8 replies to this topic

#1 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:11 pm

Just fitted the power commander I bought from Nils in Sweden and in case anyone else decides to fit one of these be aware that the instructions could be misleading. The problem I had was that the instructions said to split 2 stock connectors from the FI system, one white and one black which are located under the LHS of the tank, and connect relevant PC connectors to them. Duly located what I thought were the connectors, which were located in the same place as the picture showed, and indeed the white one was correct, however, the only black connector would not marry up with the pc connector. Had a good swearing session, which didn't sort the problem out but made me feel better, and then called a PC distributor, Dynatech Performance, Bramley Green near Basingstoke. Really helpful guys but they insisted that the unit is correct and is the same model used for all TDM's between 2002 and 2007. Resorted to studying wiring diagram and identified relevant cable colours etc and then traced them out on the bike. Turned out that the black connector on my bike was nothing to do with the FI system and the connector I needed was another white one which was buried in the loom. Connected it all up and bike started first time.

And the moral of this story is...don't believe everything you read!
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#2 robgosty

robgosty

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 187 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:41 pm

Hi Saga, just curious, what map are you using and any other mods, eg end cans, K&N, air box mod etc, there was a long thread on a while ago concerning maps etc,

Edited by robgosty, 29 March 2008 - 06:43 pm.

Yamaha XV 1000
Kawasaki GPZ 750
Honda CBR 1000F
Yamaha XV1100 Virago
Yamaha Yellow TDM 900
Suzuki Hayabusa

Current
2000 Yamaha XJR 1300

#3 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:06 pm

QUOTE(robgosty @ Sat 29th Mar 2008, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Saga, just curious, what map are you using and any other mods, eg end cans, K&N, air box mod etc, there was a long thread on a while ago concerning maps etc,

Have installed map M406-501 from PC website, this is for use with OE exhaust and air filter although I fitted a K&N last year and made the air box mod at the same time. Don't know for sure, but figured this won't make much, if any, difference to pc performance. Can't give any further feed back at present coz I haven't yet ridden bike. Will post findings when I know more.

Edited by Saga Lout, 29 March 2008 - 07:08 pm.

#4 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:55 pm

If you can undo the airbox mod, in case you can still reach under the tank easily, so re-attaching that tube to the flap, it would help a couple of us (on another thread). We're thinking that the airbox mod might not be needed after the PC installation (since that should solve the FI character), so it might just bring advantages when you attach the tube again. And the maps might actually be tuned on engines with the airbox mod not done...
Emile
www.piloot.com
'80 Honda CB400T Hawk, '92 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, '90 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, '92 Honda ST1100ABSTCS Pan European, '00 BMW R1150GS ABS, '04 Yamaha XP500i T-max, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, '06 Yamaha TDM900A GT, '02 Honda ST1300A Pan European

#5 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:57 am

QUOTE(E-njoy @ Sat 29th Mar 2008, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you can undo the airbox mod, in case you can still reach under the tank easily, so re-attaching that tube to the flap, it would help a couple of us (on another thread). We're thinking that the airbox mod might not be needed after the PC installation (since that should solve the FI character), so it might just bring advantages when you attach the tube again. And the maps might actually be tuned on engines with the airbox mod not done...

You make a good point but I will see how it goes first as I can't be bothered to take-off the fairings and unbolt the tank again. huh.gif

#6 robgosty

robgosty

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:02 pm

Running my PC111 with airbox mod done, however i got PC111 from Hartside Man and am running a map made by Dandy, not sure if this map was made with airbox mod done or not, maybe Hartside or Dandy have more info, failing that will re-connect pipe and see what effect (if any) it has
Yamaha XV 1000
Kawasaki GPZ 750
Honda CBR 1000F
Yamaha XV1100 Virago
Yamaha Yellow TDM 900
Suzuki Hayabusa

Current
2000 Yamaha XJR 1300

#7 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:16 am

QUOTE(Saga Lout @ Sun 30th Mar 2008, 04:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just fitted the power commander I bought from Nils in Sweden and in case anyone else decides to fit one of these be aware that the instructions could be misleading. The problem I had was that the instructions said to split 2 stock connectors from the FI system, one white and one black which are located under the LHS of the tank, and connect relevant PC connectors to them. Duly located what I thought were the connectors, which were located in the same place as the picture showed, and indeed the white one was correct, however, the only black connector would not marry up with the pc connector. Had a good swearing session, which didn't sort the problem out but made me feel better, and then called a PC distributor, Dynatech Performance, Bramley Green near Basingstoke. Really helpful guys but they insisted that the unit is correct and is the same model used for all TDM's between 2002 and 2007. Resorted to studying wiring diagram and identified relevant cable colours etc and then traced them out on the bike. Turned out that the black connector on my bike was nothing to do with the FI system and the connector I needed was another white one which was buried in the loom. Connected it all up and bike started first time.

And the moral of this story is...don't believe everything you read!

I can also vouch for this. When I connected mine to what I thought were the right ones the bike started and ran, it wasn't until the dyno run that the guy said the throttle % wasn't registering correctly and when he checked the connections I had picked the wrong white one(supposed to be Black), he swapped this over and all was good. Stupid instructions. I got photos somewhere, will post them up when I find em.
2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#8 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:17 pm

QUOTE(Sparra @ Mon 31st Mar 2008, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can also vouch for this. When I connected mine to what I thought were the right ones the bike started and ran, it wasn't until the dyno run that the guy said the throttle % wasn't registering correctly and when he checked the connections I had picked the wrong white one(supposed to be Black), he swapped this over and all was good. Stupid instructions. I got photos somewhere, will post them up when I find em.

Glad I'm not the only one to experience this but glad you got sorted aswell.

On a more positive note, I've booked mine in for a dyno check in a couple of weeks time which should show up any fueling issues and whether or not I need to play around with the mapping. Will keep you all posted if I discover anything new...or probably more likely require your help!

Also, don't know if anyone else thinks the same as me, but I'm not very impressed with the PC website as it dosen't give any instructions for making manual adjustments using the units faceplate buttons and display, or even how you are supposed to use them. I know its not a problem adjusting the settings on a laptop but if they put these controls in place then surely there must be a procedure for using them unsure.gif

#9 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:29 pm

QUOTE(Sparra @ Mon 31st Mar 2008, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the throttle % wasn't registering correctly and when he checked the connections I had picked the wrong white one(supposed to be Black), he swapped this over and all was good. Stupid instructions. I got photos somewhere, will post them up when I find em.

Turned out that the black connector on my bike was nothing to do with the FI system and the connector I needed was another white one which was buried in the loom. Connected it all up and bike started first time.

I also connected the white connectors to all the white plugs, as stated in the installation pic. It ran fine for the last couple of months, until I wanted to check the throttle position today. It also wasn't registering the throttle position. So, like Sparra, I switched the three wired white plug with the black plug (thanks for that tip!) and now have all parameters showing. Makes me wonder what the other white one was for as it doesn't seem to change a thing?

Anyway, made a pic while I was there to help those still wanting to install a Power Commander in the right way:

And this is where I put it (the main cargo bay is already a bit full because of tire puncture kit, first aid kit and CLS Speed chainoiler system):

As said before, the airbox mod was UNdone. So it's not plugged anymore. For those still wanting to do the airbox mod (if you're not going for a Power Commander), this is one way:

Emile
www.piloot.com
'80 Honda CB400T Hawk, '92 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, '90 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, '92 Honda ST1100ABSTCS Pan European, '00 BMW R1150GS ABS, '04 Yamaha XP500i T-max, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, '06 Yamaha TDM900A GT, '02 Honda ST1300A Pan European

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users