#1 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:59 am

On the dubious subject of illegal  'flashing adidtional front lights'.... in the US bikers can add a headlight modulator which flashes high beam continuously when they're riding, and it is said to make a huge difference to their visibility. I wouldn't try to argue otherwise.

EG

Unfortunately the flashing highbeam will get us into trouble in Europe, and there is some eviodence to say that when the modulator is working it is difficult to see your indicators....

I made use of the brake light modulator last year on my last bike, by making a unit which flashed two bright red leds when the brakes were applied, 4 fast flashes, 4 slow flashes and then a steady fade routine.

Then I read about glimmering leds for the front. The science behind it says that a light is most noticeable when it flashes at between 15Hz-17Hz rate. When looked at directly the light virtually appears to be on cosntantly, but the frequency response of the eye in the peripheral zone is less than at the centre of the eye and so a flashing light in your periphery is quite attention grabbing and it makes you look in that direction.

I made a test unit on my last bike and flickered a pair of front facing white leds at a rate which stepped around in the 15Hz-18Hz range. I don't know if the leds were bright enough to be honest but they did grab your attention and then when you view them head on they don't appear to be flashing at all due to POV

EG

I like the idea of the 'alert' function - tap the brakes twice, quickly, and the front leds flash as an extra warning - could be handy when approaching a junction.

The background to this, is that I was knocked off twice in the space of 7 months , Oct 2015 and April 2016, on both occassions the drivers said they had no idea I was there.  I had been on a BikeSafe course in September 2014 and decided that my all black leather look probably could do with some enhancement in terms of visibility....so I had added the following

- Hi Viz jacket

- Bright front LEDs on the back of the mirrors

The first accident was settled with the insurance very quickly because they admitted full liability, The second case is ongoing due to a lack of witnesses, so the third party's insurance is pushing hard for 50/50 liability , despite the other driving admitting (at the scene in front of a constable) he was unaware there had even been an accident.

So I just wanted some opinion on ways to make yourself more visible, because as I've discovered if the other driver doesn't look in your direction they aren't going to see you at all. Perhaps some other accident was averted because of the measures I did take ? plenty of evidence suggests extra lighting  reduces accident rates, but some evidence suggests not EG Singaporean motorcycle accident rate changed only slightly after DRLs, daytime running lights,  became compulsory

There was also no real difference in accident rates between US states which had mandated DRLs and those which hadn't.

I feel there is a factor which is overlooked in this research, in that many of the areas where there is little effect, the average daytime brightness level is quite high. Here in Scotland, particularly at this time of year, even a small led is visible at a distance....not so in sunny parts of the world.

Interestingly both of the accidents I mentioned happened in good sunny conditions.....were my leds just not bright enough ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:55 am

Tried it for filtering on the 4TX- didn't make a difference for that. 

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:34 pm

Tried which ? Modulated or flickering, a steady beam or a flashing beam ?

The other thing I wonder about is a flashing light positioned on the helmet, because technically that isn't part of the vehicle which the construction and use regs apply to, so you could pretty much have what you wanted there.

But.....again...if someone isn't looking your way they still won't see you.....maybe when all's said and done, better observation of other drivers is going to provide more safety ?

#4 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:35 pm

A few years back my wife's niece's husband (think that's right!) who was a motorcycle cop was on a call with all lights, blue lights and siren going and was hit head on by a woman who "didn't see him" Sometimes is doesn't matter what you do!

Edited by chrisr, 15 January 2016 - 12:36 pm.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#5 Yammymammy

Yammymammy

Carpe Regular

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:51 pm

The other thing I wonder about is a flashing light positioned on the helmet, because technically that isn't part of the vehicle which the construction and use regs apply to, so you could pretty much have what you wanted there.

That is very true,Shark are currently marketing a helmet with green lights fitted called the Skwal. So I'm guessing lights on the crash helmet must be legal ?

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:54 pm

It's true that most vehicle accidents involving motorcycles are caused by the non-motorcycle.

Following accidents the motorcyclists held car drivers to blame 70% of the time. Official investigations and proper analysis found it was about 58%.

The bad accident to have is overtaking cars when there is a junction on the right....typically the driver coming out of that junction is only concerned with traffic approaching from his right so they glance right and pull out, not expecting someone to be on their carriageway.

I just wonder, looking back, as you do,  at my accidents what I could have done differently......probably not much, but perhaps if doctors could identify themselvs with a sticker in the back window it would be better ? Doctors and surgeons cause more accidents than any other profession, and of the top ten job types to cause accidents, healthcare workers are among eight of the ten !

That is very true,Shark are currently marketing a helmet with green lights fitted called the Skwal. So I'm guessing lights on the crash helmet must be legal ?

I almost bought one just before Christmas but ended up getting a bargain on a Shoei instead otherwise I would have tried it out

Healthcare worker accident stats...

http://www.telegraph...ague-table.html

What's interesting is that the insurance industry refer to these as stressful occupations.

http://www.hine.co.u...sh-league-table

I used to have to drive 50,000 miles per year, hitting very tight deadlines, with a job bonus scheme which depended on me travelling quickly, that was pretty stressful.....and like many mobile service engineers and other professional road users we could claim to be under stress when driving.

The joke goes, that they're trying to keep themselves in business

Edited by fixitsan, 15 January 2016 - 12:57 pm.

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:59 pm

A few years back my wife's niece's husband (think that's right!) who was a motorcycle cop was on a call with all lights, blue lights and siren going and was hit head on by a woman who "didn't see him" Sometimes is doesn't matter what you do!

Texting perhaps ?

#8 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:12 pm

Watching your video (above), I love the rear brake module, but don't like the headlight one...

The headlight in the video looked like it was flashing, and if glanced at by a driver pulling out of a road, I would worry could be regarded as an invitation to pull out.

But honestly, the brake light looks cool, and can only help. (Any advice on fitting?)

My bike came with SMIDSY x2 bullet LED'S on the rear that would do the same thing, but the shop had disconnected them. I reconnected them, but to the rear light instead of the brake light in error. This means they are twinkling all the time, like the headlight module. I've left them like that as people have said they stand out.

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:13 pm

This bike really is lit up like a Christmas tree !

(on Facebook) https://www.facebook...06151922879400/

Edited by fixitsan, 15 January 2016 - 01:14 pm.

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:19 pm

Watching your video (above), I love the rear brake module, but don't like the headlight one...

The headlight in the video looked like it was flashing, and if glanced at by a driver pulling out of a road, I would worry could be regarded as an invitation to pull out.

But honestly, the brake light looks cool, and can only help. (Any advice on fitting?)

My bike came with SMIDSY x2 bullet LED'S on the rear that would do the same thing, but the shop had disconnected them. I reconnected them, but to the rear light instead of the brake light in error. This means they are twinkling all the time, like the headlight module. I've left them like that as people have said they stand out.

Yes the flashing effect is OTT (IMHO) and for the same reason as you i wouldn't recommend it. The flickering/twinkling lights are different and I don't think you could confuse that with flashing, especially if you look straight at them when they don't actually appear to be twinkling.

As for the brakelight modulator/flasher They are very noticeable. I made my own (software programmer) but there are a lot of readily available models to buy too. A great feature to have is one which doesn't reactivate the flash sequence within 5 seconds, especially useful when filtering when other drivers might complain.

Oddly the rear end shunt stats seem to show the opposite of what you might think. motorcyclists are more likely to be shunted at night, when their rear lights are very visible, but during the day they're more likely to be the ones doing the shunting. So I guess extra lighting at night, at the rear would be a useful thing to have

Edited by fixitsan, 15 January 2016 - 01:20 pm.

#11 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:49 pm

ooops

Tried which ? Modulated or flickering, a steady beam or a flashing beam ?

But.....again...if someone isn't looking your way they still won't see you.....maybe when all's said and done, better observation of other drivers is going to provide more safety ?

Modulation - hi beam only - off/on not as rapidly as in the vid.

Naughtily? combined with a steady blue light - made no discernible difference - still squeezed by some and yielded to by others.

Edited by Favs, 15 January 2016 - 01:50 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#12 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:29 pm

Interestingly both of the accidents I mentioned happened in good sunny conditions.....were my leds just not bright enough ?

I tend not to be too interested in the visibility - that is, the "rely on being seen" - strategy. I (intend to, at least) drive as if I'm invisible until I see indications on actually being spotted. 

One problem with the modulators is the "universal argument": What would happen if all drivers used them ? What then about kids, dogs or a damaged car ?

Bjørge

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:50 pm

Modulation - hi beam only - off/on not as rapidly as in the vid.

Naughtily? combined with a steady blue light - made no discernible difference - still squeezed by some and yielded to by others.

Thanks for your thoughts. Pretty much confirming it's the car drivers......too distracted/lazy/have npowhere to go so don't think of moving out of the way for others

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:57 pm

I tend not to be too interested in the visibility - that is, the "rely on being seen" - strategy. I (intend to, at least) drive as if I'm invisible until I see indications on actually being spotted. 

One problem with the modulators is the "universal argument": What would happen if all drivers used them ? What then about kids, dogs or a damaged car ?

It's a good question isn't it.

i find I can be driving along and in the distance there's a wildly flashing white light.....when I reach that area i find it's a cyclist. If there were 10 cyclists would I ignore any of them ? I don't know that I would.

If every vehicle had them would I become immune to them ? Possibly, but I like to think I wouldn't

I'm tending to feel that your way of thinking (which I've never abandoned) that you should assume you're invisible until seen, is always the better way.

When i was a despatch rider I admit my riding wasn't the most courteous and I would filter in any gap I could find, but, I would always be looking in the mirrors of the vehicle I was going to have to squeeze behind, looking at what the driver was doing, all the time, and never had an accident. (and to my knowledge there wasn't caranage behind me). Looking back that approach of 'complete concentration' allowed me to push on through traffic and every car driver would have been thinking 'look at that idiot', them not being fully aware of the fact that you even knew they would think that before you made your pass ;)

#15 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:24 pm

brake light yes, head lights no, up here in the north east of scotland if the drivers saw a flashing front light they would pull out

#16 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:54 pm

Got one of these on my blackbird, been fitted 5 years now good stuff

http://smidsy.eu/fgbf1

it really gets you noticed when you brake   :good:

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:18 pm

brake light yes, head lights no, up here in the north east of scotland if the drivers saw a flashing front light they would pull out

And probably everywhere else mate.

Odd how that part of the highway code is never followed, or maybe not

The flash of the headlight is supposed to warn vehicles who might be out of earshot of your presences, but we know that nobody except some Europeans use it correctly.....

Was just thinking of a very low profile very bright strobe mounted on the helmet or top of the screen....so that when it's actuated by a push switch, or maybe a double tap of the brake pedal, or even a quick blip of the horn, it flashes intensely at , say, 6 times per second.......... Of course it's also going to get people's attention, who might then be tempted to drive into you to see what the light is for !

Edited by fixitsan, 15 January 2016 - 05:20 pm.

#18 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:35 pm

Got one of these on my blackbird, been fitted 5 years now good stuff

http://smidsy.eu/fgbf1

it really gets you noticed when you brake   :good:

Not sure what the MOT man would make of this but I like that. :good:  Gonna have a word with man bro-in-law. (tester).

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#19 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:46 pm

I put honda plugs on mine, so I just unplug it for the mot,

must say in the 5 years I've had nothing but positive comments, 

never been pulled even whe been followed by plod,

wouldn't pass a mot with it on, as it should be solid as per manufacturer, but secondary brake lights can apparently flash, 

some of the newer mercs have flashing brake lights Ive been told?

don't know weather you read this bit catte

"When you apply the brakes, the brake light will flash rapidly for 2 seconds and then go on steady. 

Re-applying the brakes within 8 seconds of release and the brake light will go on steady.  This is to avoid distracting the driver behind in stop/go traffic."

mines the std one can be used on Std bulb or LED, as I had std bulb when I bought it,

could do with 2 x LED ones as both bikes now got them fitted

may even think about one for the TDM now  :rotflmmfao: 

#20 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:56 pm

Cheers Ramo, think I could be ordering in a bit.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users