Photo
- - - - -

Scotland Independance Carpe Poll

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Poll: Scotland Independance poll open to everyone on Carpe

Do you want Scotland to be an Independant country ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:21 pm

Rather than the closed vote restricted to the Scots only.

Afterall I can not remember being asked if I wanted to let it go !!!

I thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone thought on Carpe the world over.

Just for fun.

Cheers, Ivan

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#2 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:04 pm

I can do without the hassle of different money and border check points. ....I seem to spend half my life up there and have done for the last 25 years or so. .... even lived in Edinburgh for a while. .. it's like a second home.... independence is just bad for us all as a community.
I'm not the messiah, I'm a very naughty boy!

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:08 pm

RBS £1 now only 19/6

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:28 pm

If the yes vote wins, will Nanook be deported?

#5 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:10 pm

I can do without the hassle of different money and border check points. ....I seem to spend half my life up there and have done for the last 25 years or so. .... even lived in Edinburgh for a while. .. it's like a second home.... independence is just bad for us all as a community.

Utter pish on both counts. There will be no borders and the Scots pound was established in the 12 Century - the currency WILL be the pound if independence happens

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#6 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:33 pm

It might be us putting the border up........ !

Checking lorries for stow-away deep fried pork pies and mars bars. :punishment:  

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#7 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:57 pm

Who cares who wins! :)

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#8 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:59 pm

Utter pish on both counts. There will be no borders and the Scots pound was established in the 12 Century - the currency WILL be the pound if independence happens

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here...I mean, between almost all other independent countries there's border controls, otherwise what's to stop illegals entering Scotland an then walking straight into England?, an' as for the pound, sure, Scotland would have a pound, and I'm no expert but before the Irish joined the euro they had their own currency didn't they?,... so why would Scotland be any different?

#9 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:03 am

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here...I mean, between almost all other independent countries there's border controls, otherwise what's to stop illegals entering Scotland an then walking straight into England?, an' as for the pound, sure, Scotland would have a pound, and I'm no expert but before the Irish joined the euro they had their own currency didn't they?,... so why would Scotland be any different?

You can take a deep fried pork pie and Mars bar from Malaga to Nordcapp without a Border control wigwamclan, nobody will check your passport, never mind the sell by date of the pie.

That in itself may cause other problems with undesirables moving around but there are no Borders throughout mainland Europe. As Ivan says - it's a bit o' fun - if I'd my way I'd keep undesirables with Bee Emm Fookin' Double Yoo riders out of Scotland with a barbed wire fence and guard dogs at Berwick.......................

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#10 shadowjack

shadowjack

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 173 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:23 am

Well, as it's a bit of fun-

Great-great-grandDad's family voted with their feet (and by feet, I mean sailcloth and wooden planks), so, I'm really not sure what he would have thought. Can I take the "ÿes and no" option?

When I next talk to his great-great-great-grandson, who's over in that neck of the woods, I'll see if he has an opinion.

#11 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:29 am

Hi Dandy,

I spent my teenage years in Kilbarchan and was educated in Paisley so I have a great personal interest in the outcome of Thursday's referendum. Even in those days (the 60's) there was intense debate on the subject, the SNP had just been formed and Winnie Ewing famously won Hamilton for them.

One thing I learned was how emotional all Scots get (and rightly so) when matters relating to Scotland are debated. Unfortunately, even in those days I was struck by how hard economic facts were sometimes not allowed to get in the way of the emotional argument. For my part I think that the Union has served both sides of the Border well of hundreds of years and we are stronger for it in an increasingly hostile World. I have followed closely all the arguments in the current debate and, for my part, feel that Alex Salmond is just another politician i.e bends the truth to support his own point of view. This wouldn't matter if the consequences weren't so potentially serious. I understand the need for the Scottish population to identify as a proud nation, they always have done and with good reason, but to launch themselves into a potentially disasterous course of action is not worth the risk.

Whatever the outcome, Scotland will always be a great place, but will it be a better place? I think probably not.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#12 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:42 am

MyTDM.jpg

Edited by masterbrewer, 17 September 2014 - 08:45 am.

#13 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:59 am

Aye, but it'll be a different pound. That Scots one was worth about 12 and a half pee.

Will it be benchmarked with Sterling ? Currency speculators (like George Soros in '92) will try and make a killing.

Personally I'm dismayed by the current trend of Balkanisation, globally. It tends to encourage tribal nationalism, when we would prolly be better of with more integration rather than less.....

Anyhoo, didn't Scotland take over England ? James VI and all tha'.

Stu

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:29 am

Isn't this 'passionate about Scotland' Alex Salmond geezer the same geezer wot sold off part of Scotlands beautiful coast to that merkin Trump ?

I agree the vote seems to be dividing, not unifying Scotland and I hope there aren't any lasting repercussions as a result, regardless of which way it goes.

I vote stay together, I don't wanna pay import duties on my Tunnocks Tea Cakes. :cake eating:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,446 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:49 am

You can take a deep fried pork pie and Mars bar from Malaga to Nordcapp without a Border control wigwamclan, nobody will check your passport, never mind the sell by date of the pie.

That in itself may cause other problems with undesirables moving around but there are no Borders throughout mainland Europe. As Ivan says - it's a bit o' fun - if I'd my way I'd keep undesirables with Bee Emm Fookin' Double Yoo riders out of Scotland with a barbed wire fence and guard dogs at Berwick.......................

Behave Dandy - you know they'll just go west and cross over at Gretna. Now then, maybe Ewan and Charlie could make a programme about that - The Not so Long Way Across.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#16 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:02 am

I'm with Stu, they can call it whatever they want, and "Pound" certainly makes sense as they've already got loads printed, but it'll be a different pound to the UK pound.  It has to be, 2 countries with no say in eithers economy can't share a currency.  The only way to share a currency is with some high level links/agreements in the economy as seen with the Euro, however it would take them a fair while to transition to that I'd have thought, and given the state of Ireland/Greece/Portugal's economies compared to Germany would they want to?

I'm just not sure how people can vote on whether or not to go independent when big questions like what currency they'll use, whether they'll be members of the EU haven't even been resolved yet. 

On the plus side if Scotland vote Yes the UK rainfall will go down by 20cm/year, the average temperature will increase by 0.5 degrees, and our life expectancy will go up by about 5 months so it's not all bad :D

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#17 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:46 am

At least I made it here when I did 

aa77d68d6c08e0dab70db25285634511.jpg

#18 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,514 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:58 am

Well, our clocks will not need to go back in October for a start - no longer a need to worry about ye Scots farmers.  If it's 'Yes', they are not thinking about future generations because they will pay heavily in due course (IMHO). Scotland would be so weak financially it is difficult to see what they can do for a currency (there's always 'barter', I suppose). It just shows what subterfuge underlies this project. Finally, it would not surprise me if the first dignitary to arrive was Putin as a poke in the eye for the English government! Scots are rightly proud of their nation (I love 'em) but I cannot believe that they will vote 'Yes'. Otherwise, good luck to us all.

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#19 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:05 am

for me, I can't see why the Scots shouldn't get independence even if it's just so the guys who feel disenfranchised can settle their hearts...then, if they decide they miss the sense of community we can come together again. :giveusahug:.

..why it's being pitched as a 'now or never' or an 'if you go, you stay gone' ultimatum is beyond me......after all my other half ran back to her mam a couple of times before she realised I was the best thing since sliced bread  :image018:

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:44 pm

I'm with Stu, they can call it whatever they want, and "Pound" certainly makes sense as they've already got loads printed, but it'll be a different pound to the UK pound.  It has to be, 2 countries with no say in eithers economy can't share a currency.  The only way to share a currency is with some high level links/agreements in the economy as seen with the Euro, however it would take them a fair while to transition to that I'd have thought, and given the state of Ireland/Greece/Portugal's economies compared to Germany would they want to?

I'm just not sure how people can vote on whether or not to go independent when big questions like what currency they'll use, whether they'll be members of the EU haven't even been resolved yet. 

On the plus side if Scotland vote Yes the UK rainfall will go down by 20cm/year, the average temperature will increase by 0.5 degrees, and our life expectancy will go up by about 5 months so it's not all bad :D

Now you tell me, can I change my vote please ? :unsure2:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users