#42 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:40 pm

Some nice bikes on that site - this one is pretty TX750, never heard of those before.
APW

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

Long Loved TDM is no longer with me...

#43 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:28 pm

QUOTE(apw99 @ Mon 16th Jan 2012, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some nice bikes on that site - this one is pretty TX750 never heard of those before.
APW

aye the TX was the fore runner to the XS1, back in d'early 90's a good ole mate of mine (RIP Beany) bought an imported one and it was mint, so much so Danfay in Sallynoggin offered him around £5000 (punts) but he wouldn't sell it excl.gif Oft wondered where that TX ended up after he eventually sold it on ???

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#44 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:53 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Tue 17th Jan 2012, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aye the TX was the fore runner to the XS1, back in d'early 90's a good ole mate of mine (RIP Beany) bought an imported one and it was mint, so much so Danfay in Sallynoggin offered him around £5000 (punts) but he wouldn't sell it excl.gif Oft wondered where that TX ended up after he eventually sold it on ???

XS1 was 3 years before the first TX model I think you will find. good.gif

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#45 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:10 pm

just got back from a compant visit at Metisse Motorcycles, we are looking at supplying gauges. The cafe racer is wonderful.

997cc Twin
http://www.motorcycl...se-motorcycles/

The Scrambler
http://www.metisse-m...tevemcqueen.htm

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#46 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:21 am

QUOTE(Daveb @ Wed 18th Jan 2012, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just got back from a compant visit at Metisse Motorcycles, we are looking at supplying gauges. The cafe racer is wonderful.

997cc Twin

Pics of the 997 and the 650:

http://www.flickr.co...60917/lightbox/ wub.gif
Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#47 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:14 am

Got quite a bit of work done today biggrin.gif

Good News

I bought a newer ignition circuit off a bloke from the US (quite some time ago) on the TDM forum who made himself known to me, so today that was fit and wired up.
I roped in the help of my Brother and Dad to get the ignition circuit sorted biggrin.gif There much better when it comes to electricaltrickery than me.

Solid state ignition is on and we tested all coils and they are all sparking biggrin.gif Wohooo !

Bad News

Starter Motor - We tested the starter motor which seemed to be spinning, Which was very good, However it was spinning a little too quick and freely, After a moment we realised it wasn't turning over the engine !!! And after taking off the L/H cover it appears there is no Cog on the end of the starter motor ! There is also no starter Solenoid and no starter motor cable, which leads me to believe the bike was used with kick-start only or parts were donated.

First Gear - Also we seemed to be unable to engage first gear, tried spinning the wheel, a a few other things. We could go form second to Neutral but couldn't get down to first. Any ideas on that one?

Back to a little good new to finish, I now have 3 main objectives which need to be met before i progress any further.
1 – Fix starter Motor
2 – Get engine Running
3 – Tidy up wiring loom

In order to get turning over with starter motor I need :
Starter solenoid – missing
Starter motor cog/motor with cog + Cipclip – missing
Starter motor cable – 40Amp/10mm – missing
Battery cable – missing

In order to get the engine running
Air filter
Oil filter
Spark Plugs
Oil
L/S cover Gasket – The one i took off was knackered and needs replacing

In order to tidy up the wiring loom
Connectors – different type/number pins – Gonna renew all connectors, I’ve seen the article on the new website so I’ll have a good butchers there.
Wire – colour coded – I want to keep the original colour coding on the wiring as to make things easier when referring to the manual.
Ignition lock set – mine is cream crackered, I have one from an old Aprilia which i may be able to make fit, I’ll have to see.

So I’ve got lots of work ahead of me, I best get to it biggrin.gif

Edited by LewisBlackburn, 19 February 2012 - 12:55 am.

#48 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:03 am

Yambits sell the starter relay and also a wiring terminal kit, ignition switch and lotsa other bits for yams smile.gif

http://yambits.co.uk/parts_by_bike.php

Not bad prices either !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#49 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:22 am

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Sun 19th Feb 2012, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yambits sell the starter relay and also a wiring terminal kit, ignition switch and lotsa other bits for yams smile.gif

http://yambits.co.uk/parts_by_bike.php

Not bad prices either !

Cheers for that, As its quite a long lists of stuff and money is, well, shorter than the list, I'll be taking this next step slowly biggrin.gif

Plenty of cleaning to do though

#50 vicens66

vicens66

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:56 am

Nice caferacer in classic motorcycle mechanics and a little bit of the history of the xs750 good.gif

#51 OldGit

OldGit

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 133 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:57 am

These guys are near me, might be of help / provide inspiration?

Sprit II 850cc Triple
Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.

#52 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:31 pm

Ok, So I've have a few weekends on the bike recently, with a little, well, a lot of help really, from my dad and my brother.

No pictures yet but here's an update biggrin.gif

Got the starter motor working, cog from a xs1100 starter motor, which are the same as the 750's bar the bottom end. May be useful to know wink.gif

Oil and filter has been changed.
New Spark Plugs have been fit.
And wiring loom has been set up and hot wired in order to get the bike started.

Now comes the problem, I couldn't get it started, Electric start was turning the bike over, and each coil was generating a spark but the engine wasn't starting.
Likewise the kick start again was turning the bike over but it wasn't starting

Now, I have 3 thoughts on the cause of the problem :
1) Ignition timing
2) Valve Clearances
3) Carbs

1) So number 1, and first because I think its the most likely. With the solid state ignition, I've had the ignition plate off multiple times and I'm guessing the timing is out, so how to I set it?
I have a manual, however its for a 77 with points ignition. Is it the same process of different?

2) Valve Clearances - Suspected as there didn't seem to be much fuel, if any, getting to the combustion chamber. when taking the plugs out they weren't soaking wet, and didn't smell overly of fuel even though quite a lot had gone out of the bottle.
Also, after taking the plugs out and squirting fuel down the plug holes the bike backfired through the carbs.

3) Carbs: I've totally rebuilt and cleaned the carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner, new kits have been fit however I've no idea on the standard setup. In regards to what screws need to be on how many turns.
The pilot screws confused me with the spring behind them. The book says standard is 2 - 1/4 turns. Is that from the Pilot being all the way in?
I'm reluctant to turn them all the way in as I bent 2 of the new ones when putting the carbs together. (Don't know how, they bent when screwing in straight! They just seemed not to fit.)

Ok that was a big update, any help appreciated as always biggrin.gif

Cheers
Lewis wink.gif

#53 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:03 am

It could be the valve timing and/or the ignition timing. I'd guess the ignition timing setup for the '77 would be the same process.

Pilot screw turns are measured from fully in smile.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#54 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:50 pm

Cheers matey, gota a long list of things to cheque, gonna set up the timing first, nice and easy job apparently biggrin.gif

#55 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:41 pm

With my last XS750 I did a silly thing trying to do some tinkering with the carbs and turned the wrong screw(s) blink.gif I was following the haynes manual but got mixed up.

End result was that it was a pig to start until I got someone who knew what they were doing to look at it properly balance the carbs. The only way was about 30% throttle and it would start and then be fairly ok

Just be careful not to put too much fuel in the oil.........

#56 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:04 pm

kill switch ok ?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#57 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:31 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Wed 25th Apr 2012, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kill switch ok ?
I believe so, otherwise the electric start wouldn't have turned over the starter motor.
QUOTE(TKH @ Tue 24th Apr 2012, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With my last XS750 I did a silly thing trying to do some tinkering with the carbs and turned the wrong screw(s) blink.gif I was following the haynes manual but got mixed up.End result was that it was a pig to start until I got someone who knew what they were doing to look at it properly balance the carbs. The only way was about 30% throttle and it would start and then be fairly okJust be careful not to put too much fuel in the oil.........
Tried giving it some throttle too when starting, it wasn't having that either I'm afraid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users