#21 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:58 pm

QUOTE(petekelly7 @ Fri 24th Jul 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As some people may be aware I am great fan of IoM both because of TT and also the place itself.

I would be happy to help arrangements where possible if people are interested in this approach

Pete

Do you get many Dutch there? rotflmmfao.gif

More seriously I'm not against IOM, in fact it's certainly one place I've meant to visit and have yet to, but I really wonder if there'll end up being much cost difference at all compared to Europe.

Though it's clearly not only valid as a cheaper option.
'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#22 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:34 pm

IoM is certainly of interest. Don't favour the 'two-centre' UK option from this side of the Irish sea, it escalates costs since I still have to get another ferry home.

Portugal is a looong way from here, (Dordogne was two days' travelling each way - even MarkyMark couldn't do Portugal in one go).

Stu

#23 Guest_Paddy900_*

Guest_Paddy900_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:52 pm

QUOTE(stu @ Fri 24th Jul 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Portugal is a looong way from here, even MarkyMark couldn't do Portugal in one go).

Are you giving him a challenge ?????

#24 Kang

Kang

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:58 pm

Would love to go on my first RTT angel.gif The closure the better. unsure.gif
Myself I think Scotland would suit, not to far of a ferry for the Irish lads (myself included) and a fair spin for the lads from the UK.
Would be great trip before the big trip blink.gif i have only found out about from reading this tread.
It takes Two to Lie Marge, One to Lie and One to Listen

#25 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:08 am

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Thu 23rd Jul 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isle of Man good.gif

I think somewhere a bit closer to home would have more people there.

Dont forget GTG 2011 will be over the channel.

IOM Gets my vote
good.gif good.gif good.gif

Always wanted to go there.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#26 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:17 am

QUOTE(poldark @ Fri 24th Jul 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More seriously I'm not against IOM, in fact it's certainly one place I've meant to visit and have yet to,

me too good.gif

theres atleast a couple of TRX owners on IOM, could maybe contact them and see if they'd be willing to get involved
also a good mate of mine worked there for a bit and a few of his friends are in a reasonably famous band over there....and they owe me a favour

QUOTE(stu @ Fri 24th Jul 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Portugal is a looong way from here, (Dordogne was two days' travelling each way - even MarkyMark couldn't do Portugal in one go).

if you go into Santander Portugal is 1 days ride wink.gif

according to my mum (who has holiday'd there a few times) the IOM is generally cheaper than UK by 10%
...and dont touch the cats? unsure.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#27 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:01 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Sat 25th Jul 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
me too good.gif

theres atleast a couple of TRX owners on IOM, could maybe contact them and see if they'd be willing to get involved
also a good mate of mine worked there for a bit and a few of his friends are in a reasonably famous band over there....and they owe me a favour

according to my mum (who has holiday'd there a few times) the IOM is generally cheaper than UK by 10%

Reply from Steam Packet Co., which doesn't really get us further on possible ferry costs (see below), though there is a list of price bandings online that suggest prices from Liverpool could be Ł100-150, but maybe wrong on that.

Thank you for your query,

Prices for 2010 will not be available until late October/early November. We do not offer group discounts but would advise to book as far in advance as possible to avail of the cheapest fares. If you contact me again in November with travel dates and the amount of bikes and people travelling I should be able to give you a quote then.

Kind regards

Anya Quiggin
Passenger Services Officer
Isle of Man Steam Packet Company
Imperial Builidings
Douglas
Isle of Man
IM1 2BY

Tel: +44 (0) 1624 645695
Fax: +44 (0) 1624 645608

Personally I'd prefer to know ferry costs before deciding between IOM and other options, can we wait till Nov though?
'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#28 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:03 pm

.... after the 19 - 26 hour ferry crossing wink.gif

I have a map, I know where Portugal is. blush.gif tongue.gif

Stu

#29 stormy

stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • 1,637 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:35 pm

QUOTE(stu @ Sat 25th Jul 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.... after the 19 - 26 hour ferry crossing wink.gif
I have a map, I know where Portugal is. blush.gif tongue.gif

Just done it recently ....

Ferry leaves at 16:00 in the afternoon, arrives 11:00 next morning, no longer a long and boring trip, tis like a cruise liner.

By the time you've got on board, had a shower and got out yer bike clothes, had a meal and a beer or three, time fer bed, wake up, have brekky, you're there.

mike
RIP STORMY - killed by careless driver Oct 2009

currently owned ....
1996 YAMAHA TRX850 gone away for little holiday with Andrea
1997 YAMAHA TDM850 which are obviously an acquired taste. I fink I'm starting to get it now.....
1998 DUCATI 748 ... one way of keeping an old man broke.
1999 YAMAHA Thunderace there is STILL no finer motorcycle
2008 SUZUKI Bandit 1250SA ...... fecked by yours truly, but ......... still fitted with the worlds most uncomfortable bike seat. ouch!

#30 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:43 am

I think UK is a good idea for 2010 and either the IOM or Scotland would be OK with me. Agree with TD on excluding Wales, not so much the cages, although it would be better without them, but certainly the unreasonableness of Brunstrom and his henchmen.
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#31 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:00 pm

Can heartily reccomend the west coast and highlands of Scotland. Been there for a week every year for about 6 years now and can still find new, absolutely stunning roads and scenery (for the ladies rolleyes.gif ). Its a cracking place and plenty of bunkhouses etc around Callander, Fort William and further North.

Matt

#32 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:48 pm

I had a great time riding around the West coast of Scotland and the weather was great. Good friendly people who appeared happy to see us. The roads were realy devoid of the normal car traffick we get in the Midlands and the scenery was stunning. We even managed to get a couple of days around the lakes as well. Top trip with two CARPE tour guides from the area to show us around the best sites.

#33 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:20 pm

me too good.gif

Oy. ohmy.gif

#34 Chris

Chris

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:45 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Mon 27th Jul 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oy. ohmy.gif

Meow

You want to be touched???

Woof

#35 Oigres

Oigres

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:54 pm

Hi,

I extend the invitation made last year to semi organize the things down here in Portugal.

Say what you expect and iŽll try sort things out.

Made advertisement than last year. Beer sun and fun. Great open roads or twisties. You name it you Žll get it laugh.gif .

Behave

Oigres
Black MK1, 40k, CenterStand, Mushrooms, Alarm, Givi TopBox and Givi semihard bags on the side, leather tank cover, Lidl magnetic tank bag, Renthal 755 handlebar, hand guards (flucked when dropped), taller screen.

#36 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:56 pm

thanks Oigres good.gif

i think its time for a poll wink.gif

Portugal - not had an RTT there before, good weather, cheaper and local organiser, but more expensive to get there

Isle Of Mann - not had an RTT there before, good roads&no speed limits, central location for those in UK & Ireland, cheaper than mainland, but cost of ferry

Yorkshire/Derbyshire - central location and local organisers, not had an RTT there before, but RTT06 was close in Lake District, good roads but traffic?

Scottish Highlands - central location and many local organisers available, but we already have a yearly meet in Scotland (although normally further south), good roads but not as central as others and weather can be 'changeable'

place your votes at the top of this topic

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#37 stormy

stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • 1,637 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:47 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Thu 23rd Jul 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
only suggestion so far has been Portugal
any TDMer got any other suggestions or want to offer to organise it?
EDIT : adding poll with locations 2009-07-28
Portugal - not had an RTT there before, good weather, cheaper and local organiser, but more expensive to get there

Tony,

I thought that I had offered up the suggestion of the Black Forest for a possible location? or was that for something else?

What about the North Brittany area, just over the water far enough to be "a trip" close enough not to be hugely expensive.

mike
RIP STORMY - killed by careless driver Oct 2009

currently owned ....
1996 YAMAHA TRX850 gone away for little holiday with Andrea
1997 YAMAHA TDM850 which are obviously an acquired taste. I fink I'm starting to get it now.....
1998 DUCATI 748 ... one way of keeping an old man broke.
1999 YAMAHA Thunderace there is STILL no finer motorcycle
2008 SUZUKI Bandit 1250SA ...... fecked by yours truly, but ......... still fitted with the worlds most uncomfortable bike seat. ouch!

#38 Guest_Paddy900_*

Guest_Paddy900_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:54 pm

QUOTE(stormy @ Tue 28th Jul 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about the North Brittany area, just over the water far enough to be "a trip" close enough not to be hugely expensive.

mike

Its costly when coming from Ireland Mike,

We have 2 choices,

Direct from Ireland or landbridge,

Both of these are expensive.

#39 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:31 pm

No fair - Isle of Man's bound to win cos it's got 3 legs unsure.gif

Which reminds me of that old 3-legged chicken joke..... laugh.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#40 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:44 pm

QUOTE(stormy @ Tue 28th Jul 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tony,

I thought that I had offered up the suggestion of the Black Forest for a possible location? or was that for something else?

mike

you did Mike and its appreciated, but avoiding duplicaiton....

RTT07 was in Germany(Rhineland) and RTT11 will most likely be back there again in the South West.
RTT09 was France(Dordogne), i know it was a different region from Brittany however its a another long trip for the Irish and a number of use toured back thru that area on the way back from Dordogne

Portugal is also quite a way and a bit of a wild card suggestion, but that was raised as a possible destination at a number of previous years

My TDM :

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users