• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 frogturn

frogturn

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:43 am

Hi Folks,not been on the forum since I sold my 900.ive now bought a 99 850 in good shape.
Except a noisy third gear.it rides well.
A brief look on the interweb suggests this is a comonish problem.
Bearing,chipped teeth or case hardening fail.
I dont mind stripping to solve as its a goodun.
So the questions are.
Is there a known fix?
Can I strip the motor by leaving the barrels and top end in situ,and separating the cases to get at the gearbox internals?
Many thanks,Paul.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:02 am

Known fix err a few threads but most MK1. Will depend somewhat on what you find worn.

You can't leave top end and barrels in situ, no.

Heard of some MK2 with whine but not normally the bigger problem of boike jumping out of turd.

There is considerable gasket expense in rebuilding Juan of these so I'd investigate all possible easy solutions first afore deciding on rebuild.

..and welcome back.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:27 pm

If its just whine, that's normal so your fine.

Depends on how loud it is. my 96 has been whining since I bought it

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:17 pm

:wifgeni:

Replacing the gear/gearbox is pretty expensive, even more so if you need to refurb the top end as well.  I found disturbing then refitting original piston rings just gave me mahoosive oil consumption after I'd replaced the gearbox.  I ended up doing a top end refurb.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:17 pm

Like Drewpy I have a 96 and it has a bit of a whine,gearbox works fine how long are you in 3rd for leave it as it is if the gears  go in and stays in gear leave it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users