muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:33 pm

And it's a...Honda

Seriously though, this is what the TDM ought to have become or what the S10 should be. It has the 270 crank and at 208kg dry, it's not that much heavier that the TDM, so nice and manageable. And with 93 HP and 72 lb of torque, has a nice increase in grunt. I think it looks cracking, but then I thought the old Africa Twin was a great looking bike. Now if Honda have only got the thing to be a lot more frugal than the old AT, this bike will be a winner. 

http://www.visordown...aked/27975.html

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#2 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:58 pm

even sounds like a tdm at the end

#3 jmac

jmac

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:17 pm

Great looking bike. I was considering upgrading my faithful super comfortable TDM900 for an MT09 Tracer, which was a natural progression, but now might wait until the new Africa Twin is launched. Decisions, decisions.

Growing old disgracefully, as life is too short to wonder "What if"

Riding a motorcycle on a fine sunny day is the most fun you can have with your pants on  :)

Previous dualsport bikes : Honda Transalp 650, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, BMW F800GS, Suzuki DR650 x2

#4 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:55 am

Nope ...

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:07 am

Anyone told Markymark  :yeyeye:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 159 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:28 am

That Honda looks like my type of bike!!!
Any news on price?? Guessing £12k, as ya can get a fully kitted V-Strom fa £10k, n dont think Honda 'll need to discount the Africa Twin.
Great looking/sounding bike (needs to lose the giant silencer even tho I'm sure it'll be a trick bit of kit fa latest emission regs)

#7 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:40 am

It's a Honda though - have you seen the shite quality they're turning out lately ?

I think they're the worst of the Japanese makes these days

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#8 CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:55 am

It's a Honda though - have you seen the shite quality they're turning out lately ?
I think they're the worst of the Japanese makes these days

#9 CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:02 am

Not kept up with new bikes lately, apart from drooling over a Grisso/Stelvio at Thirsk!!!!
Didn't realise Honda had dropped their standards.
Anyone else go along with this view??
Last new bikes I looked seriously at was the (then new models) MT09 and the V-Strom 12-18mnth ago

#10 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:02 pm

I think Honda will have pulled the stops out on this bike. If they replace a legend with a lemon it will murder them. I have often been amazed at Honda's attention to detail in design and build quality, only manufacturer I have seen that has cast cable routing channels into the engine. I expect no less of the AT. And they are entering the fray in arguably the hottest bike segment at the mo. I can't imagine it being a bad bike but better than the competition? We shall see.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#11 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:37 pm

I can't see what that bike has in common with a TDM?

To me the africa twin is a proper "off road bike", the TDM at best was a good "touring" bike.

The old XTZ750 or the new Super tenere are more or less on same league as off road capable bikes.

One huge advantage of the Honda over all the others, is that double clutch, that feature alone put that bike on a different league

Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#12 ric

ric

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 190 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:10 pm

Has anybody else got evidence of poor Honda quality?  My experience has been the complete opposite but that some long time ago.

#13 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:33 pm

Looks very good in white w. gold rims. Specs are good but the 95 hp is a bit low given the 990 Adv S launched 10 yrs ago in had 113 hp. Not that 95 isn't good enough. And why tubed tires? Doesn't most modern spoked adv. wheels have spokes that doesn't need holes through the rim?

Edited by and30ers, 27 July 2015 - 07:43 pm.

#14 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:58 pm

Looks very good in white w. gold rims. Specs are good but the 95 hp is a bit low given the 990 Adv S launched 10 yrs ago in had 113 hp. Not that 95 isn't good enough. And why tubed tires? Doesn't most modern spoked adv. wheels have spokes that doesn't need holes through the rim?

This was mentioned on another forum. One reply was "have you ever tried to fix a tubeless tire on the trail?" Could be a sign of the bikes true intent.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#15 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:25 am

This was mentioned on another forum. One reply was "have you ever tried to fix a tubeless tire on the trail?" Could be a sign of the bikes true intent.

Exactly. They haven't minced their words or concepts, they call it the Africa Twin and have done a major upgrade without compromising on it's function, but by refining it by building on it's strengths and improving the weaknesses. For that they deserve a big thumbs up. I just hope they've been smart enough to make it frugal, because that would really challenge KTM. Now Yamaha would do well to keep a close eye on sales, because I reckon this is going to do very well.  Strange how Honda decided on a 270 parallel rather than a V though innit. No similarities there :huh:

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#16 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:52 am

You can always fit tubes if you want for your trail/offroad tires, right? But the AfricaTwin comes std w. Dunlop TrailSmart TL/TT tires so my question is if and why Honda does or does not offer "support" for tubeless operation with their rims ???

From 1190 Adventure R marketing:

"TUBELESS SPOKED WHEELS
Wire-spoked wheels for tubeless tires featuring airtight rim beds patented by KTM - appropriately for the offroad aspirations of the Adventure R in 21" and 18" diameters. The rims on the 1190 Adventure R combine all the benefits of a tubeless tire (easy fitting and dynamic advantages due to no inner tube) with the stability and robustness of a wire-spoked wheel. This set-up makes the Adventure R's rims substantially more resilient than all the competition's cast and spoked wheels an added bonus, especially in hard offroad riding."

#17 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:33 am

Hmmmm. We shall see. Wonder if it's got rim locks....

#18 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:21 pm

The more I see of it, the more I like it. 

#19 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:54 pm

I did not want to admit it, but, I totally agree.

#20 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:12 pm

Don't tell anyone, I love it too .... The reviews back it up as well.

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users