#1 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:55 pm

Howdy again! Last topic for today I promise:

As part of the ongoing saga for my old 3Vd, when the fence in my garden was replaced in the winter, I think the bumbling workmen must of somehow leant on/fell on my bike as when I uncovered it a few weeks ago to resume work on it, both left indicators were snapped off at the bolts. (Front and back). I so then decided to replace, but with LED units for two reasons:
A) - To save more precious volts, and
B) - Tiny amount of wanting it to look smarter, and as Ive got LED headlights, thought they'd go together. So:

I bought a relatively cheap set, and also knew I'd need an LED specific flasher relay and also a diode kit for the dash blinker. I've fitted the units, the FL, and also the diode kit as per instructions and various research and videos I've watched. However, they still do not work. Absolutely nothing. So far I've checked:
FL is receiving 12 volts
FL is wired correctly (noted B, L and E from old wiring.
However, where I've fitted the diode kit under the dash, its only getting about 0.10 volts. Also each indicator itself only received 0.10 volts whem switched in that direction. I know LEDs draw less wattage, but I'm assuming I should still see 12volts under the dash to the dash blinker, and at each indicator respectively when that side is engaged?

Has anybody done this/experienced similar issues/know where I'm going wrong?

Again, many rounds of thanks and appreciation in advance!

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:13 pm

Not sure that you need the diode kits if you've already got the LED specific relay.

Sure someone on here with lectrickery knowledge will confirm.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:42 pm

Hmm, okie doke. I had tried before the diode kit, and all four came on (very very dimly), and no flashy!

#4 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 06:52 pm

So, I've been doing a lot more research, a lot more fiddling, but still haven't got them quite working as they should. First rule of thumb I've read is:

If you have only ONE tell tale on the dash, just the LED flasher won't do it, as the power is always sent to both sides. If you DO have two (9ner peeps), the LED flasher should do it.
So in my case if you have the 1 tell tale, you need a diode kit to re-ground the tell tale and so only send the power to the side you wish. I have done this, but I still wasn't getting anything - No lighting up. Tested the FL, and although its getting 12v on the 'B' side, it's not outputting anything on the 'L'.

I then fitted my old flasher back in, and hey - I got flashing on the correct sides when I wanted, left or right - but they were hyperflashing. This proves I needed the diode kit and that its working. More research ended with buying a resistor kit for each blinker, as this IS SUPPOSED to fix this issue. (So says the listing descriptions on fleabay). They arrived today, so I hastily fitted them loosely (just to test first). However, I still have hyperflashing. I tried the LED FL with resistors, still nothing. (As in no lighting up at all). They are still hyperflashing with the old FL, with or without the resistors. I did some voltage tests, and recorded my results:

Stock FL - With resistors fitted at each lamp:
B = 12v
L = 2.3 - 4.09v when signals engaged
L = 9.84v when signals NOT engaged
Turn signals receive 2.3 - 4.09v when engaged.

Stock FL - WITHOUT resistors fitted at each lamp:
B = 12v
L = 3.3 - 5v when signals engaged
L = 9.84 when signals NOT engaged
Turn signals receive 3.3 - 5v when engaged.

LED FL - With resistors fitted at each lamp:
B = 12v
L = 0v when signals engaged or not.
Turn signals receive nothing.

LED FL - WITHOUT resistors fitted at each lamp:
B = 12v
L = 0.03v - 0.04v when signals engaged or not
Turn signals receive 0.03v - 0.04v when engaged.

Help!
I know I'm not the greatest at leccys, but I'm getting better, and better than I used to be.

I will do some more research and see if I can get to the bottom of this. How hard can it be?!

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:38 pm

You need a 10 ohm 10watt resistor in parallel on each indicator, this simulates the normal load with the oem relay and it will flash normally. obviously they will need heatshrink or whatever to insulate them.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:28 pm

Try reversing leads of LED, unlike a bulb the act as one way diodes.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#7 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:35 pm

You need a 10 ohm 10watt resistor in parallel on each indicator, this simulates the normal load with the oem relay and it will flash normally. obviously they will need heatshrink or whatever to insulate them.

Ahhh... Thats super helpful, thanks Lee. Just checked the ones I got, and they're 21W 26 ohms. I'll return them and find the correct ones!

#8 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:15 pm

Just fitted 10 ohm 10watt resistors, and they're still hyperflashing. Annoyed now.

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:50 pm

Are you fitting the resistors across the two wires ?  From memory I disconnected the indicator connectors and bridged a resistor across them. One for left side, one for right side.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:19 pm

I believe I am Studley..This is how I'm fitting them:

20200522_221236_zpscmuhgsyp.jpg

Fitting one of these at each lamp.

#11 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:20 am

What a pain in the arse, must be an easier way.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#12 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:42 am

Just fit em in-line and your woes will be over - one for each side may be enough (it is on my 9er).

Attached File  20200522_221236_zpscmuhgsyp.jpg   136.87KB   0 downloads

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:09 am

Ah right, yours are different to what I had, I just had the actual tupenny resistor.  Follow Favs advice and you'll be a happy chappy. :good:

#14 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:08 pm

What a pain in the arse, must be an easier way.

Pain in the arse is one way of describing it!

Thanks Favs, music to my ears that I should be able to fix this without buying more bits, but I am still a little confused as there is a positive and negative from both indicators and bike loom. Do I ignore these negatives and simply fit the resistors in line using just the positives?

#15 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:48 pm

Ok butcher650 

Separate one indicator wire / plug one end of the resistor  (let's say Black), into the bike side of the wire / plug the other end of the resistor (Red) into the the indicator end of the wire you separated. If you want to test the R value set your meter to Ohms and apply a probe to each end of the resistor (BTW your bike takes 21w lamps IIRC so should have 21w resistors (900 have 10w)). If you need 2 more resistors I have a pair of 10w in the shed somewhere). The result is you get brighter indicators but no power saving.

HTH

Edit

Just noticed you have 10w resistors so may not have enough resistance for stock flasher unit.

Edited by Favs, 23 May 2020 - 04:02 pm.

#16 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:40 pm

Ahh I see - So like this:

20200523_183526_zpsntvvrnx0.jpg

Ok - I do have 4 21W ones too that I bought first: Would I need to use these ones then?

20200523_183555_zpsthz5eb72.jpg

#17 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:52 pm

I'd try the 21w first with stock flasher unit & yes that's the way to wire em.

#18 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:18 pm

Super! Thanks ever so much Favs, you're a diamond.

#19 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:45 am

So, I've just tried with the Red 10w and the Yellow 21w resistors, wired in the above way, and they're STILL hyperflashing. I do have an LED relay, but when I've had that fitted and tested, it recieves 12v, but doesn't output any voltage. Do I need that in conjunction with resistors wired in the above way?

#20 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:30 am

So, I've just tried with the Red 10w and the Yellow 21w resistors, wired in the above way, and they're STILL hyperflashing. I do have an LED relay, but when I've had that fitted and tested, it recieves 12v, but doesn't output any voltage. Do I need that in conjunction with resistors wired in the above way?

i thought LED relays didn't need any resistance to work, that was the point of them in the first instance

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users