6 replies to this topic

#1 RobinHood

RobinHood

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 October 2018 - 02:17 am

I invested in a clearance priced Shoei, £315 and overall I'm happy with it. But...

The pinlock insert causes a lot of 'ghosting' at night. I'm told ny Shoei this is due to the pinlock being for daytime use only and I should take it up with them. I'm not happy that I am supposed to remove the insert every time the sun goes down. I ride daily and am often out when the sun comes up or is setting including in winter when a pinlock is useful. And other brands have not been a problem with preventing fogging and not reflecting horribly.

So I was miffed that their R&D team must have decided to stick the finger up at people who ride in both the cold and the dark.

The other issue is the breath deflector, which comes out whenever I open the visor to scratch my nose. I've had to find a services off the motorway twice just to reposition the damn thing. Will have to glue it.

And the vents are basically useless whatever the online video reviews say. If you are less than 40mph average in town you can't tell if they are open or not.

So next time I'll save my money and buy from a cheaper competitor. No benefit to paying a premium apparently.

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:40 am

Gotta say I'm not blown away by my Gt Air either. Double D ring UK model,EU got the seat belt clip instead.

I have a replacement Bob Heath visor n original pinlock in/on my gt air and I ride at night and in the cold. I don't get misting or ghosting and can't remember getting any with std visor.

Nose piece never moved once firmly clicked into place. Liner comes out for a wash at the end of each summer,just like me.

Speaker recesses are too small for fitting Sena comfortably as far as my lugs are concerned.

Vents are poor at best and make the helmet almost as noisy as any other at speed.

It's a 7/10 helmet for me as I really expected it to be quieter (maybe it's the fairing - dunno).
I will continue to use it for a few more years though or until helmets from the realm of unicorns become available.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:33 am

I thought I was alone in my views on the GT-Air, in the end I've given mine to my mate (who loves his) for spares.

My issue is the ventilation, or lack of, which compared to other lids made me wonder if the chin vent was blocked. This meant I was unable to use it in cold weather as even the pinlock misted up too much or in the heat as I felt like I was suffocating. I never has the issue with the Pinlock (other than misting) and that sounds like a load of Bolx from Shoei - every other lid I've used with a pinlock works fine at night.

On a different subject I hear Schuberth use their own brand pinlock which is not as good as the original -  penny pinching on a £500 helmet!

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#4 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:10 am

I have one, too. It's comfortable and I love the color (yellow), but the pinlock visor doesn't work. The locking pins are adjustable but unable to keep the pinlock visor tightly connected to the visor all the way around. hence it doesn't keep the fog away. In fact, fog gets trapped inbetween the two layers and stays there. 

I'm thinking of modding the visor lock pins.

Bjørge

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:56 pm

Mmm that's another off my Arai replacement list.....

Is this a general problem with Shoei or just one model? I don't have any of these problems with my Arai or Schuberth before that.

Sounds like the guy at Shoei is making it up. Why should lack of daylight cause a problem for a pinlock insert?

#6 Rocketbike

Rocketbike

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:05 pm

Had a GT Air for ages and love it, and will be replacing it soon with another. I agree about the air vents being ineffective at low speed, and I had to stop using a pinlock because having to wear glasses now, with the sun visor I had too many things to look through. It was fine before that though, no worse than any other helmet I've had and great for stopping fogging.

#7 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:35 am

I have one, too. It's comfortable and I love the color (yellow), but the pinlock visor doesn't work. The locking pins are adjustable but unable to keep the pinlock visor tightly connected to the visor all the way around. hence it doesn't keep the fog away. In fact, fog gets trapped inbetween the two layers and stays there. 

I'm thinking of modding the visor lock pins.

I fixed it by pressing a small plastic pin in between visor and pin to tighten it. Has worked fine for a few months

Bjørge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users