45 replies to this topic

#1 Reaper07

Reaper07

sticking around

• 31 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:21 pm

Hi all

Well it's been a whilst since I've had a problem with the beast but this morning she did not want to start and she's popping up with error 11 manual says it's the cylinder identification sensor can anyone tell me do I just need to replace the sensor or is it going to be something else please help me thanks. TDM 900 2007

#2 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:33 pm

Does it even try to start, or are you just getting a click when you press the go button?

Can't remember if I've seen Err.11 before, but I'd suggest getting the battery on the charger overnight to ensure it's got all the beans.

If you still have problems after that then start looking into the less common problems.

A good percentage of 900 starting issues are due to its sensitivity to battery voltage.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#3 Reaper07

Reaper07

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:15 pm

No dmmsta all I'm getting after turning the key is the check with all the clocks hit the button and came up with error 11 took the battery off and its been on charge since 7am this morning don't think its the battery only few month old and battery fully charged soon as I hooked it to charger before this it was struggling to start last week but it fired up after a few seconds and only just fitted new spark plugs week ago.

#4 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:43 pm

Error code 11 is the cylinder identification sensor and won't allow the engine to start.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:02 pm

Swap the cam sensor with the speed sensor to test, will run a bit rough but at least you will know, can be done to get you home in a tight spot.... £90 for a new one or chance a used item which is what I did.
That's the 3rd 900 I know of now with this problem, assuming that is the issue !!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 Reaper07

Reaper07

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:26 pm

Dablik think I'll give that ago thanks think I've got an idea were the cylinder sensor is not sure were the speed one will be can you shed some light please.

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:18 pm

If you take off the plastic outer cover for access to the sprocket you will find another cover  :) take it off and the speed sensor is inside, unless you have ABS, then you wont have one i believe.

Edit.......will drag the manual out tomorrow for a look as it was a good few years ago, in the mean time this will give you an idea as cant seem to find them on the parts fiche.

If you take off the sprocket cover and then the shift shaft cover, the sensor should be inside me thinks.

Edited by dablik, 01 June 2015 - 09:49 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Reaper07

Reaper07

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:03 am

Thanks again dablik I will give it ago just need the weather to come round now won't stop raining.

#9 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:38 am

I've got a set of the workshop manuals stashed here if it's any help http://www.fieldscie...co.uk/link/TDM/

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:53 pm

Just had a look at Chris's link above, choose the manual for 2002 and under the engine section paragraph 5-7 will show where the cylinder identification sensor is located, for the speed sensor which it does not show (least i cant find it) go to paragraph 5-51 that will at least show you where the speed sensor rotor is, been awhile since i was in there but sure you'll find it Reaper  :good:

Also if i recall the sensor swap is mentioned on the jbx site, need a link anyone please, not getting a hit, or better where's a Frenchman when ya need him  :)

This is exactly what aircooled and i did with my bike to check the cylinder id sensor years ago.

#11 Reaper07

Reaper07

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:40 pm

Thanks for all the help guys not sure it is the sensor maybe the battery it's been on charge bout 28hrs rain finally stopped got it in and started with no errors so would you say its the battery that's knackered.

#12 Kang

Kang

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:49 pm

Check your HT leads and Coils

It takes Two to Lie Marge, One to Lie and One to Listen

#13 Reaper07

Reaper07

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:53 pm

Did a diag check and they were fine Kang.

#14 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:13 pm

HT leads won't show on the diag, they leak and lose there power by arching against the frame and cylinder head.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#15 Reaper07

Reaper07

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:34 pm

Ok don't have a clue how to check them any info on how Catteeclan.

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:42 pm

Take the side panels off start the bike and chuck a bit of water over the coils, well not a bucket full :P  spray a little water or flick it on with your hand and you will see pretty colours, have a look on the frame as often theirs a tell tale sign, black scorch marks.

Read this and a search will bring up plenty more posts.

#17 Reaper07

Reaper07

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:06 am

Great thanks dablik I'll get this checked soon as I can thanks again guys.

#18 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:25 am

Didn't bother checking mine, they got the self amalgamating tape treatment anyway. It's a common failing so def worth doing. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#19 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:38 am

Didn't bother checking mine, they got the self amalgamating tape treatment anyway. It's a common failing so def worth doing. 

:wifgeni:

For the cost of the SA tape, and the time it takes just tape 'em up ;)

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#20 Reaper07

Reaper07

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:38 pm

Well I have a scorch mark on both sides of the engine so will be getting the tape and getting them done this friday really hope this is the fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users