168 replies to this topic

#141 openroad

openroad

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 175 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:09 pm

looking to do the seals on my mk1 850. just ordered them on ebay. i've done this job on a few bikes in the last five years any thing i need to look out for when doing this job on a tdm. what weight oil and how much per fork are you gental foke using? my forks are squeaking at me which is making me think i've go no oil in or very little them which is kinda worrying. (seems fine while riding) the dust seals are looking a bit crappy tho. just passed an MOT today with them.

#142 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:10 pm

Fork oil capacity is 395cc per fork. Haynes say 10w oil but I think Yamaha have it at 7.5w. unsure.gif

I doubt very much if you'll get the old seals removed without damaging the fork bushes, unless you can force them out without having to separate the upper and lower parts. Chances are they're already damaged if there isn't any oil in the forks.

I'll say it again, but ya really will need a Haynes manual if you have to separate the forks. There are various bolts and washers, adjusters, rods and springs in there that would be difficult for anyone to accurately describe. Even the parts diagram takes some working out ! rolleyes.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#143 openroad

openroad

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:40 pm

does anyone have a web site address where i can get the bushes from.

#144 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:53 am

http://www.yamahasco...;DisplayID=5481

Metal Slide 1 & Metal Slide 2 are the upper and lower bushes.

Are you sure you need to do all this matey ? If it's handling fine and passed the mot the squeak might just be summat else like the clutch cable or the brake hoses catching.
I wouldn't go near my fork seals unless it were absolutely necessary, jobs a PITA.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#145 openroad

openroad

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:19 am

i have seen a bit of residue on the forks and the dust seals are knackard. it's the forks squeaking just bloody annoying. i LOVE TINKERING WITH MY BIKE. i don't go out drinking or smoke. this is my sort of hobbie. the seals are on the way. untill i look under the dust seals i won't now the extent of the leak thanks for the linky

#146 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:34 am

QUOTE(openroad @ Sun 1st Jul 2012, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i LOVE TINKERING WITH MY BIKE.

Defo get a heinz manuel then.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#147 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:37 am

Have you got the pdf parts file for your bike openroad ? Very handy with the exploded diagrams and you also get all the correct part numbers.

If you register on JBX's toptastic site you can download the files for free, registering is also free ! smile.gif

http://jbx9.free.fr/tdm/index.php

#148 openroad

openroad

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:14 pm

yer i have studley. i know i need to get a haynes manual i'm looking for one on ebay but want to get it as cheap as posible. got to love a good deal.

#149 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:07 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Mon 25th Jun 2012, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good move but you "missed out" on the pickled onion water Thomas. Oi can send thee a wee sample so you don't feel left oot. smile.gif

rolleyes.gif unsure.gif ohmy.gif rotflmmfao.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#150 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:18 pm

For reference: Mk1 oil seal removal.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread up to now but...

Once you're ready to separate the tubes from the sliders, it's a lot easier to do this if you gently warm the slider around where the top bush sits. I did mine with a blow torch but a hot air gun or boiling water on a rag wrapped around the top of the slider would do the same job. A gentle heat is all that's required, aluminium is a good heat conductor with a relatively low melting point! If you're lucky you might save your fork bushes. On mine, one side was okay the other ruined, but I'm replacing bushes on both sides anyway.

As mentioned already, use genuine Yam seals. I replaced seals on my FJ1200 three times in short succession before I ordered OEM, they're not much more expensive anyway.

Edited by Jim, 13 March 2015 - 06:20 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#151 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:18 pm

Good thinking Jim, godda be worth a try.  Anything that makes the job easier. :good:

#152 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:37 pm

I only split them if I'm fitting new bushes for seals only I use the hydraulic method to pop the seals out works a treat ☺

#153 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:48 pm

My seals went last year. I managed to change the seals on their own, without seperating leg and slider. 

Top cap and spring removed, let tube down into outer.

Use a very small drill. Drill into seal to start small hole in steel liner.

Screw a small self-tapper into steel. same on other side of seal

Use piece of wood or similar to protect top of slider, you can lever seal out quite easily.

Attached Files

Edited by danceswithmopeds, 13 March 2015 - 08:49 pm.

#154 loadedmind

loadedmind

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:49 pm

When you say #14 & #16, are you referring to this diagram? 

http://www.partsfish...b484/front-fork

I'm about to tackle this myself and want to ensure I order all the right parts.  Speaking of which, will these fork seals do the trick?

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B00691ZSF6

I've watched Delboy's video here:

https://www.youtube....h?v=vrmYJgcGX30

I believe that setup is similar to ours enough to copy the method.  Anyone care to verify and/or elaborate on possible gotchas?

--

"Not all who wander are lost."  ~ J.R. Tolkien

#155 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:31 am

I think I'm not the only one having run into trouble with aftermarket seals. Hat do change a couple of those after a few days - used genuine Yam ones after that.

A comment on the video: This way of separation of fork tubes are ~ 43.55% certainly ending up in warped bushings.

Consider an alternative way: https://www.youtube....h?v=QAK2GrWaTu0

Bjørge

#156 loadedmind

loadedmind

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:20 pm

Bjorge-> From the Amazon link, do those seals appear to be the ones you ordered?  What all other parts did you replace in the fork seal job or were they just the seals themselves?

Edited by loadedmind, 08 January 2016 - 03:18 pm.

--

"Not all who wander are lost."  ~ J.R. Tolkien

#157 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:13 pm

Just read this entire thread. What a trip!

I'm thinking I'll remove my forks and bring them to a pro for rebuild when the time comes.

I think I can swap the oil myself in the meantime...

#158 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:58 am

They're not that complicated. Not much you'd service other than oil seals and bushings - both easily swapped.

Bjørge

#159 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:30 am

:wifgeni:

Its not tricky and if not done fur a while then worth replacing bottom bushes anyway so doesn't matter if ya ruin em.

I would def do em yersen-----we can talk ya through stage by stage!

Havin said that, if seals not leaking then just changing the pickled onion water will make a big diff!!!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#160 idlebloke

idlebloke

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:18 pm

Looks like I may need to replace the seals and oil on my 4tx.

Googled first and landed on Dappers youtube vid, so have saved that to look at again.  Have been having a read here and making notes.

Quick Q.  Do we have a thread for the MkII, or are they pretty much the same as the MKI?

Oh.  In the meantime I have invested in one of these.  If it helps me thru' MOT next month, I can sort the seals and oil change later

http://www.ebay.co.u...rYAAOSwve5XOFnS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users