• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 groucho

groucho

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:46 pm

I am about to install some heated grips to my TDM900 and wonder if anyone can advise me on the best way to route the wiring. I've also noticed the left grip is a poor fit (too loose). Do you think it will be ok to wrap a bit of tape around the bar to make a tighter fit. Thanks.

#2 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:59 pm

I routed mine into the ignition switch circuit. Tape adhesive will only melt with the heat best to use heat resistant glue

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#3 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:35 pm

When I have used the stick-on grip heaters which go under regular grips (as opposed to heated grips), I generally wrap the bars with heat shrink or, even better, silicone tape (like Rescue tape/self amalgamating tape).  This reduces the heat sink effect whereby your left grip doesn't get as hot because a lot of heat goes to the bars instead of the grips.

The fact that you have extra room for this is a bonus.  I'd give it a few wraps of silicone tape - it's resistant to heat and will keep the heat going into the grips.

#4 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:01 pm

I used the glue that came with the kit.
Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#5 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:41 pm

.....was interested in the heading for this post, as I'm also contemplating heating the grips.....probably using the Symtec ones....,
But apart from Dandy's useful hint, it appears no further info forthcoming re: wiring.....
Maybe, for those more proficient, 'wiring via the ignition switch circuit' says it all, but I'd have loved, if not a diag. , then more of a hint as to which wires go to where....

....... that is by the bye, and certainly not in the nature of a complaint..........or indeed what my point is.....

I was then surprised, when resorting both to the 'Knowledgebase', and the 'Search' facility, with variations on 'wiring for heated grips' that nothing at all came up......as I have found on one or two similar topics in recent times......stuff we've chewed over on here, sometimes in depth, that would be v.useful to be able to regurgitate when needed.......

Am I missing something?.....or have we lost stuff from the archive?.......how come a search for 'heated grips' comes up with zip.
Again, not griping, nor decrying the much appreciated contribution of our 'divine admins'.......just wondered how come?

....ducking!.......waiting for the brickbats.......Jiff

#6 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:00 pm

.........get my retaliation in first!

Full of self-doubt, I 'searched' heated grips again.....& wadda-y-know.....in amongst the previous topics, & discussion on glue & stuff was some info. on wiring an' all sorts.......must have been a glitch previously.......either at my end or on here.......
....believe me, I spent quite a while trying to find it last time...

So, part egg-on-face......sorry!......Jiff

#7 groucho

groucho

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:54 am

Thanks for the tips guys. I've noticed also that the new grips are shorter than the originals by about 10-12mm. Why is nothing straightforward?

#8 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:33 pm

I had the same problem. So I cut off a bit of the old grip to make up the difference.
Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#9 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:35 pm

I run my accessories (heated grips, GPS, and lights) off a separate 4 circuit fuse block that is powered off a relay.  I use the rear taillight wire to trigger the relay.  The relay is under the seat, near the other relays.  The wiring runs along the main harness on the right inside of the frame and I mounted the fuse panel outside the frame on the right side (opposite of where the RR is mounted).  Here is the fuse block I used:  

71fEooXd2-L._SX522_.jpg

I am definitely the type of guy who would walk away from the bike with the heated grips/GPS/lights still on.  So I definitely prefer my extras to be connected to switched power. 

#10 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:48 pm

In my experience nearly every attempt to improve one's motorcycle brings about some new problem. I put R & G heated grips on my bike - they were incidentally, crap. Then I installed a throttle tamer to make the throttle less jerky on speed humps. This has been a great help but I had to do away with the heated grips. So I decided to try heated gloves instead (Gerbings). After my first journey with these I noticed that I had a large burn blister on a knuckle also one glove was hotter than another so I had to send for a new pair. I haven't tried these - I expect they will give more problems. At present my problem is that I have bought fuel exhausts and now the bike runs really jerky so I bought a Dobeck fuelling device from the states and guess what - I had to pay £30.00 duty and handling charge and now Parcelforce have lost the package ! I have also made many futile attempts to improve the windscreen and reduce wind noise - another sequence of wasted money and failures.
My advice - Buy a bike you like with everything on it that you need and then leave it alone - you cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

#11 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:48 pm

In my experience nearly every attempt to improve one's motorcycle brings about some new problem. I put R & G heated grips on my bike - they were incidentally, crap. Then I installed a throttle tamer to make the throttle less jerky on speed humps. This has been a great help but I had to do away with the heated grips. So I decided to try heated gloves instead (Gerbings). After my first journey with these I noticed that I had a large burn blister on a knuckle also one glove was hotter than another so I had to send for a new pair. I haven't tried these - I expect they will give more problems. At present my problem is that I have bought fuel exhausts and now the bike runs really jerky so I bought a Dobeck fuelling device from the states and guess what - I had to pay £30.00 duty and handling charge and now Parcelforce have lost the package ! I have also made many futile attempts to improve the windscreen and reduce wind noise - another sequence of wasted money and failures.
My advice - Buy a bike you like with everything on it that you need and then leave it alone - you cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Still, mustn't grumble eh?  ;)

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#12 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:07 am

I'm afraid I agree with tomwal on this. Would you even think of buying a car without heating. somewhere to plug in your sat nav  or a jack.

Everyone has a smart phone these days and winter comes round every year. Don't even get me started on the centre stand thing :rant:

#13 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:14 pm

By that logic, nobody should ever buy a Mk1 then? 

While I agree that tinkering can cause additional problems, I think totally avoiding it paints too broad of a picture.  Adding an accessory circuit for things like heated grips and a GPS is fairly simple and harmless provided you have the extra electrical output available.

But even beyond that, how many motorcycles are properly sprung for even an average size man, much less a larger person?  How many have decent headlights, much less extra lighting for safety?  There isn't a bike I have ever owned that didn't need some extra fiddling here and there. 

#14 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:50 pm

Apologies for my grumble - I was having a bad day and had been having problems with Parcelforce and their failure to deliver my parcel and at the same time make an £8.00 handling charge. I must say I do find it satisfying to make mods to a bike - it is just that any problems are often exacerbated by external complications - I guess one just has to accept them as part of the job. Also it is quite hard to buy a bike that has everything you want - they all have shortcomings - at least the TDM ticks the most important boxes - economy, comfort, lightweight and good performance.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've noticed also that the new grips are shorter than the originals by about 10-12mm. Why is nothing straightforward?

I used some bicycle handlebar stem spacers that I had lying around. You can buy them at bike shops and they come in various widths and in black or silver finish. I put mine at the inner end of the grips i.e not next to the bar ends. They looked really neat.

#15 Staffy

Staffy

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:23 am

I bought the Oxford adventure ones and they are only marginally shorter than stock.  I also found the left was a loose fit but I didn't bother with any insulation - just the glue that was provided with it.

With the wiring I seem to remember a wire in the main fuse block (blue? maybe?) is a good point for taking off ignition power.  Mine is wired to a relay and the main unit for the grips is mounted in the rear under the seat.  The wires have been routed under the tank with existing wiring and cable ties every 6-12 inches to ensure they stay tied in with the existing wiring.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users