dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:26 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sat 21st Jun 2008, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so maybe it's back to the 'drawing bored' huh.... laugh.gif biggrin.gif wacko.gif

Did you replace der leads?

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#62 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:42 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 22nd Jun 2008, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you replace der leads?

no but i checked the heedgasset using the 'washing up liquid and water' method and it looks loike no leaks, i removed the tank and hair box and will prolly replace the leads, but fer some reason i unplugged the CDI connectors and the lowermost pins on the CDI side looked a bit damp and lightly corroded so i sprayed ACF50 on them and will refit the unit over the next couple of days and see if she runs as God (despite her riding a Harley) intended, if thats the problem i will fabricate a rubber boot/shroud fer the CDI and it's associated connectors.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#63 Chatty

Chatty

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:21 pm

I got some great instructions and pics off Wicky for waterproofing my HT system, thanks.

First I thought I would try a different alternative, which has survived an hours ride in torrential rain, so far...........

I used glue lined heavy duty heatshrink (bought off Ebay) which sealed the HT lead from coil to cap. I packed the HT cap with silicon grease before screwing the cap back on so that the HT cap cover went inside the unheated heat shrink and then give it the heat gun treatment. I then used silicon grease between the grommet and HT cap. Everything else was left as standard apart from a liberal watering of wd40 (not the aerosol type) under the airbox.

Not saying it is the right way just an alternative.

ATB
Chatty

1999 TDM 850, Micron 2-1, Scottoiler, fender extender, Givi top box mounted on rear grab rail,

#64 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:13 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 23rd Jun 2008, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...i checked the heedgasset using the 'washing up liquid and water'...

That's a new one to me unsure.gif
Who on earth made me get a ZX9R???? I'll get 'em....

#65 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:15 pm

QUOTE(BN2TDM @ Mon 23rd Jun 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a new one to me unsure.gif

run d'injun, squirt the solution around the heed gasser and see if any bubbles form.....if so then hed gasket has prolly failed.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#66 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:53 pm

and there I was thinking of you with your engine in the kitchen sink again

#67 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:54 pm

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Mon 23rd Jun 2008, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and there I was thinking of you with your engine in the kitchen sink again

it nearly ended up in the skip earlier on !

#68 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:49 am

Just a point !

My new 2008 model has doulw insulated leads factory fitted.

So yamaha have spotted the weakness and done someting about it.
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#69 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:13 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Sun 23rd Aug 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a point !

My new 2008 model has doulw insulated leads factory fitted.

So yamaha have spotted the weakness and done someting about it.

I noticed the same on the '09, but they have still left the lead-coil junction uncapped... so, pre-emptively, I have taped this point with self-amalgamating tape.

To be sure, to be sure.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#70 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:13 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 23rd Jun 2008, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
run d'injun, squirt the solution around the heed gasser and see if any bubbles form.....if so then hed gasket has prolly failed.

I've seen this done on air cooled but would this work on a water cooled engine as the first place for a headgasket to blow is into the water jacket?

#71 Brakestick

Brakestick

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:16 pm

HELP !!!
My bikes running like a bag of hammers and I belive its the coils are starting to fail, I've tryed cleaning up the wirering contacts wrapping the ht leads and cleaning out the carbs and it still runs mostly on one pot. Does any body know if the coils are common with another model bike as tdm ones dont seem to be growing on trees or what is the best ( and cheapest) replacements.

#72 erny

erny

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:03 pm

I read somewhere that other bike coils are compatible.
I blame my noob thirst for TDM info for forgetting which bike/bikes, information overload I guess.
But definitly from a Yam bike
I need a sig. indeed with plenty of frickin polish

#73 waz68

waz68

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:41 pm

HI Guys,

New to the forum, and just been reading this thread, I have a 1999 850 4TX, only 6000 on the clock so still a baby, however the guy I bought it from has had it stood for some time.

The problems I'm having are firstly initially starting the bike, it coughs and splutters and backfires before eventually after much coaxing and much swearing it starts.

It then struggles to tick over even on the choke for a while until it warms up, and even then it's not clever.

I've had it ticking over and it's suddenly dropped below a grand and cut out, also done this a couple of times whilst riding, come to a stop and the revs dropped and cut out.

And last but not least I've had the sudden loss of power, cough and fart when twisting the throttle on to overtake etc, before it suddenly picks back up and shoots off like it's arse is on fire.

What do you reckon, was going to get the carbs balanced, check the plugs, but to be honest with the age of the bike they should be ok

Help blink.gif

#74 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:06 pm

i'd do a full service including cleaning out the carbs and go from there
sounds similar to the problems i experienced with a holed carb diaphram

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#75 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:54 pm

Hi and Welcome to Carpe !

Might be worth running a small bottle of Redex through the tank. It could be a sticky float valve. It shouldn't need the carbs balancing and, as Tony says, it's probably the carbs just needing a good clean.

Fresh fuel also if you've not already replaced it.

Make sure yer battery is fully charged up too.

If it was me, I'd give it some new plugs, oil/filter etc purely as it's been stood a while.

Halfords sell the Redex for about £3 a bottle.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#76 waz68

waz68

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:13 pm

Cheers Studley,

I'm going to take the carbs off and clean them through, wrap the HT leads in Self amolga....thingy tape, check and clean the plugs, and I'll do the redex as well.

The Batt is fully charged and hooked up to an optimizer, the fuel has been changed as it had a good run from Manchester to Scarborough when I picked it up, so all the old fuel used and fresh already going through the system. Oil is fresh, but I'll maybe change it anyway.

It it still isn't ok then I'll look at balancing.... rolleyes.gif

#77 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:09 pm

wonder if the atarter relay is in 'good condition' ?

#78 Readmarx

Readmarx

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:42 pm

My coils sit below the spine frame... It's a TDM motor in an XTZ frame. I re-did the waterproofing on mine last week. The key is to separate the coil post from any means of earthing or the wiring loom connections from shorting. On mine it means taping the coil posts, gaffa tape and mastic around the wiring loom connections and hanging the coil from the frame by plastic cable ties. I've found a better solution for the plug caps, but they differ to the TDM plug caps. I use Taylor HT leads and would change them every 2 years. But the coil itself... it's carefully wrapped in layers of randomly placed bubble wrap, gaffa tape and cable ties. It ensures no direct path for water and no place for water to pond or clear route for water to take. When water's under the tank, around carbs, airbox, etc it's driven by all sorts of air turbulance and pressures so having something that meets that and is all enclosing and completely unpredictable seems to be working so far. And, it's fucking cheap laugh.gif

Edited by Readmarx, 11 August 2011 - 12:43 pm.

mother nature rides a biker

#79 frodg

frodg

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 54 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:21 am

Old thread = long running thread = Solved with great advice....

Had the dreaded misfire when wet the last two torrential down-pores so I read through this thread and found a short to the frame at the lead/coil junction when I jiggled the lead on idle.

I assume "jiggled" is the technical term.

Only intermittent mind you but when it gets wet it seems to stuff up.

Self-amalgamating tape all over the place now and the short is fixed I hope.

Need a big puddle and some heavy rain to double check.
smile.gif

#80 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:44 pm

Only intermittent mind you but when it gets wet it seems to stuff up.

Self-amalgamating tape all over the place now and the short is fixed I hope.

Need a big puddle and some heavy rain to double check.
smile.gif
[/quote]

wee or jizz onnit and see the sparks fly excl.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users