51 replies to this topic

#1 mad dog

mad dog

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:04 am

Just a short one, my side stand angle looks wrong when compeard to others the bike leans over too much, anyone else had the same problem or poss know the reason.

I was going to get one from ebay but the guy wants stupid money for postage!

md
Mad Dog<br /><a href="http://www.stevetredgett.co.uk"target="_blank">Steve Tredgett Photography</a><br />

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:12 am

Should be an easy one to solve. Either parked in a dip, sidestand bent or summat up where it attaches, or the bike has grown.

Always worth posting in the wanted section here if you are after bits. I might have a spare side stand kickin aboot.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:29 am

mine leans over MUCH further than most of my mates bikes, sometimes making me panic and double check the stand is actually down. huh.gif
depends on the ride height and how your set the rear suspension up.
mine (an ohlins shock) is set to max height and hardest settings as i often ride with full luggage (going home for the weekend etc) so when there is no load it stands quite high. blink.gif
i'm hoping at some point i'll meet someone who knows how to set up suspensions properly and who can show me what it all means. unsure.gif
i can follow instructions in a manual but when it comes to adjusting by feel or previous experience i'm buggered. dry.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#4 mad dog

mad dog

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:45 am

QUOTE(Toneski @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mine leans over MUCH further than most of my mates bikes, sometimes making me panic and double check the stand is actually down. huh.gif
depends on the ride height and how your set the rear suspension up.
mine (an ohlins shock) is set to max height and hardest settings as i often ride with full luggage (going home for the weekend etc) so when there is no load it stands quite high. blink.gif
i'm hoping at some point i'll meet someone who knows how to set up suspensions properly and who can show me what it all means. unsure.gif
i can follow instructions in a manual but when it comes to adjusting by feel or previous experience i'm buggered. dry.gif

you could have somthing here as the guy I brought it from had full luggage but I have binned it as I dont need it I knoe the adjuster under the seat is set to hard but thats all I know about the suspension set up.
Mad Dog<br /><a href="http://www.stevetredgett.co.uk"target="_blank">Steve Tredgett Photography</a><br />

#5 mad dog

mad dog

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:48 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should be an easy one to solve. Either parked in a dip, sidestand bent or summat up where it attaches, or the bike has grown.

Always worth posting in the wanted section here if you are after bits. I might have a spare side stand kickin aboot.

thants what I thought, I have posted in wanted.

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:51 am

QUOTE(mad dog @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why not post up a pic of yer sidestand and the bike and we'll tell ya if it's the stock stand or not ??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:53 am

QUOTE(mad dog @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why not post up a pic of yer sidestand and the bike and we'll tell ya if it's the stock stand or not ??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:23 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats a good idea

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats a good idea

you could post it twice just to make sure we see it tongue.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#9 Nanook

Nanook

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:54 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thats a good idea
thats a good idea

you could post it twice just to make sure we see it tongue.gif

Oi! That's my mate you're having a go at pal!

Mind you he is a bit strange. rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif
Beware the whitevanman!

#10 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:42 pm

QUOTE(mad dog @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a short one, my side stand angle looks wrong when compeard to others the bike leans over too much, anyone else had the same problem or poss know the reason.

md

Got a pic on level ground? And where is the guy - could somebody collect for you?

Edited by Pict, 07 February 2007 - 01:43 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#11 mad dog

mad dog

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:48 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got a pic on level ground? And where is the guy - could somebody collect for you?

I will post a pic soon and await all your comments.

#12 Guest_jude_*

Guest_jude_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:03 pm

QUOTE(mad dog @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

md

I think different bike stands vary from bike to bike,and correct me if im wrong but dont side stands become weaker after a time, this i have been told by other bikers i know.

#13 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:04 pm

QUOTE(jude @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think different bike stands vary from bike to bike,and correct me if im wrong but dont side stands become weaker after a time, this i have been told by other bikers i know.

Usally the parts that wear on the side stand is where it is bolted to the frame.The hole where the bolt goes through the side stand the frame goes oval so bike leans more ,good ideal to grease that part plus also the part that goes round the frame spreads apart aswell .

Edited by aytcat1, 07 February 2007 - 05:05 pm.

#14 mr sat nav

mr sat nav

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 159 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:05 pm

I'm quite interested to see the piccy as I always have to do a double take when I put my bike on its sidestand, it always feels like its going to fall over!
IPB Image

#15 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:40 am

I thought the same of mine so I had a mate cut the little arrow head from the end of the stand and weld a section in. Presto...bike no longer looked like it would topple over.
2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#16 Mick

Mick

really likes Carpe

• 94 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:22 am

A couple of years ago my TDM fell over and the sidestand bent. The result was that the bike leant over too far.
I took off the stand, heated it up with an oxy torch and bent it back to what looked straight and now it seems to sit right. I was a bit worried about the heating up weakening the stand material but it has been fine since, the only noticeable thing is a bit of discolouration around the area that I heated up.

Mick from Tassie

#17 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:32 am

QUOTE(mr sat nav @ Wed 7th Feb 2007, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm quite interested to see the piccy as I always have to do a double take when I put my bike on its sidestand, it always feels like its going to fall over!

The main scary thing is the poor forward angle (contrast, say, BMW) - it's just too easy to knock it back, and I'm always careful of downslopes.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#18 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:20 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 8th Feb 2007, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's just too easy to knock it back,

Tell me about it! How to look like a complete prat!

Edited by Andy K, 08 February 2007 - 11:20 am.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#19 beeble-tdm9

beeble-tdm9

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 154 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:15 pm

This is interesting because the complaint I have about my stand is that it leaves the bike upright too much. I have very little confidence in the side stand. Although thinking about it I wonder if the GIVI engine bars may be interfering with it(?).

I have got a centre stand too though.
--

Previously Owned: 1997 Yamaha SR125, 1998 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion
Currently Own: 2003 Yamaha TDM900, 1981 Honda CX500 US Custom, 1995 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion

#20 Andy R

Andy R

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:32 pm

Check out the hole where the side stand is bolted on. On my old BMW this hole ovalled, causing my bike to lean too far over.
www.myspace.com/andyrothers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users