• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Phracker

Phracker

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:11 pm

Stripping down my 92 850 3VD and stuck on trying to free the bolt holding the rotor on. It should break free at 100 ft/lbs, but the thing is making me nervous.

Shop manual says nothing about it being a LH thread, but better to ask then do damage.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:09 pm

Normal thread. An excellent fitting bit and a little heat. Good luck!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:52 am

As I recall, when I replaced my front rotors I had to use vise grips on a couple of them to get them started.  That was after spraying them liberally with penetrating oil.  I was replacing the bolts anyway, so I didn't mind buggering them up.  Grabbing them around the circumference with vise grips gave me the extra torque I needed to brake them free.  I good tap with a hammer may help too, provided you can do it without bending anything,

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:05 am

You merkins with yer rotor talk, very confuzing. :lol:  Think Phracker is talking alternator rotor bolt.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:22 am

Ahhh mix a ma rotors

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:17 pm

Ahhh mix a ma rotors

That's what makes rabbits grow 3 eyes innit!

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#7 Phracker

Phracker

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:09 pm

As I recall, when I replaced my front rotors I had to use vise grips on a couple of them to get them started.  That was after spraying them liberally with penetrating oil.  I was replacing the bolts anyway, so I didn't mind buggering them up.  Grabbing them around the circumference with vise grips gave me the extra torque I needed to brake them free.  I good tap with a hammer may help too, provided you can do it without bending anything,

I apologize, this is the stator rotor bolt that holds it onto the crank.

It was fun to google because all I was seeing was brake parts.

Will take a crack at it this weekend.

#8 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:00 am

It would help if you Brits would learn to speak English!  That goes for Canadians too!

#9 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:51 am

It would help if you Brits would learn to speak English!  That goes for Canadians too!

That's rich coming from that side of the pond considering what you did to the proper English language. :hide:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#10 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:11 am

You dont say why you are srtipping your engine so if this helps I undid my rotor bolt but could not get the rotor itself off so I left it on split the cases (MK2) and took it down to my freindly garage to pull off for me so If you are stuck leave it on and get a garage or even a tyre fitter to undo the bolt with their air rachet hammer thingy but if you cant then get the rotor off you will need a garage.

If you ar not doing anything with the crank or rotor leave it alone,no need to take it off

#11 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:26 pm

That's rich coming from that side of the pond considering what you did to the proper English language. :hide:

tire??

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:29 pm

You dont say why you are srtipping your engine so if this helps I undid my rotor bolt but could not get the rotor itself off so I left it on split the cases (MK2) and took it down to my freindly garage to pull off for me so If you are stuck leave it on and get a garage or even a tyre fitter to undo the bolt with their air rachet hammer thingy but if you cant then get the rotor off you will need a garage.

If you ar not doing anything with the crank or rotor leave it alone,no need to take it off

I did the same, my puller couldn't hack it. The puller at the garage bent and cracked but eventually came off. It cost them more for the replacement puller than the £15 I paid !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:18 pm

The bolt is the easy bit, once thats oot the way a puller will get it off but you may poo yer pants when it finally gives in as they often make one helluva bang.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:45 pm

I apologize, this is the stator rotor bolt that holds it onto the crank.

The stator is the collection of windings inside the cover and the rotor is the part with the magnets. The stator is stationary and the rotor rotates (just following the speekin propah inglish theme)

Cockford Olly ;)

#15 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:03 pm

I did the same, my puller couldn't hack it. The puller at the garage bent and cracked but eventually came off. It cost them more for the replacement puller than the £15 I paid !

Mine cost me a pack of sausages----we do are own pork :badgerrock:

#16 Phracker

Phracker

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:13 pm

The stator is the collection of windings inside the cover and the rotor is the part with the magnets. The stator is stationary and the rotor rotates (just following the speekin propah inglish theme)

Cockford Olly ;)

Yeah, it was a haste reply. Should have been a touch more clear on my description.

Not a bad idea at all to work around it. If I can, then that saves me the grief of trying to pull the bloody thing off.

Basically, motor got pulled after a pile of issues started to stack up.

1) Valve seals leaking since the day I bought it (8+ years ago and 50,000km)

2) Output shaft threads are done. Last guy (Always their fault really) wasn’t kind to the bike and I think the nut spun off once on him. I got lucky on the first sprocket change, but chased the threads with a die I had and used a little blue threadlock. 2nd time I switched it out I got that 6th sense that the threads were stripping at 20ft/lbs when torqueing up. I spun it off and put on a thin layer of JB weld epoxy and then snugged it up as best I could.

*Bought a spare 3 years back and have just been waiting for the right time to swap it.

3) 3rd gear has lost the will to do any work. Can gingerly get it to shift, but will pop out if under high load or I rev over 3000. Not sure what I will do here, first I need to see what is causing the issue.

Also have found some other concerns, but I will wait and see what the state of the engine is first and work backwards.

Bottom line is I need to get into the transmission to swap the output shaft and troubleshoot the 3rd gear issue.

Hey now, let's just get a pint and try to find a sport we can all quietly watch on the telly. Maybe get lucky and split a plate of food.

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:39 pm

Yeah, it was a haste reply. Should have been a touch more clear on my description.

Not a bad idea at all to work around it. If I can, then that saves me the grief of trying to pull the bloody thing off.

There was one rotor I couldn't get off the crankshaft and took the risk of rebuilding with the rotor still attached to the crank out of the engine cases, which had to be split anyway. I took the chance with the crankcase oil seal behind the rotor, that I would be able to get it to reseat in the cases without it leaking. I think the 850 crank oil seal is in two halves, seated in the cases, so if that's the case you should be fine to leave the rotor on the crank.

When it comes to setting everything back up, from memory you need to use the crank/rotor slotted keyway as a reference mark to position the crank in roughly the correct alignment with the other rotating parts, but it will all become obvious as you dismantle it.

#18 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:59 pm

The bolt is the easy bit, once thats oot the way a puller will get it off but you may poo yer pants when it finally gives in as they often make one helluva bang.

Daps what's prefered type of puller to get the rotor off ! 3 legged variety (ya know how long) or a puller wot fits in the rotor bolt hole ?

Might be a job on :huh:

Edited by dablik, 12 April 2019 - 04:00 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#19 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:23 pm

Tree legged but watch yer hands fizzog and any other of your handsome bits and wear some old unwanted shreddies cous there is a sudden and dramatic kaabooom when they finally go.

Summat through the rotor might be more elegant if you can get it to work.

I bought a harmonic balancer remover recently and wondered if that might be a useful remover of rotors.

#20 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:51 pm

Yep just been looking at the Harmonic balancer/puller thingy which might be a good solution, but needs to be long enough across the rotor, any idea of the width if ya grey cells can remember, mind aint you got one with a shrub innit in the garden :)

Might ask me friendly mechanic if he fancies wuppitin it off maybe..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users