9 replies to this topic

#1 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:52 pm

After our previous excursion to the race track at Folembray for a RECE-training (stands for Riding Experience through Track Experience) with M&T Aktief in April we were eager to follow-up with a genuine track training. So we enrolled for the RACE-training with the same riding school. This time we would be eploring the race track at Croix-en-ternois. So if you are interested in reading how the TDM handles on the track or you simply haven't got anything better to do, read on. If not, clear off tongue.gif

First things first though. Opportunists as we are we always let the government pay for our "advanced riding techniques trainings" (they help improve safety on the road. They do... Honestly...), so we ordered some "training cheques" from the Flemish government which pay for 50% of the fee. The second thing on the agenda was to find a place to spend the night so we could sleep in instead of having to get up at 5AM, ride the bikes to Croix and do the return trip the same evening. That would simply get me killed. Through a friend we got into contact with a nice English couple that ran a B&B at 3km of the track. A phone call and a confirmation email later we at least had the chance to arrive at the track with a fresh mind and a rested body.

The track day is on Monday, so Saturday we start with giving the bikes a good clean, which is always a good opportunity to give 'm the once over: chain, brakes, oil level, ... I pay special attention in degreasing the part of the frame above the foot pegs as the paint there is very thin and after 50.000km has now almost completely disappeared in the area where my ankles rest against the frame. Nothing a very cool carbon-look sticker can't fix. pimp.gif

We leave Sunday morning at 10AM for a relaxed ride on Belgian B-roads and French Departemantales. After a quick motorway blast to get us passed Brussels we dive into the region called "the Flemish Ardennes". Do not be fooled, it has nothing to do with the real Ardennes. The hills are more bumps than hills, but the scenery is nice and so are the roads. The tyres eat the kilometres quite well and we make a stop at Tournai for an early lunch on the lovely square in the historic centre of the town. The rest of the journey is nice but uneventful.
It is 3:30PM when we arrive at Croix and since we had told Sue and Paul of Les Ballastičres that we would only be arriving between 5 and 6 this gives us the time to go and have a look at the track already. We pull up and the first thing I notice is that this race track is of an entirely different category that the track at Folembray. It is longer, more technical and actually has some serious left-handers as well. Compared to Folembray the overview in the corners is far less. This looks like a serious challenge and the number of cars that goes off in the first few minutes we are watching confirms that the track is far from easy.
We hang around for a while, check out the other bikes that are parked near the track and start looking for the B&B.

After a few circles around the village and with the assistance of a helpful frog we ride the motorcycles into the centre court of the old "Square Farm". I haven't even removed my helmet and Sue and Paul are already out to greet us. The welcome is warm and cheerful and while I take the luggage of the bike I have a look around at the buildings. The old stables clearly still need some attention but main building has been done up very nicely. The bikes are parked inside one of the old stables and there is also a corner with all the stuff one would need to service the bike. The 2 Harleys in the shed further show the passion for biking these two people share.
Before anything else we take a refreshing shower and afterwards we get a fresh beer and a tour of the facilities. Sue shows us the dormitory (a.k.a. the indoor camping site), the communal showers and the toilets. All brand new and finished to a high standard (for only 15€/night). Anyway, long story short, we will definitely be coming back on our next visit to Croix.

I already hear you complaining, "start bloody telling us about how the TDM handles itself on the track". Ok, ok, just a little more patience. We get up around 7 the next morning and go down for a quick breakfast. After the croissants and the coffee Sue hands us our packed lunch and we're off. Not to the track but first towards the gas station at the Intermarché to make sure we can get through the day. After filling up we can finally make our way towards the race track. We arrive dressed as proper power rangers, back protector and all. Only the knee sliders are missing to make the picture complete rolleyes.gif

Some familiar faces welcome us warmly and after the hellos we get the paperwork out of the way and find ourselves some seats for the briefing. The RACE-group is nice and small, about 12 riders in all. That's 6 for each instructor! The first briefing takes us through all the bends in the circuit and lays out the ideal riding lines. We have some time after the briefing so we decide to go and have a look at how the free riders are doing. We haven't even arrived at the fence and we already hear that the first riders have gone off. The track was still very wet from the nightly showers and some guy on a GSXR lost his front when braking too hard at the end of the straight. Took a lovely RSV Mille with him as well... ranting.gif

After the incident and with the track so wet our first session is kind of hesitatingly safe, but that provides some more time to get to know the track better. For the rest of the AM sessions the weather stays as dreary and we are treated to some serious showers as well. So the rest of our exercises (riding lines, one gear-no brake, riding position) are still at a quite moderate pace. Especially the one gear as the water was streaming over the track at that time. The TDM does handle itself well but the true test wouldn't come until after lunch. A lot of the riders already pack up and leave at noon because of the weather, but boy were they wrong. The afternoon was perfectly dry and provided excellent riding conditions. We did our afternoon free riding sessions with 10 bikes so basically we had the track to ourselves. Which proved to be a great advantage as we had an instructor to ride a couple of rounds in front and behind us every session for some very personal feedback. During the first sessions there are still quite some remarks about riding position and riding lines. Apparently I didn't have the "monkey-hanging-of-the-bike"-technique quite down yet rolleyes.gif

It was starting to become necessary though as the TDM was more and more reminding me of the lack of ground clearance. But all in all it handled very well and show absolutely no problem keeping up with the true power ranger bikes in the corners. The straight was a whole different story though rotflmmfao.gif
Sofie was flooring it pretty hard as well on the FZ6 so there was no way I was keeping up in the straight and even in the corners I had a hard time catching up. It usually took me the entire round to get near again blink.gif

But after 2 sessions on a dry track the confidence was building and the technique was improving vastly. Peronally I felt it was all going quite well, but I really had no idea how well that was actually. But after coming in to the pits the instructor that had been overloading me with remarks during the day gave me a big grin and a big thumbs up yahoo.gif Both the lines and the riding position were excellent, early on the throttle and I would have to get me some knee sliders for next time as I would definitely be needing them... Yeah right, like a proper power ranger on the TDM rolleyes.gif

The TDM's front suspension wasn't bothering me as much anymore as it was on Folembray. Perhaps I am getting used to it but probably I also just dove into the first corner after the straight a little smoother on Croix. Excellent little circuit by the way!

Anyway, there is no reason why the TDM wouldn't be suited for the track, except than that it is my only bike, in fact my only motorized vehicle so I kind of really don't want to go off as I need it to get home. So Sofie and I are thinking about getting a cheap third bike for track use, something light and easy to maintain, like a SV650, Hornet, Thundercat or even a CBR600F. In any case we will be going back to Croix at the end of August for another RACE-training. banana.gif

Enough of my ramblings, I'm off to bed now. Nothing to see here, carry on...
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#2 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:22 pm

Nice one. How much does the RECE and RACE training cost?

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Sofie and I are thinking about getting a cheap third bike for track use, something light and easy to maintain, like a SV650, Hornet, Thundercat or even a CBR600F

Why not a TRX ? cool.gif

Stu

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:13 am

ya a great read DK, now anymore pics of Sofie ? smile.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:51 am

QUOTE(stu @ Wed 4th Jul 2007, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice one. How much does the RECE and RACE training cost?
Why not a TRX ? cool.gif

I had a look at some second hand TRX's, but they are harder to find than SV's and usually more expensive as well. I can get a decent SV for 2000-2500€ whereas the TRX's in good nick that I found all go for over 3000€.
If the price were right a TRX would definitely be high on the list though good.gif

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Wed 4th Jul 2007, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya a great read DK, now anymore pics of Sofie ? smile.gif

sorry Wick, no more pics since Folembray. The M&T Aktief photographer wasn't shooting in the AM because of the bad weather and in the afternoon he was riding himself.
Perhaps some better luck when we go back the 27th of August yahoo.gif
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:55 am

by an SV1000 with some open race pipes DK !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:19 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Wed 4th Jul 2007, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
by an SV1000 with some open race pipes DK !

open pipes are not an option as Folembray and Zolder are extremely strict on the noise levels... ranting.gif

a 1000 would be nice, but I don't really need the power, I just want the fun. And 650 fun simply comes cheaper rolleyes.gif
Except for the long straight the TDM never felt underpowered, the corner speed was just as high as the litre Aprilia and other racers were doing.
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#7 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:59 am

Interesting read DK.

#8 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:33 pm

i picked up a nice TRX for 1000 pounds(gah wheres the pound sign on this foriegn keyboard)

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#9 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:23 pm

well, I 've gone and done it...

Got meself a 2001 SV650. Took it out for a spin yesterday and was well pleased with it. Front suspension is not all that, but let's face it, neither is the TDM's in standard trim.
Will be giving her a good workout at Croix next month and then decide if it needs an upgrade...

So, here she is:

Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#10 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:50 pm

for all the info you are ever likely to require try http://forums.sv650.org

i used to have the fi version the k3 good.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users