 arbitrary

same bs as reasonable or should not (see Highway Code for should not). Controlling bollox legal speak so they can let you go if your sir lord high sheriff king of the dressing gown and bicycle seat sniffers being strangled with a brassiere while .........., or nail your bank account/DWP if you've an income/other title................. ;) :punishment: mmmmm

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#17 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:51 pm

Good news everybody! Passed after replacing cans with originals (didn't realise how much performance gain the defunct cans made), replacing HID with halogen and replaced a tyre valve he reckoned was faulty, it wasn't but it's easier to do the work than spend time arguing. And yes tyre valves aren't on the MOT unless they are blatantly a safety issue but mine wasn't.

Pair of cans made by Beowulf (not branded though) anybody?

If there such a difference, put em back on. Youve got an MOT for 12 months now. ;)

Oh yes, the lighting rule applies to LED set ups too.

Edited by Jim, 19 August 2018 - 04:59 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#18 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:52 am

If there such a difference, put em back on. Youve got an MOT for 12 months now. ;)

Agree, just put your Beowolfs back on.

Sounds like either your silencers are genuinely too loud (Beowolfs do tend to be on the wrong side of volume even with baffle in) or your tester is a bit too anal.

The tester I go to is really sensible and will just raise an eyebrow to something silly like that (as long as it's not obviously too loud) as knows you'll just go back and change them after anyway, but will fail for something that really does need sorting.  Also it helps as I've been going to him for years with multiple bikes and he knows I sort anything that he raises as needing doing.

#19 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:37 pm

I am with Daplep on this one blinding oncomming drivers is not safe for you or them.

I take it the BS stamp on a exhuast means nothing now then?

Edited by MickC, 20 August 2018 - 07:38 pm.

#20 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:18 am

I take it the BS stamp on a exhuast means nothing now then?

Yeah but it's just to try and stop people getting (or modding) exhausts to antisocial levels - applies to cars as well.

Like I say, if the baffles were in I think he was being a bit pedantic to fail it, but maybe he would have let it slide if it hadn't been for the light as well.

I think HID's are ok if the beam pattern is still ok according to the test, but I agree they should fail if the light is too high or dazzling.

These day's it easier to go for LED though to be fair.  I've had them a while and feel you get the benefit of HID without the hassle of having to use ballasts and slow warm up times etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users