116 replies to this topic

#101 OldGreyWizard

OldGreyWizard

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:25 pm

I started having the misfiring, running on one cylinder when damp/wet a few months back. I found the fix on this site, can't find it again to say thank you!!

So the definative fix :-

Get a mountain bike inner tube cut two six inch lengths from it. Put the coil inside the inner tube, it is a tight fit.

Use self amalgamating tape to seal the ends.

Since doing this I have ridden through some really foul weather up and down the M1 and the TDM never misses a beat.

I was worried about over heating, but as it has been at least three months, in all temperatures so I guess this is not an issue.

I hope this helps someone else.

The blame is really with Yamaha - crap coils.

Edited by OldGreyWizard, 16 October 2013 - 08:26 pm.

#102 OldGreyWizard

OldGreyWizard

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:15 pm

It has been nearly six months since I wrapped the coils in the MTB tubes.

During this time I have ridden through some of the worst rain storms for hundreds of years, or so they say on the news!!

The TDM has never missed a beat, nor has there been an issue with coils overheating.

wrapping your coils in rubber is definately the way to go.

#103 watto1

watto1

seems to like Carpe

• 49 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:05 pm

Hi Lidl have this

POWERFIX Stretch Insulating Tape

From monday 24/03/14 if you havent already done your coils and plug caps Bargain

#104 Wimpy

Wimpy

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:15 pm

Hi Guys

Have done the air box mod today and would have waterproofed the HT leads but a cant get my hands in behind the rad to pull the lead of the plug. Anyone come up with an idea to get the leads of the plugs yet for us big handed people.

Cheers

W

#105 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:42 pm

Long handled ring pliers.

Like this.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43b35b4ed9

Get hold of plug cap, place a bit of card or rubber on top of cam cover as cushion and use it as a pivot point to pull plug cap up. Simples.

Edited by leehenty, 24 March 2014 - 07:43 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#106 Matt51F1

Matt51F1

sticking around

• 22 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:46 am

A bit late for a reply but I had this very same issue. Sometimes in light rain and not when riding through flood waters up to the axle - and sometimes when thundering down.

The problem comes from one of the connections that lives behind the airbox under the tank.  I had used liquid electrica tape to seal up everything with the coils and added extra heat shrink over the leads.  I was cleaning the area under the rear of the tank one day and it wouldn't start for the same problem.  WD40 in the (2 or 3) plugs fixed it right up and it hasn't done it since.  Has since sealed them up with liquid electrical tape as well :)

"A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!"

Additions: K&N Air Filter; Leo Vince slip-ons; Stebel Nautilus air horn; LED spotlights; Wiring control box for accessories & relays; Givi engine bars, rear rack & wing racks; Barkbusters.

Mods: LED headlight bulbs; 530-chain & only using Esjot sprockets; Airbox modification; Top Sellerie Seat + Tank protector; Bar-end mirrors + custom indicators.

185,000+ km (waiting for the day to crack the 200,000km)

#107 dunc103

dunc103

sticking around

• 34 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:33 am

I know this thread is 3 years old now but I've been experiencing the same problem for the first time in the bikes 21 years. 

Go out in the rain and it drops to one cylinder, with mine it seems only under load, back the throttle off and she comes back to life, no good when you're overtaking though.

I found after replacing both coils and cleaning every electrical connection I could find that it was arcing out between the HT lead, where it goes into the plug cap, and the engine casing. I followed the self amalgamating tape suggestion and it has partly fixed the problem. Last weekend, in the rain going to the Dragon rally, it started to do it again, I can't see any obvious arcing out so I'm running out of ideas. 

I've looked on Fowlers website for new plug caps and the buggers are £45 each ! yikes !

#108 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:57 pm

Correct fix... REPLACE LEADS with quality items. You can then wrap if you feel the need.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#109 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:54 pm

I know this thread is 3 years old now but I've been experiencing the same problem for the first time in the bikes 21 years. 

Go out in the rain and it drops to one cylinder, with mine it seems only under load, back the throttle off and she comes back to life, no good when you're overtaking though.

I found after replacing both coils and cleaning every electrical connection I could find that it was arcing out between the HT lead, where it goes into the plug cap, and the engine casing. I followed the self amalgamating tape suggestion and it has partly fixed the problem. Last weekend, in the rain going to the Dragon rally, it started to do it again, I can't see any obvious arcing out so I'm running out of ideas. 

I've looked on Fowlers website for new plug caps and the buggers are £45 each ! yikes !

I had the same problem and bought a length of good quality carbon core HT lead, wrapped it up well in self-amalgamating tape and haven't had a problem since. The only other thing I did made sure the leads were long enough to rest them in the side panels away from the frame.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#110 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:07 pm

I had a problem way back fitting carbon core leads, bike was'nt firing right hey ho, if you ring Magnecor they will send in the post for you.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#111 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:00 pm

I had a problem way back fitting carbon core leads, bike was'nt firing right hey ho, if you ring Magnecor they will send in the post for you.

I was looking up high quality high tension leads and generally they were copper. Years back I got advised to get carbon core, so did. It's been fine, but reading about it, in some leads the core disintegrates apparently. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#112 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:06 pm

I was looking up high quality high tension leads and generally they were copper. Years back I got advised to get carbon core, so did. It's been fine, but reading about it, in some leads the core disintegrates apparently. 

Yes that's what happened to mine now you mention it, did'nt take long either, likely a bad quality me thinks as well.

Seem to recall it was a definite no no for the 9r but the reason alludes me now, maybe to do with spark plug caps or iridium sparkies !! but then your's are doing the job.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#113 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:38 pm

NGK SD05FM-R..Fitted these a long time back and never had a problem since...perfect sealing fit through the cam cover grommets too with a smear of Vaseline to assist..hth.
Promo says they're hard plastic. They're not, they're rubberised and semi flexible..

Edited by Apache, 18 February 2018 - 01:42 pm.

#114 martinlisa

martinlisa

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:43 am

i have 1997 tdm 850. been running rough in wet so bought a galllon of wd40 and soaked all connections. ran perfect. went out yesterday, perfectly dry, on way home struggled to get over 30mph. bikek running on one cylinder.  one downpipe is blistering hot other can be held with bare hand. Eventually got plug cap off, covered in silicon, took plug out but it was clean and no issues. Checked for spark using old plug...nothing. checked for spark new plug...nothing. took end of plug off and used plug lead and still nothing. Any help and assistance would be gratefully received. new coils? ecu? bike still runs on one cylinder but no power and wont clear. used redex, power forte in past but no difference

#115 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:00 am

Sounds like it might be the coil, you could try checking the wiring to the coil and making sure the spades on the coil are nice and clean.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#116 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:25 am

Correct fix... REPLACE LEADS with quality items. You can then wrap if you feel the need.

100% dappers.... when I did the ol' ground up job on WinalotPrime I fitted 8mm Silicone racing leads from Powerspark in Bromsgrove  (see linky dink attached), contrary to urban myth I have been caught out in the rain a few times  :hide:  ... worst of which was a deluge of the wet stuff for 200 miles in Western France and he never missed a beat.

Also whilst the bike was stripped down I did rub down and paint the inside of the frame rails with Hammerite smooth silver and also laid on some 3M clear vinyl in the areas on said frame rails I thought could be an arcing point for the coils & leads just to be sure, as I stated before - no problems, and no mucky self amalgamating tape either !

https://simonbbc.com...icone-ht-leads/

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#117 Egoland

Egoland

arrived on last train

• 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 02:01 pm

I know this is an old thred, but here goes:

my 06 9er has problems when starting when cold, or i has been sitting for a day. It only starts on the left/no 1 cylinder. then it runs for 10-20 seconds, and the other cylinder kicks in. Changed spark plugs, changed the lead to the second cylinder, checked for sparks on motor or frame, run the ignition wires so they touch as litle as possible, And  cleaned the injectors, No change. Leaning towards a bad ignition coil, but who knows. I feel like I have done all the obvious things, but no cigar. 

Edited by Egoland, 06 December 2022 - 03:09 pm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users