- - - - -

Just a thought

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PaulS_*

Guest_PaulS_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:22 pm

I have to confess I have been harbouring impure thoughts of changing my bike this year as I am topping 15K miles and, well, I've had it over a year!.
I've had a go on a Mutistrada, GS1150... planning to go on a Tiger, GS1200 and the Buell Ullysses (for a laugh and I live near a dealer).

HOWEVER.
In the past week I have
1. spent the day with my RoSPA observer "making progress" around Hampshire ~150miles
2. my normal weekly commute ~150 miles
3. loaded up with gear for a weekend of walking and zipped up to the Peak District ~180 miles
4. Scratched across the Peaks to Manchester, around to Chorley ~60 miles
5. Zipped back down from Chorley to Home ~200miles

No fuss, no bother, no oil used, bit more of a flat on the rear tyre, started on the button once I'd scraped the snow off it on Sunday... Which makes me think what a brilliant bike it is. Sure, the lights are crap for actually seeing where you're going in the dark, I get bum ache after 2 hours in the saddle and it gets a bit out of shape when pressing on. I know it's not a fair comparison, but my mate with the Ducati didn't even get it out of the garage to come up to the peaks because it wouldn't like being left outside. I didn't even consider that the TDM wouldn't behave itself.

This all leads to me thinking I should be upgrading the suspension rather than getting rid... any ideas how much I'd need to spend and on what?

#2 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:56 pm

Oh, brings a tear to my eye! What a great bike.

Good post PaulS. Got to ask though, why travel 200 miles to end up in Chorley? I live just a few miles from there and try to avoid it! Still, as someone once said, "the journey is the reward" - bikes are like that.

#3 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:27 pm

QUOTE(PaulS @ Mon 20th Mar 2006, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to confess I have been harbouring impure thoughts of changing my bike this year as I am topping 15K miles and, well, I've had it over a year!.
I've had a go on a Mutistrada, GS1150... planning to go on a Tiger, GS1200 and the Buell Ullysses (for a laugh and I live near a dealer).

HOWEVER.
In the past week I have
1. spent the day with my RoSPA observer "making progress" around Hampshire ~150miles
2. my normal weekly commute ~150 miles
3. loaded up with gear for a weekend of walking and zipped up to the Peak District ~180 miles
4. Scratched across the Peaks to Manchester, around to Chorley ~60 miles
5. Zipped back down from Chorley to Home ~200miles

No fuss, no bother, no oil used, bit more of a flat on the rear tyre, started on the button once I'd scraped the snow off it on Sunday... Which makes me think what a brilliant bike it is. Sure, the lights are crap for actually seeing where you're going in the dark, I get bum ache after 2 hours in the saddle and it gets a bit out of shape when pressing on. I know it's not a fair comparison, but my mate with the Ducati didn't even get it out of the garage to come up to the peaks because it wouldn't like being left outside. I didn't even consider that the TDM wouldn't behave itself.

This all leads to me thinking I should be upgrading the suspension rather than getting rid... any ideas how much I'd need to spend and on what?

Around £200 for a modified damper rod, springs and cartridge valve kit and £300 upwards for a decent rear unit.
Both mods make it a completely different bike whether your going for it on twisties without trying too hard or long distance in the saddle. Either senario, it makes a huge difference to the comfort and response of the bike. smile.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#4 Dave in Thailand

Dave in Thailand

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:28 am

QUOTE(PaulS @ Mon 20th Mar 2006, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm only getting a Tiger bacause I want a TDM with an extra cylinder. Keeping the TDM, too, but on different continents. Great bike.

#5 Guest_PaulS_*

Guest_PaulS_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:15 pm

QUOTE(SteveGlover @ Mon 20th Mar 2006, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, brings a tear to my eye! What a great bike.

Good post PaulS. Got to ask though, why travel 200 miles to end up in Chorley? I live just a few miles from there and try to avoid it! Still, as someone once said, "the journey is the reward" - bikes are like that.

Why travel over to Chorley?? - Combination of the semi-annual "men behaving mildy" weekend away with the lads (as were!) in the Peak district and my parents having just moved to a village near Chorley having lived their entire lives down south. I just wanted to make sure the parents were getting on with the strange food and local customs (I'm lucky in that I married somebody from the Manchester area and can just about understand the lingo)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users