#1 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:50 pm

As some of you maybe aware, we were supposed to be having a day at Stormy's to service my bike, eat cake and generally have a day of fettling.

Obviously this won;t be happening now but i still need help doing the valve clearances and carb balancing.

Does anyone fancy either coming to mine or hosting it

God this sounds like a cheeky request, but i do need help (in more ways than one if ya talk to mrs Moose)

Lemme know if ya fancy it

Cheers

Moose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpe-TDM.net - A place where everyone can have their cake and eat it!!!!!

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

TDM has moved on, i now own a Black 2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without cake, we are merely just people who ride bikes

#2 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:34 pm

Could meet up for coffee and bullshit...

Could also help out with servicing but haven't done tappets or got shims to change unsure.gif

But have balance gagues and tools (3 different size hammers rotflmmfao.gif ) so can do the majority of the service!!!

Your'e more than welcome here??

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#3 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:17 pm

I've done the valve valve clearances on a 3vd and my old 900 so don't mind offering help. If Jolly doesn't mind hosting I'll gladly help as I haven't got under cover work space?

#4 Kaustic

Kaustic

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:25 pm

Hi

I would be up for that. My mechanical experience is limited (though I do know a bit about the heat treatment of steels buts thats the wrong end of an items service life ! ) , but on the other hand I make a rather good chocolate bannana loaf.

TDM Mk2a

Mods (so far) : Heavy duty chain & sprockets, Braided metal hose (front), DL650 handguards, Hyperpro progressive fork springs, Ohlins rear shock & Oxford Heated grips

Wish list : Home made panniers & frames, LED side light, crash bar, centre stand, oversize foot for sidestand.

#5 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:11 am

Sounds like we have a plan then, all we need now is a suitable date and time to check i have the necessary ingredients for Mucho Cakeo

Is the 1st of November any good to everyone? it's a Sunday, 2 weeks today i believe

Cheers

Moose

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

#6 Kaustic

Kaustic

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:23 am

HI there

I have nothing planned at all over the next couple of weekends.

I could do with a hand at looking & accessing the condition of my forks , steering head, suspension settings etc. I'm sure that something ain't as it should be. Is there an Abba bike stand available. I have one but its a pain getting the stand to somewhere to where someone can give me a hand one day by car, then bringing the bike the next day, then swapping back.

I'm looking at replacing the springs & oil, but I'll probally set that up to do over a weekend at work. Been reading up and looking at sites for what is available/recommended. I know that linear springs are technically the best solution but I'm thinking that a progressive might be better as I'm no racer. (They joke at work that my top box is to carry around a pipe and a pair of slippers). Also thinking that some of the supplies of progressives come with recommended settings , spacers , oil etc' . I would assume that this has come from development work carried out on TDMs (especially from European manufactures as it a far more popular model over the ditch) . For the linears from racetech your just buying a spring to a set of dimensions and spring rate.

Any comments ?

K

TDM Mk2a

Mods (so far) : Heavy duty chain & sprockets, Braided metal hose (front), DL650 handguards, Hyperpro progressive fork springs, Ohlins rear shock & Oxford Heated grips

Wish list : Home made panniers & frames, LED side light, crash bar, centre stand, oversize foot for sidestand.

#7 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:07 pm

Yup I have a Abba stand and a garage so I guess I'm hosting blush.gif It has heating and a ready supply of tea coffee and maybe biccys!!!

I live in Thetford so not too close for all of you but it is central..

I'm free next weekend but not the one after (31st 30th).

I'll suggest we start just checking head race and front end set up before stripping your forks apart Kaustic??

There is a Halfrauds in Thetford and normally have filters in stock for around £5, If you want need to buy stuff online for fitting then you can have it sent here to save worrying about transporting it??

I'm now a carbon whore!

#8 Kaustic

Kaustic

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:39 pm

Thanks for that JG

I think I may have a found an approximate cause.......

What would you say would be the symptoms of the re-bound damping being different between the forks?
(Poor damping, directional instability ?)

I'm sure I set them both to 4 clicks out a couple of weeks ago when I up-ed the pre-load. Went to change them by one click this morning to see what the effect would be & I think I found that they were differrent. I re-set them again & went out for a run and all was fine with none of the effects that were bothering me from the other day.

Does this sound feasable or am I talking shite ?

Ill see if they have changed after a couple of more days of riding arounds. (And if so which side is has moved away from the set point.)

K
TDM Mk2a

#9 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:35 am

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Sun 18th Oct 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup I have a Abba stand and a garage so I guess I'm hosting blush.gif It has heating and a ready supply of tea coffee and maybe biccys!!!

I live in Thetford so not too close for all of you but it is central..

I'm free next weekend but not the one after (31st 30th).

I'll suggest we start just checking head race and front end set up before stripping your forks apart Kaustic??

There is a Halfrauds in Thetford and normally have filters in stock for around £5, If you want need to buy stuff online for fitting then you can have it sent here to save worrying about transporting it??

So you are ok for the Saturday 24th October?

I can do that but not 35th cos it's Mrs Moose's birthday

Is that ok for everyone?

Can ya get oil filter from Halfrauds?

Cheers

Moose

#10 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:58 am

QUOTE(Moose @ Mon 19th Oct 2009, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you are ok for the Saturday 24th October?

I can do that but not 35th cos it's Mrs Moose's birthday

Is that ok for everyone?

Can ya get oil filter from Halfrauds?

Cheers

Moose

Yarp and yarp!!!

Oil????

Kaustic yeah if they are odd it would make it orrible. Best thing to do is whined them in as far as poss then count clicks or marks out??

Catty are you free in sat 24th???

I'm now a carbon whore!

#11 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:53 am

Bugga. I'm supposed to be helping a friend move house. Sorry.

#12 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:38 am

If you still want to do everything apart form the valves we can still go ahead??

I'm now a carbon whore!

#13 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:57 pm

Or we could go for Sunday November 8th, is that any good to everyone?

Cheers

Moose

#14 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:30 pm

Yup fine wiv me.

I'm now a carbon whore!

#15 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:20 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Mon 19th Oct 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup fine wiv me.

Just need to make sure it's cool with K and Dave

Moose

#16 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:55 pm

Just out of interest Mr JG sir

Is it worth doing the emulsion tubes and stuff when we balance the carbs?

If so, what parts i need to get fella?

Cheers

Moose

#17 Kaustic

Kaustic

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:38 pm

I'm still fine, any day

BTW do you know who it was who wanted the Titanium discs for sacrificial tips to grind when cornering (I'm really not good with names but he was on the Mk1). I've got four from work. They are 25.4 mm dia x 5 mm thick.
(Ignore the small discs they are high speed tool steel and just about as hard as anything on the bike)

k

TDM Mk2a

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:00 am

Moose, your gonna need to allow time for the engine to cool down completely before you can check the valves. So, you might find your gonna be pushed for time if your also balancing yer carbies. It's definitely dooable though ! (in an ideal world !)
My Yam dealer gave my bike about 4 hours to allow it to cool down.
Anytime you have access to the carbs, is a good time to swap yer tubes.
You should only need to get the emulsion tubes, but you might need some new float bowl gaskets, depending...

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3ca57f6e82

Or order direct from straightline racing.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:24 pm

Yes Mr Mooosey we can do those too (I've never done it but it looks easy enough!!! Last famous words!!) and if catty is coming over to do tappets you should aim to be here as early as poss so we can get most of it done before about 12 then it would have cooled down enough for Catty to work his magic on yer valves clapping.gif

Can anybody tell me if the carbs on Mooses MkII are the same on MK1?? AS I want to do my Tubes and was thinking if we buy a set of replacement float bowl gaskets and didn't need them on his if they would fit mine??

Kaustic could those Ti thingys be used as sliders on me boots??

I'm now a carbon whore!

#20 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:40 pm

QUOTE(Kaustic @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW do you know who it was who wanted the Titanium discs for sacrificial tips to grind when cornering (I'm really not good with names but he was on the Mk1). I've got four from work. They are 25.4 mm dia x 5 mm thick.

that would be me =)
sending you a pm good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users