• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:15 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that would be me =)
sending you a pm good.gif

From what i saw you might wanna stick a cuppla cannon balls on the bottom, might last ya a bit longer ya loon rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif

JG, I can get to you as early as ya like, bacon is good for me whatever time of day rotflmmfao.gif I'll get the carb kit and might as well change the lot while we're in there if thats ok

Cheers for the cool down info, makes sense when ya fink about it istupid.gif so luckily wifgeni.gif

Cheers

Moose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpe-TDM.net - A place where everyone can have their cake and eat it!!!!!

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

TDM has moved on, i now own a Black 2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without cake, we are merely just people who ride bikes

#22 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:26 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moose, your gonna need to allow time for the engine to cool down completely before you can check the valves. So, you might find your gonna be pushed for time if your also balancing yer carbies. It's definitely dooable though ! (in an ideal world !)
My Yam dealer gave my bike about 4 hours to allow it to cool down.
Anytime you have access to the carbs, is a good time to swap yer tubes.
You should only need to get the emulsion tubes, but you might need some new float bowl gaskets, depending...http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3ca57f6e82

Or order direct from straightline racing.

I know it sounds like a kop out cheap bar steward option but is there a cheaper option as with all that it's looking to out price the value of my bike rotflmmfao.gif

Cheers

Moose

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

#23 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:27 pm

if the carbs havent been apart since new i would replace the floatbowl gaskets as you'll only have to go back and sort it out later when it starts leaking petrol all over the place

£40ish for emulsion tubes
£25ish for carb & airbox rubbers
£10ish for floatbowl gaskets
and a few sprays of carb cleaner

sorry i wont be able to make the fettling day

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#24 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:34 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if the carbs havent been apart since new i would replace the floatbowl gaskets as you'll only have to go back and sort it out later when it starts leaking petrol all over the place

£40ish for emulsion tubes
£25ish for carb & airbox rubbers
£10ish for floatbowl gaskets
and a few sprays of carb cleaner

sorry i wont be able to make the fettling day

Gonna be busy trying to grind the rest of ya hero blobs down? rotflmmfao.gif

Might have to just balance the carbs then til i can fund the parts, Xmas coming up and 3 demanding kids rotflmmfao.gif

Moose

#25 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:37 pm

i know i have atleast 1 set of spare carb rubbers in my box'o'bits and i gotta do tha 'toobs' on me TRX this week, so once thats out the way i may be able to send you a set

hows ya maths?
when i did the carb service thing on my TDM i gained an extra 10% on my mpg, 30% on my XTZ and expecting similar back from my TRX
work out the mileage you do and see how long it would take to save your money wink.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#26 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:57 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i know i have atleast 1 set of spare carb rubbers in my box'o'bits and i gotta do tha 'toobs' on me TRX this week, so once thats out the way i may be able to send you a sethows ya maths?when i did the carb service thing on my TDM i gained an extra 10% on my mpg, 30% on my XTZ and expecting similar back from my TRXwork out the mileage you do and see how long it would take to save your money wink.gif

When it comes to baking cakes it's spot on otherwise i'm ficker than the tread on my tyres rotflmmfao.gif

Moose

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if the carbs havent been apart since new i would replace the floatbowl gaskets as you'll only have to go back and sort it out later when it starts leaking petrol all over the place£40ish for emulsion tubes£25ish for carb & airbox rubbers£10ish for floatbowl gasketsand a few sprays of carb cleanersorry i wont be able to make the fettling day

Are those the tubes that go from inside the airbox and fit on the top of the carbs?

Moose

Edited by Moose, 20 October 2009 - 03:58 pm.

#27 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:14 pm

with a little artistic license...
assuming £20 a week fuel and with a 20% saving it would take roughly 3months to break even wink.gif

airbox rubbers fit inside the airbox and attach to top of carbs
carb rubbers are between the engine and carbs
you may find they are fine, if they arent cracked at all just hard put them in hot water to soften em up and then refit
if they are cracked they'll eventually leak air/fuel

My TDM :

#28 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• 3,312 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:19 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
airbox rubbers fit inside the airbox and attach to top of carbs
carb rubbers are between the engine and carbs
you may find they are fine, if they arent cracked at all just hard put them in hot water to soften em up and then refit

The Rubbers from airbox to carbs were a little hard about 3 months ago so like ya say i put them in hot water and refitted them and they were fine and no cracks

Think we'll just go with the balancing for now and then do the rest when i can get some sheckles together

Cheers for ya help

Moose

#29 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:30 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I stuck mine in hot water and they fitted better after than they ever did before!!

If they are cracked smear some clear mastic over the cracks and it fills them and they'll be fine good.gif Did this on my old GPZ and they were ok for 3yrs before I sold it yahoo.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#30 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:33 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stuck mine in hot water and they fitted better after than they ever did before!!

If they are cracked smear some clear mastic over the cracks and it fills them and they'll be fine good.gif Did this on my old GPZ and they were ok for 3yrs before I sold it yahoo.gif

I used to use Silkolene Pro-Prep on the old YPVS inlets, it seemed to rejuvenate them.
TAM

Edited by TDMTAM, 20 October 2009 - 04:34 pm.

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#31 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:44 pm

i think you should change your name to Jolly Bodger rotflmmfao.gif

My TDM :

#32 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:33 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think you should change your name to Jolly Bodger rotflmmfao.gif
I used to be known as "Billy Bodger"?? Yeah I have always fixed my bikes with the least amount of money possible! If not for free...

I'm now a carbon whore!

#33 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:46 pm

QUOTE(Moose @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Rubbers from airbox to carbs were a little hard about 3 months ago so like ya say i put them in hot water and refitted them and they were fine and no cracks

Think we'll just go with the balancing for now and then do the rest when i can get some sheckles together

Cheers for ya help

Moose

It's the 'unknown' extras that you may or may not need that needs to be accounted for. So a £40 tube swap becomes a potential £80 swap. BUT it makes sense to wait until you can afford to buy the lot should you need to.

JG, there's no real difference in the mk1 and mk2 carbies, fitting the tubes in both is an identical jobbie as such.

On the subject of cost, Wemoto prices seem to be getting up there. If you needed 10 valve shims you'd be looking at nearly £90 !!!! YES £90 !
That means I made a profit buying a head for £50 as the shims are worth £90 crayzeee hehe

Might be an idea to buy them tubes sooner rather than later as a) they might go up in price and b) they could run out of stock AGAIN ! 4 month waiting time.

Edited by Studley Ramrod, 20 October 2009 - 09:50 pm.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#34 Kaustic

Kaustic

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:31 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kaustic could those Ti thingys be used as sliders on me boots??

If you can find a way to attach them , then yes I suppose. You could drill and counter sink a hole through the center but they are only 5 mm thick. Ill grap a couple more tomorrow.

k

TDM Mk2a

Mods (so far) : Heavy duty chain & sprockets, Braided metal hose (front), DL650 handguards, Hyperpro progressive fork springs, Ohlins rear shock & Oxford Heated grips

Wish list : Home made panniers & frames, LED side light, crash bar, centre stand, oversize foot for sidestand.

#35 Kaustic

Kaustic

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:43 pm

When I had problems with cold running last year I had a look at the rubbers, there was some signs of cracking so I used super glue and black kitchen sealant tongue.gif which is what I had available. at the time.

TDM Mk2a

Mods (so far) : Heavy duty chain & sprockets, Braided metal hose (front), DL650 handguards, Hyperpro progressive fork springs, Ohlins rear shock & Oxford Heated grips

Wish list : Home made panniers & frames, LED side light, crash bar, centre stand, oversize foot for sidestand.

#36 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:55 pm

QUOTE(Kaustic @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I had problems with cold running last year I had a look at the rubbers, there was some signs of cracking so I used super glue and black kitchen sealant tongue.gif which is what I had available. at the time.

The only prob with super glue is it's brittle and melts rubber/plastic!! But if it worked it another great bodging fixing idea clapping.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#37 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:20 am

Any of you guys fancy popping down here for a weekend of fettling, cake & barbecues? I'm jealous! drinks.gif sad.gif

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#38 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:58 am

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Tue 20th Oct 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JG, there's no real difference in the mk1 and mk2 carbies, fitting the tubes in both is an identical jobbie as such.

The Mk2a (ie the one with a fuel gauge and digital dash) has different carbs though and you can't change the tubes on them.

Whoever it was mentioned the damping on each fork leg being different, it probably means you've got more oil in one side than the other, which in turn probably means a leaking seal. You can check the oil level fairly easily (fork off bike job but not too hard), and can change the seals with a bit of inginuity, but if the seals have gone I'd personally change the bushes as well which is a bit more tricky.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#39 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:18 am

Sunday the 8th is ok for me but we then have no-where open to get shims if needed.Come to think of it, I had to order what I needed last time anyway.

Edited by Catteeclan, 21 October 2009 - 07:19 am.

#40 Kaustic

Kaustic

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:31 am

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Wed 21st Oct 2009, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whoever it was mentioned the damping on each fork leg being different, it probably means you've got more oil in one side than the other, which in turn probably means a leaking seal. You can check the oil level fairly easily (fork off bike job but not too hard), and can change the seals with a bit of inginuity, but if the seals have gone I'd personally change the bushes as well which is a bit more tricky.

Hi

(Model Mk2a)
I THINK unsure.gif the problem lies with the rebound damping adjuster on one fork leg only. The setting is done by a number of clicks from fully in. I double check that I set them both the same whenever I change them. I think that over a period of time (weeks ? ) the adjuster on one side is jumping out of position. The effect is quite unpleasant ohmy.gif .

I reset them at the weekend & will give it a while & recheck again to confirm my hypothesis when it starst to feel all wrong againl . blink.gif

k

TDM Mk2a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users