56 replies to this topic

#1 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:01 pm

Well, I roumered about a project bike and here it is.

1977 Yamaha XS750, Shaft driven triple

Went and picked her up tonight with the help of me dad, and of course the permission of the missus biggrin.gif she is wonderful and the best for letting me have a second bike (she told me to say that)

So, If your interested I'll happily keep you all upto date, First thing on the agenda is to get the engine running. Once I know its a good un then I'll start stripping her, sandblasting parts and painting.

So far I'm pretty much decided I'll be chopping the back end off so it finishes above the rear wheel, making a lot of parts shiny and chrome and going for a Yellow Kenny Roberts style paint job.

No idea on how long its gonna take, in one way it may never be finished. However I hope to have her up and running for Next summer. I'm going to be aiming for a date in June next year so I'll just have to see how close to that I manage it biggrin.gif

Cheers
Lew wink.gif

Edited by LewisBlackburn, 06 November 2011 - 11:03 pm.

#2 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:47 pm

Nice one, keep us in the loop
Trotski

All ways remember, A Pessimist Is Never Disappointed

'98 CT200P AutoAg , '93 Purple Kawasaki ZZR 250, 2004 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250 2005 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250
1999 Baltic Blue TDM 850 2010 Black TDM900

#3 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:04 am

QUOTE(LewisBlackburn @ Sun 6th Nov 2011, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I roumered about a project bike and here it is.

1977 Yamaha XS750, Shaft driven triple

Went and picked her up tonight with the help of me dad, and of course the permission of the missus biggrin.gif she is wonderful and the best for letting me have a second bike (she told me to say that)

So, If your interested I'll happily keep you all upto date, First thing on the agenda is to get the engine running. Once I know its a good un then I'll start stripping her, sandblasting parts and painting.

So far I'm pretty much decided I'll be chopping the back end off so it finishes above the rear wheel, making a lot of parts shiny and chrome and going for a Yellow Kenny Roberts style paint job.

No idea on how long its gonna take, in one way it may never be finished. However I hope to have her up and running for Next summer. I'm going to be aiming for a date in June next year so I'll just have to see how close to that I manage it biggrin.gif
Cheers
Lew wink.gif

Way Brave Project

I bow to you

As others,
Start a new post and shit loads of pics
Best of luck

Cats

#4 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:32 am

Looks like a bit of a job there. Good luck.PM me if you need any help with bits and that.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#5 NZTDMGUY

NZTDMGUY

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:29 am

http://www.yamaha-triples.org/

Join these guys. I found them invaluable when I had the triples to play with.

The second gear undercut makes a big difference to the shifting.

Cheers
2008 TDM900 in lovely red
Scorpion cans
Power Commander (under review)

#6 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:20 am

ce one Lewis, I had a number of these excellent bikes, back in the dim & distant, although I must admit I never had one that looked like that..... laugh.gif

Good luck with the project, I will watch with interest.

#7 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:26 am

Cheers Cats, I rekon I'll need it biggrin.gif

Cheers Lee, I may be taking you up on that offer, I've read that some parts are unobtainable now so have to be machined. We'll see though.

Had a look at the site over the weekend, I will be joining soon.

Cheers

#8 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:18 pm

we all gotta help the guy, him being so brave and all, taking that on...It's still a Yamaha when all is said and done.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:46 pm

QUOTE(leehenty @ Mon 7th Nov 2011, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we all gotta help the guy, him being so brave and all, taking that on...It's still a Yamaha when all is said and done.

Might be a while afore Cats can get in there to help ! tongue.gif

It'sa bloody great big walloppin' boike innit huh.gif Triple cylinder, shaftdrive = lots to learn & discover !

Might have a spare headlight bulb ferrit ! Then I can say I've helped ya ! laugh.gif
TBH I reckon Lew will want to do most of the mechanical & body work himself if it's gonna be customised, except for Lee's blingy stuff ' course smile.gif

Good luck with it Lew, take lotsa pics for reference porpoises and label/store everything PROPERLY ! Don't trust your memory and you'll be fine smile.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:29 pm

oh and soak the exhaust studs in diesel for WEEKS. They are the same as the 850 made of quick shear metal. Last time I dealt with an XS of any sort was years ago I still have the scars. unsure.gif

#11 RobC

RobC

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:48 pm

might still have a manual somewhere, I'll take a looksee

#12 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:40 pm

Proper moneypit ........be far cheaper to go out & get yerself a brand new R1 on 0% finance mate laugh.gif

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#13 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:23 pm

QUOTE(leehenty @ Mon 7th Nov 2011, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any help much appreciated

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Mon 7th Nov 2011, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Might be a while afore Cats can get in there to help !

It'sa bloody great big walloppin' boike innit Triple cylinder, shaftdrive = lots to learn & discover !

Might have a spare headlight bulb ferrit ! Then I can say I've helped ya !
TBH I reckon Lew will want to do most of the mechanical & body work himself if it's gonna be customised, except for Lee's blingy stuff ' course smile.gif

Good luck with it Lew, take lotsa pics for reference porpoises and label/store everything PROPERLY ! Don't trust your memory and you'll be fine smile.gif

Yeah, I'll be doing most of the bodywork, I may get the seat done, but it depends what I want, not decided on that yet. And anything I think I'm decided on, well, I'll no doubt change my mind about sooner or later biggrin.gif
That being said, ANY spare parts will be needed, This will be on a budget, I'm not gonna scrimping for everything, but I still have a roof to keep over my head on a modest wage, at the end of the day if its a shiny bit for the bike or food on the table I'd rather be full up and ready to work for more money than starving and glaring at a shiny bike.

Oh and for the pics, I'll be taking plenty in a bit when I start on the carbs biggrin.gif

QUOTE(leehenty @ Mon 7th Nov 2011, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh and soak the exhaust studs in diesel for WEEKS. They are the same as the 850 made of quick shear metal. Last time I dealt with an XS of any sort was years ago I still have the scars. unsure.gif

Will do, Like the ones on my old GS500, they are notorious for shearing the header bolts off. Plus gas is a highly recommended product of which I will be purchasing for the header studs when I come to them.

QUOTE(RobC @ Mon 7th Nov 2011, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
might still have a manual somewhere, I'll take a looksee

Cheers mate, that would be top good.gif

QUOTE(sidestand @ Mon 7th Nov 2011, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Proper moneypit ........be far cheaper to go out & get yerself a brand new R1 on 0% finance mate laugh.gif

Haha ! you could be right there, we'll see) Although, I think It would be will be well received here when I say it wouldn't be as much fun wink.gif

Cheers for all the interest, Its what will keep me motivated to get it complete.

Thanks
Lew wink.gif

#14 treadman

treadman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:46 pm

used t have a yamaha 750e, think i have a kph speedo never used,might be usefull to you one day
Neil

#15 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:09 pm

we just launched a new range on motorcycle gauges old style retro 'SMITHS' instruments we make under liecence. plus our sister company make, rebuilds, customise gauges, cables etc etc.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#16 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:08 am

shocked.gif Feck moi, that's not restoration, that's archaeology! rotflmmfao.gif I'm going to stick a copy of that first picture in my garage so that next time I'm struggling with my XTZ750 restoration, or worrying about the costs, I can look at that picture and realise my problems are trivial by comparison groucho.gif
Seriously though Lewis; good luck and the main thing is to enjoy & learn from the process. I used to love the look of those XS750s, but at the time I had a Suzuki GS fixation (note to Ivan, that's not the same as a BM fookin' W GS fixation) and so never even rode one. Keep us posted with progress.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#17 RobC

RobC

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:29 am

Found it - Yammy service manuel in English, French and German, PM me your address.

As for an XS750 as a cafe-racer, that's a bit like having the fat bird from the chippy as a pole dancer, but each to his own.

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:48 am

rotflmmfao.gif

Just been looking at some bike piccys and most of the modded XS750's were bobbed.

I did come across a kenny roberts XS650 street tracker though wub.gif

Have a look on www.bikepics.com Lew, there's quite a few XS750 on there smile.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:45 am

QUOTE(treadman @ Mon 7th Nov 2011, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
used t have a yamaha 750e, think i have a kph speedo never used,might be usefull to you one day
Neil

There wasnt a speedo with mine, How much you want for it? I might be interested.

QUOTE(Daveb @ Mon 7th Nov 2011, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we just launched a new range on motorcycle gauges old style retro 'SMITHS' instruments we make under liecence. plus our sister company make, rebuilds, customise gauges, cables etc etc.

Who's we? I'm probs gonna go for modified clocks, custom made would be even better, allbeit probarbly more Expensive. tongue.gif

QUOTE(Matlock @ Tue 8th Nov 2011, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
shocked.gif Feck moi, that's not restoration, that's archaeology! rotflmmfao.gif I'm going to stick a copy of that first picture in my garage so that next time I'm struggling with my XTZ750 restoration, or worrying about the costs, I can look at that picture and realise my problems are trivial by comparison groucho.gif

Haha ! Thanks biggrin.gif Your more than welcome too.

QUOTE(RobC @ Tue 8th Nov 2011, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Found it - Yammy service manuel in English, French and German, PM me your address.

As for an XS750 as a cafe-racer, that's a bit like having the fat bird from the chippy as a pole dancer, but each to his own.

PM sent good.gif
LOL, what can I say? I like big girls??? who knows, although I dunno what my skinny size 10 missus would think to that one!

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Tue 8th Nov 2011, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rotflmmfao.gif

Just been looking at some bike piccys and most of the modded XS750's were bobbed.
Have a look on www.bikepics.com Lew, there's quite a few XS750 on there smile.gif

The bloke who had it before me used it as a donor bike for his bobbed XS850, and I've seen a few bobbed. But you know me, i like a challenge and like to be different biggrin.gif I've had a look on bikes pics, some good inspiration on there biggrin.gif

This is What im going for -
Im gonna be more or less copying this but, I'll add my own touches here and there.

Edited by LewisBlackburn, 08 November 2011 - 11:55 am.

#20 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:05 pm

QUOTE(LewisBlackburn @ Tue 8th Nov 2011, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is What im going for -
Im gonna be more or less copying this but, I'll add my own touches here and there.

My word, you've got your work cut out...

But I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of it wub.gif
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users