Photo
- - - - -

Test-Riding Bmw R1200R - Prefer My 9Ner!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 danresh

danresh

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:25 am

Was offered a test-ride on the BMW R1200R - so took it for a ride. Powerful 1200cc Boxer engine that accelerates very impressively but vibrates at low speed and really unpleasant at idle.

Gear shifting is rough and sometimes unable to find the Neutral - even with the Quickshifting system.

Suspension is too hard for my taste but the bike manuvers sharply and precisely as a result.

Since this is the naked version, it was unpleasant at high speed but maybe the RS version with the fairing and appropriate windshield, would be nicer..

I was not impressed by the driveshaft - as compared to a chain drive-train..

Returned the bike to the dealer, climbed my 2009 9ner and enjoyed the smooth, comfortable and quiet ride home..

Conclusion: No way I would swap my TDM for this Beemer (and I am not reffering to the huge difference in price!)

I may check the new Versys 1000 in the future...

Danresh

Danresh - the HolyLand TDM knight

TDM900 (2009) - Lowered suspension, Lowered side-stand with wider tip, O2 sensor removed, Givi top and side-cases, H-7+90% headlights, Additional blinking backlights, Stehbel horn, Secdem screen, BMW1150 Bar-risers, Remote controled cellular alarm sys, Throttle lock cruise control, CrumpBuster, GIpro-x type Gear Indicator, Mirrors raised up and out. Rear sprocket-46 teeth. Speedo Healer. K&N AirFilter. Barkbusters Storm Hand-Guards. Dobeck Performance TFI-1025 injection control. Skene Design P3 back LED lights. G-2 Throttle Tamer. BikeVis Bullet LED DRLs on handguards. LED fairing light. 2 Cree U5 LED fog-lights mounted on engine guard. MRA Xcreen on windshield. PR3 tyres.

#2 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:03 am

I rode one a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. It was as rough as a badger's bum.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#3 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:18 pm

Hi Danresh sorry to go off at a tangent but do bikes suffer from the heat over there. I would imagine air cooled ones must struggle in city traffic.

#4 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:44 pm

Hi to all!

Danresh go through trial and resists the temptation. (Beemer not!) :punishment: 
Finally wins and back to the light. :clapping:

Welcome Danresh! :P

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#5 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:11 pm

I tested the Versys a couple of weeks ago, was glad to get back on my Jet again.

Its a good bike but it does you good see why the TDM is soooo good.!

:good:

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#6 danresh

danresh

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:28 am

Thanks guys. Tintin you are right in assuming that bikes here have to cool themselves quite frequently in the summer. My fan kicks in at traffic lights and traffic congestion situations almost regularity. Can you imagine what a sauna the rider goes through, wearing coat+boots+helmet+gloves in 30+degrees and 80%humidity...?. During winter we're o.k though..
E
Sidarta not to worry - it is more curiosity than the will to change bikes. My TDM is here to stay...

Geordie - as you said, it is really to enhance my addiction to the TDM more than looking for a substitute ...

Danresh
Danresh - the HolyLand TDM knight

TDM900 (2009) - Lowered suspension, Lowered side-stand with wider tip, O2 sensor removed, Givi top and side-cases, H-7+90% headlights, Additional blinking backlights, Stehbel horn, Secdem screen, BMW1150 Bar-risers, Remote controled cellular alarm sys, Throttle lock cruise control, CrumpBuster, GIpro-x type Gear Indicator, Mirrors raised up and out. Rear sprocket-46 teeth. Speedo Healer. K&N AirFilter. Barkbusters Storm Hand-Guards. Dobeck Performance TFI-1025 injection control. Skene Design P3 back LED lights. G-2 Throttle Tamer. BikeVis Bullet LED DRLs on handguards. LED fairing light. 2 Cree U5 LED fog-lights mounted on engine guard. MRA Xcreen on windshield. PR3 tyres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users