• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:39 pm

Has anyone noticed if certain tyres are more prone to puncturing ?

I suffered a rear puncture yesterday, cost me €38.00 to have it repaired professionally !

But while I was examining the tyre I did notice rather a lot of small cuts with shards of glass embedded in them.  At last I got to use the bit on my old scout knife for taking stones out of horses hooves !!

I'm running Michelin Pilot Road 3's, both about a year old and covered about 14,000 km. centre tread measured 7mm new, now showing 4.5mm.

A puncture is something I dread nowadays. OK, tubeless tyres mean you're less likely to suffer a rapid deflation like the old tubed tyres, so they're safer, but I've never put much faith in roadside repairs.  For example, the pin-hole puncture I had would have been very difficult to detect at the side of the road without a handy horse trough or even a decent puddle !

Both of these are quite rare in my neck of the woods.  

So what's the consensus on puncture repairs from people with experience ?

#2 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 September 2020 - 10:48 pm

I have a puncture kit, have fixed 1 mc tyre (screw) and 3 car punctures. All of them worked well for the rest of expected life.
Bjørge

#3 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:24 am

I've used RP3's for the last couple of changes and had no problem, in fact I love them.
I think I've only had 2 punctures since saying goodbye to TT100's in the 80's in fact! The memorable one in the front, on a brand new R1150rs at the first service (600 mile) that they refused to repair....another story!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#4 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,777 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 September 2020 - 11:04 am

For roadside repairs I've always used the repair string for punctures and never had an issue. Picked up a rear puncture on the way over to the RTT in Ireland some years back. Repaired it at the hotel and it lasted the 1200 miles or so that I did on the tour. To be fair, I've never bothered getting a permanent tyre repair done afterwards and just replaced the tyre as they've usually been at the lower end of tread depth when they punctured anyway.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#5 DeeBee

DeeBee

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 53 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:09 pm

I have had many punctures (I commute into London and am always filtering in the dirty bit between lanes)

They usually seem to happen very soon after you have a new tyre fitted!

My current T31 rear has had a professional repair since 1 week after it was new  5000 miles ago.

It has been fine, no leaks, no problems.

I have a tyre pressure monitoring system (about £30 from ebay) which gives accurate measurements and keeps your mind at ease.

I check tyres every week and remove all the glass and stones and nails!!

So I have faith in proper repairs (tyre removed, cleaned up, plugged with mushroom headed plug, GLUED, replaced on rim and Rebalanced)

Stay Safe

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:40 pm

I got a double puncture on the 3rd day of a 2 week tour of Europe.  Tyre had less than a thousand miles on it but I doubt any tyre would have not got punctured riding over a small length of barbed wire.  Got them both repaired using the rubber string jobbies and the tyre was fine for the rest of the tour, some 2500 miles.

I distinctly remember thinking how light the new tyre was when I bought it, so might be related.  May be the carcass is thinner ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:04 pm

For roadside repairs I've always used the repair string for punctures and never had an issue. Picked up a rear puncture on the way over to the RTT in Ireland some years back. Repaired it at the hotel and it lasted the 1200 miles or so that I did on the tour. To be fair, I've never bothered getting a permanent tyre repair done afterwards and just replaced the tyre as they've usually been at the lower end of tread depth when they punctured anyway.

I got a double puncture on the 3rd day of a 2 week tour of Europe.  Tyre had less than a thousand miles on it but I doubt any tyre would have not got punctured riding over a small length of barbed wire.  Got them both repaired using the rubber string jobbies and the tyre was fine for the rest of the tour, some 2500 miles.

I distinctly remember thinking how light the new tyre was when I bought it, so might be related.  May be the carcass is thinner ?

Sorry to show my ignorance, but what are "rubber string" things ?  Nothing to do with Incredible String Band surely ?   And how about inflation ?   Mini electric pumps I assume ?

I'm intrigued...

#8 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:22 pm

Are rubber strings AKA dog turds?

I've only had one puncture in recent memory, luckily I was close to a garage and got a can of Holts tyre weld which sealed and inflated the tyre. I always carry one now.

The tyre was professionally plugged, glued etc and despite the damage / heat from riding it flat, lasted until the tread reached minimum.

Bridgestone's have been my go to for years, a big reason being that they have a heavy carcass construction compared to Pirelli's and Michelin's. It might just be a mental thing but I feel they cope with our rough roads and gravel better because of it.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#9 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:55 pm

I guess neither of us have enough incidences (or abscence of) to be able to conclude in a statistically sound way, there are too much chance involved... just my 2cents
Bjørge

#10 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:45 am

I commute into London and am always filtering in the dirty bit between lanes

I'm sure this is a bigger factor than the choice of tyre.  The bits of road that don't get may cars on them are always filled with crap, especially the bit between the lanes at the entry to a roundabout where cars almost never go but quite a few bikes do. 

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:16 pm

Sorry to show my ignorance, but what are "rubber string" things ?  Nothing to do with Incredible String Band surely ?   And how about inflation ?   Mini electric pumps I assume ?

I'm intrigued...

Rubberly :)

s-l1000.jpg

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,394 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:25 pm

I'm intrigued...

Gorra pair of their albums on vinyl in the bottom of the wardrobe

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#13 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:02 pm

Rubberly :)

s-l1000.jpg

Because the Memsahibs still AWOL  I indulged myself over the cheese and port this evening by entertaining myself with YouTube.  And learned ( ? ) a bit about these sort of things.  These rubbery stringy things seem to do the job but I think I would have more confidence in those mushroom plugs.

What are your thoughts ?   And is there any advice about inflators ?

Gorra pair of their albums on vinyl in the bottom of the wardrobe

Are you hiding them ?   It's ok to own the Albums, it's the accompanying herbal cigarettes and small white pills that get you into trouble.... so I'm led to believe.

I think I'm still on the same subject of punctures, but what is the minimum tread before you change a tyre ?

I have had many punctures (I commute into London and am always filtering in the dirty bit between lanes)

They usually seem to happen very soon after you have a new tyre fitted!

My current T31 rear has had a professional repair since 1 week after it was new  5000 miles ago.

It has been fine, no leaks, no problems.

I have a tyre pressure monitoring system (about £30 from ebay) which gives accurate measurements and keeps your mind at ease.

I check tyres every week and remove all the glass and stones and nails!!

So I have faith in proper repairs (tyre removed, cleaned up, plugged with mushroom headed plug, GLUED, replaced on rim and Rebalanced)

Stay Safe

Anybody else used Tyre Pressure Monitoring devices ?

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:15 pm

Sidey also got a puncture on the euro tour and spent 2 hrs trying to do a mushroom plug repair.  For some reason the device that holds and inserts the plug wouldn't release the plug inside the tyre, it was stuck to the device.  He finally sorted it with the rubber stringy stuff.

One thing worth noting, if you do get a kit, get one that has a file for cleaning the hole, not one that has a corkscrew type thread.  The file will give a much cleaner hole than the other type.

Any small sized compressor should be fine for inflating the tyre, I think RAC and AA both do a mini compressor for around £12.

#15 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:03 am

Any small sized compressor should be fine for inflating the tyre, I think RAC and AA both do a mini compressor for around £12.

In roadside repair kits there is normally a few CO2(?) Cylinders for inflating the tyre. Never tried them, though.
Bjørge

#16 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:40 am

I carry CO2 cylinders and a Cargol kit (plastic screws that block the hole, meant a short term measure to get you to a tyre place for a proper repair, work really well), Luckily when I had a puncture miles from anywhere someone I was with had a compressor as we immediatly realised the flaw, you need to put some air in the tyre first to find out where the hole is, so need more CO2 cartridges than the reccomended amunt to fill the tyre.

CO2 cylinders are also hilarious when someone realises they'd be a good way to top up a leaking Fournales air shock and dissapears a cloud of CO2 and vapour :hehe:  Although to be fair Wicky did say the suspension was nice and firm all the way home.

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#17 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,394 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:43 am

CO2 cylinders - you'll need several to inflate - at least 3 x 16g to ride away with a v soft tyre

CO2 cylinders won't re-seat a tyre that has come away from the rim.........

I still have some - they are back up to compressor

As ChrisG said...............

#18 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:17 am

I doubt a little 12v compressor would either though.

#19 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,394 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:51 am

Nope it wont, but the ciggy lighter gas does :good:

Edited by Favs, 14 September 2020 - 11:52 am.

#20 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:42 pm

CO2 cylinders - you'll need several to inflate - at least 3 x 16g to ride away with a v soft tyre

I still have some - they are back up to compressor

Ahhh, good to know, would just about get to run the bike after flushing all 3 cartridges  :huh:

Seating a tyre is quite a different one - requiring up to 50PSI  :hide: ...but for a roadside repair this would normally not be required.

Bjørge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users