16 replies to this topic

#1 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:16 am

This is an odd one I know but I'm totally serious. The doc's said it's time for a double hip replacement and the one thing I'm most worried about is not being able to ride when the job's done. As things are I can jack up on ibuprofen etc and manage a Scarborough and back but what of the future I wonder???

So my question is good Carpers has anyone been through this before and if so how are you now? Can you still get your leg over ( :) ) when you've become bionic?

Cheers guys - Tony.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:20 pm

Well Riggers just watch a few episodes of the million dollar man and consider what you'll be able to do for what probably cost's a Tenner  :lol:

Sure you'll be fine after a bit of physio, one of the lads on here has a riding buddie with 2 prosthetic legs ya know and you will probably make Mrs Riggers feel quite rejuvineted getting your leg over like a 20 year old  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 mototdm

mototdm

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 157 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:24 pm

No problem Riggers .I had a single hip replacement 18 months ago & oh boy is it a relief not to have that constant pain. It is a pretty brutal operation but with almost 100% success . It took 5 months from operation to riding the TDM again & really its great, no pain at all. Double hip replacement will have the same benefit but obviously longer recovery time & back in the saddle. Good luck & do the exercises prescribed to a speed your recovery.

#4 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:34 pm

This is an odd one I know but I'm totally serious. The doc's said it's time for a double hip replacement and the one thing I'm most worried about is not being able to ride when the job's done. As things are I can jack up on ibuprofen etc and manage a Scarborough and back but what of the future I wonder???

So my question is good Carpers has anyone been through this before and if so how are you now? Can you still get your leg over ( :) ) when you've become bionic?

Cheers guys - Tony.

:lol: WE ARE THE BORG!

I've a carbon fibre/kevlar heart valve and a pacemaker to keep it honest.

So, where there's a will......

#5 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:12 pm

Thanks for the replies and your reassurance guys.

I had thought my 'biking' days were over a few years ago when my FJR1300 had to go to be replaced by a Burgman 650 scooter. But then out of the blue the TDM came along and I had a new lease of biking life thanks to its riding position and narrow tank.

Quite when the op will take place is still a mystery known only to the NHS but at least I can now look forward to those broad, sunlit uplands on my trusty 9er.  :good:

#6 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:50 pm

Take your time recovering and you will be fine,a few years ago I suffered an open book break to my pelvis,fractured sacriolic joint,broken coxic,broken left hip,5 broken vertebrae,ribs and collarbone plus a huge list of internal injuries they told my wife to expect the worst and that I probably wouldn't survive the night ,fast toward 4 mths and I left hospital all be it in a wheelchair for 6 mths,I was taught to walk again etc,rebuilt my bike and started riding again,now I manage about 25 miles or so before I have give in and get off for 10 mins,but its still riding and that's all that matters☺

#7 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:09 pm

Cats has had one side done and rides his Tigger.

Take it careful and shouldn't be a problem.

Do we need a Cyborg section in the forum? :hide:

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:25 pm

Take your time recovering and you will be fine,a few years ago I suffered an open book break to my pelvis,fractured sacriolic joint,broken coxic,broken left hip,5 broken vertebrae,ribs and collarbone plus a huge list of internal injuries they told my wife to expect the worst and that I probably wouldn't survive the night ,fast toward 4 mths and I left hospital all be it in a wheelchair for 6 mths,I was taught to walk again etc,rebuilt my bike and started riding again,now I manage about 25 miles or so before I have give in and get off for 10 mins,but its still riding and that's all that matters☺

Wow, that's a story and a half. If that was a bike accident, well done for getting back on.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#9 alunl

alunl

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:30 pm

Just make sure you stop regularly for cake and it'll be fine!

My dad had a double hip-hop (as he calls it) and the difference in him was immense. No more wincing with pain getting out of the car, going up steps etc. He gave up bikes many years ago, but I'm sure he could have if the will was still there (and if my mother allowed it :rotflmmfao: )

Good luck!

The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
~ Bertrand Russell 1950

#10 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:49 pm

:lol: WE ARE THE BORG!

I've a carbon fibre/kevlar heart valve and a pacemaker to keep it honest.

So, where there's a will......

My exhaust is pretty fruity too!

#11 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,446 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:13 pm

[quote name="Riggers" post="312806" timestamp="1427886989"]This is an odd one I know but I'm totally serious. The doc's said it's time for a double hip replacement and the one thing I'm most worried about is not being able to ride when the job's done. As things are I can jack up on ibuprofen etc and manage a Scarborough and back but what of the future I wonder???

Cheers guys - Tony.[/quote
my mate has had both hips replaced albeit, one at a time but he is in his 60's and still rides and skis. He says the best thing is not having to live with the constant pain.
Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#12 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:00 am

Wow, that's a story and a half. If that was a bike accident, well done for getting back on.

It was I got t boned by a woman towing a horse box with a 4x4

#13 timoc

timoc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:41 am

I have arthritis in both hips, far worse in one than the other, and will have the one hip replaced in the next few years I'm sure, I had my seat reshaped which did improve my comfort on the bike. I know 3 people who have had hip replacements recently, all have said 'just do it', and after the healing, etc, they were told just carry on as normal. People do all sorts after THR, cycling, skiing, kayaking, etc, you just have to be a bit more careful. The reason I bought a TDM in the first place was to be more comfortable on the bike, my sports bike days are long gone now : (

No more a TDM owner :sorry: moved on to the Tracer :)

#14 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:59 am

Once again many, many thanks for all your replies guys. It's very humbling to hear your stories and just what some people have battled through to keep going. I don't have a firm date yet for the op. but my hips are definitely telling me that the job needs doing.

I'm paying the price today for an ambitious test ride yesterday on a Tracer (don't worry I'm not jumping ship just interested). I'll put a post up with my thoughts.

Many thanks again fellas, and fellesses,

Riggers.

#15 mac163

mac163

seems to like Carpe

• 42 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:23 pm

Hi ...........had a single hip replacement 15 years ago, still get out for a blast with my TDM and have travelled twice to the Pyrenees and Picos.

It is well worth getting it done.

Enjoy the ride

mac

#16 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:23 am

My wife has 2 hips done and regularly rides pillion although the mounting process is often hilarious!

I also have a full knee replacement and whilst thats different to a hip, its quite a complex joint, and i regularly ride 150 miles plus and have done so since about 6 mths after the op.

As all have said...go for it, you will be glad you did.

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#17 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,446 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:02 am

[quote name="Riggers" post="312806" timestamp="1427886989"]This is an odd one I know but I'm totally serious. The doc's said it's time for a double hip replacement and the one thing I'm most worried about is not being able to ride when the job's done. As things are I can jack up on ibuprofen etc and manage a Scarborough and back but what of the future I wonder???

Cheers guys - Tony.[/quote
my mate has had both hips replaced albeit, one at a time but he is in his 60's and still rides and skis. He says the best thing is not having to live with the constant pain.
Ali

I hadn't spoken to him for a while and he has just bought a Super Ten so I would say that is success.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users